Are strawberries safe?

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
Hello,
Iā€™ve been researching parrots for years but I am always finding new topics to learn about. I recently discovered that strawberries contain the protein FRA A1 as well as apples and this is considered bad as many parrots are allergic? Iā€™m not sure how much truth is really in this but I would love to know some of the information that you guys might have.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This is a good question. I have never found strawberries to be harmful, I have fed them to my birds and nothing has come of it. As far as I know, they are perfectly fine to give to parrots, however fruits should be fed sparingly as they contain a large amount of sugar. The only foods I am aware of that are toxic to parrots is avocado, onion, garlic, rhubarb, chocolate, alcohol, and of course you don't want to feed scraps from the table very often, usually contains some spices and lots of sodium or sugar.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Iā€™ve never heard anything about strawberries being bad for birds. I feed them occasionally to Kermit, because heā€™s my only bird who will eat fruit.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Strawberries are not harmful to anything but your fabrics if your fids wipe their beaks on them after eating!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Levi eats them, but only when they are super ripe ... haha :D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty eats them..... sometimes. He's fussy with them. Wash them really well.

syakti

Dec 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Hydutt (GCC - 4.5 years old) and Hero (Budgie - 3 years old)
My birds eat them with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
The rumor is they harbors fungus that can be deadly. That said Iā€™d liken the chances to salmonella warnings with chicken. Probablility is here but managed responsibly itā€™s not likely to be a problem.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
In rainforests there are fungus and mold spores everywhere. It damp. Nothing from the perches wild birds sit on to the fruit they nibble is "clean" or untouched by organisms of some sort.

I mentioned elsewhere that any creature kept in a strenuously sterilized environment will likely have a compromised and inadequately prepared immune system.

Keep things clean enough, on the dry-er side, and stored properly, maybe rinse with diluted vinegar if absolutely necessary that's generally all you need. To a certain extent birds' digestive systems have adapted to process most fruits, nuts and berries and the foodstuffs in their environment despite the plants' inherent mild toxicities.

Parrots Eat Nutritious Foods despite Toxins: Gilardi JD, Toft CA (2012) PLoS ONE 7(6): e38293.

Article can also be viewed here: US National LIbrary of Medicine / National Institutes of Health

salient excerpt:
virtually all plant parts chosen by parrots contained phenolics and other substances known to be toxic to vertebrates; a significant proportion of their observed foods contained levels that are considered to be highly toxic. Although direct testing of toxicity of each of these food items in a bird or even a vertebrate was beyond the scope of this study, as well as ethically problematic, the brine-shrimp bioassay was useful in providing a rough measure of toxicity, partly because the toxicities of these parrot foods varied over three orders of magnitude (cf. [39]). Indeed, the brine shrimp assay is widely used and accepted in human medicine and agriculture, as a quick and inexpensive proxy for toxicity experienced by vertebrates (see Methods). Accordingly, from comparison with toxicities of well-known plant secondary compounds tested with the same assay, and because some of these seeds, e.g., Hura [60] and Hevea [61], are known to be poisonous to vertebrates, we conclude that many of the plants consumed by parrots are toxic to vertebrates in general. Secondary compounds are well known to be produced by plants at often high cost to their own growth and reproduction (e.g., [62]) to deter herbivores. Plant secondary compounds are known to deter foraging in herbivorous birds and mammals, yet toxic foods were nevertheless consumed by these herbivores, presumably as a trade-off in obtaining higher nutrition or abundant available food [54], [57]. Parrots apparently try to avoid toxic food, but our study shows that their foods nonetheless contain measurable levels of toxins and thus avoidence of these compounds is lower priority than choosing foods with higher nutritional content. In other words, parrots are able to overlook the presence of toxins in their choice of nutritious foods. This ability separates parrots from many other avian herbivores targeting fruits of rainforest plants. Many if not most avian frugivores are unable to process toxic food and serve instead as animal dispersal agents and mutualistic partners by digesting only the fruit pulp [63].
No one has yet studied the physiological effects of toxins or costs of detoxification in parrots. Studies of other herbivores reveal that these costs may be high, depending on the environmental demands. For example, processing of secondary plant compounds that serve as toxic deterrents to vertebrate herbivores may have significant effects on sodium and water balance or require high energy or other costs in producing enzymes or carrier proteins such as P-glycoprotein [64]ā€”[66]. Although we do not yet know of specific physiological adaptations of parrots to detoxify their food, consuming clay has been shown experimentally to function in vivo in food detoxification in parrots [30]. The variety of foods consumed by parrots in this study may be related to obtaining protein and lipids from toxic foods, supporting the hypothesis that herbivores should increase their dietary diversity when confronting a variety of chemically defended foods [67]. An alternate but not mutually exclusive view is that plant secondary compounds provide herbivores with potential benefits, such as interacting with other molecules to cause foods to be more nutritious or to kill internal parasites [68].

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts