Scared!

AmazonKitty

Mar 9, 2013
Media
Middle Island, New York
Parrots
One Mealy Amazon
I just got my new BFA a couple of days ago. I love him already. For the most part he is really quiet but when upset let's out loud screeches. I live in a condo and tho he is not often loud, I'm afraid my neighbors will be bothered by him and the condo will make me give him up. My feeling is if I can have a 25lb dog that barks, I should be able to have a two pound bird.

He was also very calm (and more so quiet) when he first got here, but now he's tried to bite my face when before he let me get that close. Also has tried to bite my hands.

How can I train him not to bite and not to be so loud, quickly?

This is my first large bird so I will have many more questions coming.

Thanks All!

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
Biting is simple - sort of... Just don't put yourself in a position to be bit. Pay attention to his body language. Is he moving away from you? Is he puffing out the feathers on his head? Are his eyes pinning? You have lots of ways of telling whether or not a Zon is aggitated.

The screeching can be lessened, but it most likely won't happen quickly. You need to show your boy that screeching won't get him what he wants. Do not respond to the screeching in anyway if he is in his cage. If you do respond in ANYWAY - EVEN NEGATIVELY - he will have learned that screeching gets him some sort of attention. If he is out of his cage and screeches, put him back in for a five minute time out. Eventually he will learn that screeching gets him put in his cage. But this can take a while unless he is a super fast learner.

With both subjects, remember not to be negative about it. That won't help your situation.

Unfortunately Zons are naturally loud. It doesn't mean you can't keep his loud calls to a minimum, but the calls they make are natural to them. Lastly remember to respond to the calls/ sounds you do like. He will learn to use those calls instead of screeching.

Good luck.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I forgot to mention that when parrots are calling out they generally want something. If you can replace the screech with a word that can be great and Zons can be fast learners with speech. So everytime you let him out use the same word(s). Use the same word(s) with everything you do with and for him. He will learn to hopefully use words to express what he wants which can really lessen the screeches.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Grinders advise is good but there is now way of changing a perrots behavior quickly

OP
AmazonKitty

AmazonKitty

Mar 9, 2013
Media
Middle Island, New York
Parrots
One Mealy Amazon
Grinder, I'm having a problem with time out. I can't get him back in the cage. He starts screaching, wings spread, and trying to bite. Don't want to hurt him or scare him anymore, but most of all I'm a bit afraid when he's like that. I haven't picked him up yet (and I don't think he'd let me), especially when he is in attack mode. Extremely loud then.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I hate to give this advice, but one important thing is that you can't back down. If your Amazon learns that his acting out like this will get him what he wants (not going back into his cage) he will see himself as dominant and continue to do it. It's a tough situation. Of course it sounds like your bird came from a home of neglect so I am guessing ALL of this is going to be new to him. I could be completely wrong about this and if I am I hope someone corrects it immediately - if he acts out as you have said, you may have to towel him to get him back into his cage. If he has never been toweled he will probably act out even more, but it may be the only safe way for both of you to get him back into his cage. It's a 'Catch 22' in that he will learn that you won't back down which is good, but he will also associate toweling with a bad experience which it shouldn't be. In your case it may be the lesser of two evils since you are in extreme situation.

If you do not know how to properly towel a bird (how to hold below their beak so they dont bite you) then at least make sure his head is completely covered so there is less of a chance of him turning his head and biting you.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Maybe you could try having him step up on a stick.Its instinctive for them to want to be higher.I have a new rehomed older zon. He seems to have cage aggresion so we go in my bathroom ,me on the floor him on the laundry basket [and we have interesting conversations LOL] But I feel we are making progress away from the cage.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sorry, but it's complete bullpoop about the dominance thing. If a bird doesn't want to go back into the cage, then you need to teach the bird that going back to the cage can be an awarding thing, not a negative thing. When you force the bird back in the cage, you are not setting a good example, and it may cause problems down the road. However, if you teach the bird that going back to the cage doesn't necessarily mean being stuck in the cage, and that the cage can have goodies inside of it, you teach the bird that the cage is a desired place.

Judging by Kitty's photo, I thought he was an orange wing amazon, not a blue front.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about his health atm rather than how tame or friendly he is. Get him on the road to better health before worrying about how friendly he is with humans.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Training him not to bite is by not letting have the opportunity, birds bite and he's scared right now so the risk is high. Respect his space and give him time to adjust before you try handling too much. Deal with the medical issues and make him more comfortable.

Screaming, well Amazon's are going to scream sometimes Especially morning and evening they will do their flock calls.As he becomes more comfortable the rest.of the time it should lesson. He sounds like he is.panicking a bit, try distractions. Food, toys music and talking to him might help.

OP
AmazonKitty

AmazonKitty

Mar 9, 2013
Media
Middle Island, New York
Parrots
One Mealy Amazon
I haven't had to towel him yet. Walking away seems to be working. Whenever I approach, I come bearing goodies. Sometimes he will take from my hand. :32: He is panicking. If I walk away for any other reason, he seems to get upset I left! One of the reasons his name is Kitty is because if he was in a bad mood, I would sing Warm Kitty from the Big Bang Theory to him (not very well). He liked it.

When coming out of the cage I always say 'Out'. Going back in I say 'In'. I say 'Good Birdie' as praise and give him extra attention. He has not acted out at all today. Though I should probably not be so quick to say that.

I have heard him say Hello, but none of the curses I was told he says. Good sign, maybe?

Everyone's advice has been so helpful! Thank you and I'll be coming back for more :10:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I have a new rehomed zon as well, Jackie... One thing I've been doing to get her back in her cage is put a slice of fresh apple inside (first I show it to her so she knows there's a treat) and then walk away... so far it's worked almost every time. Find something your zon loves to eat!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I think you may be expecting TOO much of him in the short time he's been with you. Please give him time to adjust to his new home, sounds, surroundings properly. MOST importantly, have him checked by an avian vet. There has to be a reason his beak is THIS long, but only a vet can run certain tests to determine the possible cause.

Amazons WILL make noise. All birds do. Some are louder than others.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Jerseywendys right ,Im sure theres a reason for that beak.I thought I read once an over grown beak is due to a liver problem.Please get a vet to take blood and run all tests.The liver can repair itself with the right medicine. [I know this because one of mine had liver problems and were able to correct it] Cant wait to see his beak trimmed [post pictures] Good Luck

Most Reactions

Latest posts