Scared

sana13

Apr 27, 2012
Lahore, Pakistan
Parrots
Indian ringneck, *Twinkle*
Alexandrine parakeet *Cookie*
I have a 8 week old alexandrine parakeet. He was never scared of me when i brought him home but then he fell sick. After his recovery he always hides himself behind stuff and avoids every person, even me. When i reach out my hand to cuddle him he gets scared and runs to a nearest corner and sits there without even moving. Any help about how i can train him to not be scared of me ??
:confused:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
[FONT=&quot]Top on your list, a visit to an avian vet is a must. Let the bird be checked over, peace of mind for a healthy bird.
Your bird (name please) must have time to settle down and adjust. Just imagine how many new things the bird has encountered, So many new faces and voices, it must be so scary.
To gain your trust could take days, weeks, months even years. Each and every bird is so different. He obviously feels a comfort zone is his cage.
Sit near the cage, talking and singing to the bird. Let him become familiar with your voice. Leaving the cage door open, offer him treats through the bars at first. When he willingly accepts them, try placing a treat near the open door. Eventually he will starts taking the treats from the door, make no attempt to touch him. When he does come out, he will probably climb around on the cage. Let him explore in his own time. To get him back in, place a treat inside the cage, making sure it's visible.
When out the cage, he is jumpy. Are there perhaps not to many children surrounding him at one time. He might not be used to children, they may be excited being near him. Let them sit quietly, (which is difficult for any child) in the same room, for him to to become familiar with them as well. Please always be present, when the children are in the same room as him, especially if he is outside the cage. Birds can be extremely unpredictable, one of them could make a loud noise, and startled the bird, resulting in the bird biting one of them.
For the diet Harrisons pellets are recommended. As well as fresh fruit and veggies, and some plain nuts.
Please keep us updated how he progresses.

:grey:

[/FONT]

OP
sana13

sana13

Apr 27, 2012
Lahore, Pakistan
Parrots
Indian ringneck, *Twinkle*
Alexandrine parakeet *Cookie*
Thankyou so much for your useful advice :)
Yes i do spend a lot of time with him and talk to him. There are no children in the home. Just my mom, dad and elder sister so theres not much to worry about that. The cage door is open the whole time. And he's 6 weeks (sorry my mistake earlier) and still on hand feed. He's not frightened at all when he sees that im going to give him something to eat. I'll let you know if we make any progress.
Hope that happens soon

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Keep in mind the bird is still so young and tony, put yourself in his situation. He is sitting there quietly, and these ginormous hands come towards him. A birds naturally instinct would be to protect itself.

Is the bird in a cage yet? If so perhaps the size is scaring the bird.
I only placed Mishka in a sleep cage when he was 3 months old. Otherwise he was in a little basket, where I carried him around 24/7, he also slept in the basket.
If he is out the cage, sit on the floor with a little toy. Start playing with the toy, show him you are enjoying yourself and having fun. Do not approach him, rather let him come to you in his own time. Kiss the toy a few times, tell him what you are doing, then offer the toy to him to kiss. If he does not approach you, leave the toy on the floor, not far from you, Read a book, sing or whistle, that should get his attention.
Good luck
:grey:

Last edited:

Most Reactions