Scared for my daughter...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wishing the very best for your daughter, Terry. Hope she is feeling better and that you are spending some comforting time with her.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Any news, Terr?

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
Hope she is doing better!! That is scary, indeed! Many hugs!!!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
First of all, thank you all so much for your prayers and well wishes. Touched me so much and brought tears to my eyes.

Yesterday at the ER, they did several breathing treatments and her breathing seemed a little easier, but is still not anywhere where it should be. Turns out she was in the ER all night Sunday night as well, and did not want to worry me so never told me. They think she has some kind of viral infection that is exacerbating her asthma. She goes back in today as the research section of the hospital wants to include her in a study, and I am hoping they can actually do something that will help. She has been sick with this off and on since the beginning of Oct., and it just continues to get worse.

The Dr. was not impressive at all, and I am hoping she sees someone today that can help. She has her inhaler, and also some kind of preventative that I did not catch the name of, but that is not helping. She also got a script for Tylenol 3 to help with the pain in her chest from the constant coughing and struggling to breathe. The Dr. said that if she starts to have more trouble to come back...again.

This is so frustrating to not know what it is exactly, so they can't treat it.
I am hoping and praying that there is some progress made today. They did more bloodwork and x-rays, but nothing is showing up in either of those. Her lungs are clear, but yet she can't stop coughing and is just gasping for air sometimes.

Your continued prayers would be so much appreciated.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Terry - my grandkids have to watch their wheat intake. They can have a little but too much starts the asthma with one. My daughter started having trouble with wheat about a year and a half ago. Just a thought. Just have her watch what happens to her when she eats things...it could be dairy. It is something though. Is she living in a new house? Does she have a new friend that wears different perfume or cologne? Think WAY outside the box.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Terry - my grandkids have to watch their wheat intake. They can have a little but too much starts the asthma with one. My daughter started having trouble with wheat about a year and a half ago. Just a thought. Just have her watch what happens to her when she eats things...it could be dairy. It is something though. Is she living in a new house? Does she have a new friend that wears different perfume or cologne? Think WAY outside the box.

You know, I had never thought if a food allergy. She has allergies like hay fever, etc, so that is a definite possibility. She is living in the same house she has been in for 2 years, but I will ask her to talk to the Dr about the other things you brought up. How old was your daughter when she started having trouble with wheat?
Thank you so much for mentioning this!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Could it be that new virus that's is going around?

I will have to do some googling on that, do you know what it is called by any chance?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Terry, so glad for the update on your daughter! Food sensitivity can play a large part. Doc's are not a lot of help when it comes to asthma other than handing out meds to treat symptoms and being that everyone is different asthmatics can have different triggers though they have found that some things are stronger triggers in more people such as dairy and gluten, I can't have either without paying dearly.:( It will be important once she is feeling better to keep a food diary and try to pinpoint things that trigger more mucus production or tightness in the chest.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thanks Laura, a food diary is an excellent idea!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I hope they figure out what is going on and that she feels better soon.

For the possible gluten allergy... they can test her and it may come back negative but the test is kind of a joke. My mother has gluten intolerance because of her MS. She comes back negative on the testing for the allergy but giver her a crumb of gluten and she will be out for the count for a day or two. Give her a lot of it and she will have what is called the MS hug where she just gasps for breath for a minute or two and her muscles lock up all over. You will find gluten in the smallest of things so if gluten is playing a part she will need to pretty much revamp her whole diet. Believe it or not candy like twizzlers have gluten in it. And the more gluten she removes from the diet the more intolerant of it she will become. My stepfather is becoming gluten intolerant because of the reduced gluten intake since he basically eats what my mother eats.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Terry, I'm sorry Britty is still having resperitory problems after spending so many hours in the ER. I know she must be miserable. I hope they find out more today and are able to help her. Many hugs, warm wishes, and positive energy for you and your family.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Could it be that new virus that's is going around?

I will have to do some googling on that, do you know what it is called by any chance?

Entrovirus D68 (EV-D68) It caught my eye when it first came out because my daughter has Asthma. When she gets sick it hits hard and fast. They say it effects mostly children, especially those with Asthma. But it can effect adults as well. Something to consider, especially since your daughter has asthma as well.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Britty didn't tell you on Sunday out of fear of worrying you? It speaks to the powerful love she has for you that she could be concerned about worrying you in the middle of an asthma attack! When you're fighting for air, it's easy to forget everything else.

Keeping her in my prayers, Terr.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
You know, I had never thought if a food allergy. She has allergies like hay fever, etc, so that is a definite possibility. She is living in the same house she has been in for 2 years, but I will ask her to talk to the Dr about the other things you brought up. How old was your daughter when she started having trouble with wheat?
Thank you so much for mentioning this!
Terry - my daughter was 36. In my 50s my doctors started suspecting a wheat allergy with me.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Victoria, we will definitely look into her gluten intake as well. That must be terrifying for your Mom when she locks up all over, I can't even imagine:(

Thank you Wendy for the name of that virus, I am going to have Britty ask if they can test for that today. it is the right season, from what I was reading. It is a shame that there is nothing that can be done about it, but it would just be good to know.

Allee & Stephen, Thank you guys for the well wishes:) And Stephen, she knows now that she better not keep me in the dark again!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Terry, I'm so glad she feels a bit better now. I pray they will get to the bottom of what is causing it all, and that they will have an accurate diagnosis and a good treatment plan. That must be the scariest sensation when you can't breathe. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Terry - my daughter was 36. In my 50s my doctors started suspecting a wheat allergy with me.
I will have her ask them today at her appt. to see what they think. She is 28. It is so odd how we can suddenly become allergic to things we didn't used to be. It is just something I hadn't really thought about, but could definitely be a new allergy of some kind for her.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Yes, those late allergies can be insane. I developed an allergy to several fruits somewhere in my early 20's, and only discovered it while eating a bunch of black cherries one day and my throat began to close. VERY close call.

Most Reactions

Latest posts