Screaming

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Dear, Cockatoo owners!

I've got to ask, how loud are your Too's?

According to internet research, Cockatoo's make your head split, eyes pop and ears bleed with their screeching! :18:

Are they really that bad? If so, how on earth do you cope?

Anyway, I'm aware of morning and evening screaming but I’m interested in knowing how vocal are they during the day, with the correct care, entertainment and training...

I've heard cockatoo's squawk in zoos, sanctuaries and pet stores before...But it's still difficult to imagine what it might sound like in your own home!

Please share your experiences, good or bad!

Thanks!

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
The 19 year old U2 we had for two months screamed really, really loud when she was left alone. Then again, she had the sweetest little voice.

Chewbaca's scream is not loud at all, about like a rusty gate hinge.

Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Eastern Galah - Suki Lala 10 months old
Greyhound Cross - Max 7 years old
Great Dane Cross - Marque 2 years old
Rats -Lola 1yr old, Tsuyu, Enya, Fury all 6 months old, Cookie 8 weeks
Suki has screams that are ear piercing, but for the most part doesn't use them that often. She has her morning screams which are loud but not horribly so. During the day she only screams of I leave the room or is playing with her favourite toy. But again these are easy enough to ignore. Every now and then she can sound of a scream that makes you want to dive your head into sand. But she rarely uses it.

I think the bigger the too the louder the scream. Galahs being one of the smaller means her screams are half as loud as a sulfur crested or umbrella.

To picture how loud Suki can scream think of a fire alarm. Very loud not as high pitched but horrible but able to block it out. Or maybe as loud as when a large dog barks right next to your head. That's the loudest.

Luckily she doesn't scream often...

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Well, for starters, each bird is different. I've encountered several Toos that did have that head-splitting, ear-popping screech that Too's are notorious for. I've also encountered Too's that are the quietest things you've ever not heard. I think it all depends on the personality of the bird and how they've been raised, not to mention their current environment.

Sugar has morning and evening screams, and I live in a Duplex that doesn't have sound-proof walls. I hear my neighbors frequently, yet they swear up and down they do not hear Sugar. When she gets vocal, I can hear her anywhere in the house (again, my house isn't exactly the best for keeping sounds in specific rooms), but it's more than tolerable. If I'm anywhere other than upstairs or directly below her in the living room, you can barely hear her. I have a friend with a U2 and an M2 and hers scream bloody murder throughout the day. Theirs is the ear piercing kind of scream and it doesn't help that she has vaulted ceilings. She can shut the door on her bird room, and it's still extremely loud. The kind of loud that they make those videos of.

Sugar only gets vocal momentarily in the morning, and then shortly after dinner. Occasionally, but it's not an every day thing, she will get vocal sometime in the afternoon. Usually, she's quiet during the day though, if you don't count her talking to herself, lol.

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Thanks PortaPerch, Ginkai and KatherineI for answering what seemed like such a silly question! :D

I like Umbrella, sulphur-crested and citron cockatoos best (based on looks and what I've seen and read about their personalities)...Does anyone have any advice about any of those? I've read that the citron too's are quietest out of the three.

I don't live in an apartment or anything like that. I have an average sized three bedroom house so making noise isn't really an issue with neighbours (I Keep a rooster and a male pheasant in my garden :39:...They enjoy having a synchronised screech and "cocka-doodle-do" every morning, sometimes starting from as early as 4am! The neighbours have never once complained or even mentioned that they can hear either of them!)

Ginkai, you said Suki only screams in the day if you leave the room. When you say "she screams", do you mean constantly or just a few times before giving up? Are you able to preoccupy her with toys to keep noise at bay?

If anyone else has experience with cockatoos please share! :)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Thanks PortaPerch, Ginkai and KatherineI for answering what seemed like such a silly question! :D

I like Umbrella, sulphur-crested and citron cockatoos best (based on looks and what I've seen and read about their personalities)...Does anyone have any advice about any of those? I've read that the citron too's are quietest out of the three.

I don't live in an apartment or anything like that. I have an average sized three bedroom house so making noise isn't really an issue with neighbours (I Keep a rooster and a male pheasant in my garden :39:...They enjoy having a synchronised screech and "cocka-doodle-do" every morning, sometimes starting from as early as 4am! The neighbours have never once complained or even mentioned that they can hear either of them!)

Ginkai, you said Suki only screams in the day if you leave the room. When you say "she screams", do you mean constantly or just a few times before giving up? Are you able to preoccupy her with toys to keep noise at bay?

If anyone else has experience with cockatoos please share! :)

In my experience, it's usually the Sulphur's or the U2's that have been the screechers. M2's as well, but I don't find them as frequently. It depends on what you can handle - are you going to be able to handle the screaming twice a day, at minimum? They can also scream while they play, scream just to say "I'm here and I'm happy!! Life is great!", randomly. If anyone else lives with you, are they going to be able to handle it?

The rule of thumb in regards to Too's, again, from my experience, is to anticipate the worst and hope for the best. If you aren't going to be able to handle the worst, for whatever reason, then a Too is not for you.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I agree that it is a bird to bird, person to person thing. I have had many cockatoos and only one was so loud that she would interrupt your thoughts, make it impossible to be heard, ect, the others were definitely load, but much more tolerable. I however had a gold capped conure that was the worst for me, she was a sweetie, but goodness could she scream. I have had the whole gamut of toos from the goffins, to a mollucan and each bird was different. My neighbors could hear a few of my birds even though I live on 5 acres and keep the windows closed, it really is a matter of each bird. I had heard horror stories about the noise of macaws, yet my own is practically silent. (shrug) who knows.

Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Eastern Galah - Suki Lala 10 months old
Greyhound Cross - Max 7 years old
Great Dane Cross - Marque 2 years old
Rats -Lola 1yr old, Tsuyu, Enya, Fury all 6 months old, Cookie 8 weeks
The scream that Suki does when i left the room is one of the quietest its more like a two tone chirp of her yelling "hey mum where did you go?" Not very loud at all. And I'm working on that she now says hello 40% percent of the time when I leave.

But like everyone else said its different with every bird and person. I've met other galahs that makes you want to chop of your ears its so painful.

Basically if you can handle worst case scenario and it expect it to happen all the time then you can handle a too.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Sammy U2 only screams at dusk and he then he wants to be covered. My hubs and I don't even notice it really since we know this is just normal communication for a cockatoo. :)

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Thanks KatherineI. You're totally right about anticipating the worst and hoping for the best. I'm trying to figure out what the best and worse case scenario would be at the moment :)

Thanks greycloud too. It's quite reassuring to know that Sammy's screaming doesn't bother you! Do you have any pics of Sammy?

Ginkai, thanks for letting me know about Suki. My Maxi Pionus (Zippy) makes a high pitched screech when I leave the room too and it doesn't bother me at all.

I live with my partner and I work from home. We don't have any kids and we're both prepared for noise and mess!I just want to be sure that the good qualities of a keeping a Too out weigh the bad.

Can I ask you guys, do you believe an avian behaviourist could help me out if I did get an excessive screamer?

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Kitty, check out my pics on my profile page!!:)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I've never used a behaviorist, so I can't speak from personal experience. However, I think it never hurts to give it a shot if it's really that bad.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Have you been around them before to hear their scream in person? I would strongly suggest visiting a rescue (and whoever else is expected to live with the Too as well). I can listen to my M2 scream non stop all day and it doesn't faze me, five seconds of a conure's scream and I'm done (M2 = very loud, conure = high pitched frequency that is not of this earth). Are you planning on getting a re-home or a baby? If you get a re-home expect more screaming for the first few months to a year. It can take the larger Toos a little longer to adjust to a new routine and a new environment. Once they adjust though (assuming, all the bird's needs are met) they can be relatively quiet.

Rome was 16 when we got her, she came from a very very spoiled background (almost would have rather'd gotten a neglected one). The first six months, she screamed ALL the time. It was hard for her to transition from human attachment to an independent bird. It took six months before she even touched a toy, eight before really was playing with them. Now she almost never screams, I set her up with a routine and stuck to it from day one. It took about ten months for her to really settle into that. Now the only time she screams are: when the dogs are barking like crazy (she usually barks with them though) or if I'm late bringing her inside for the day (shes outside from 8-4:30/5, if I'm late she'll start screaming around 7). She doesn't do any sounding off in the am (she will occasionally bark in the a.m.), and during the day shes relatively quiet. Sometimes she chatters/whistles to herself outside but rarely ever screams. If you were to get a re-home, give the bird ONE FULL YEAR before deciding whether the bird is going to work or not (that may end up being one entire year of screaming). If you really want to do right by the bird you'll give them two years. Large Toos are very sensitive birds and some take a while to transition.

As long as the Too is happy the screaming is usually at minimal, if ever. To keep a Too happy: structured environment (Toos thrive off of routine), DONT over spoil (misnomer that they NEED more attention - they dont but they do try to demand more and will take as much as you give them, they will manipulate and do it without you noticing sometimes), encourage independence (foraging toys, shredding toys - keep them busy all day) and a firm owner (large Toos have to have boundaries, they REQUIRE the owner to set limits on their behavior or they can be dangerous - they will get away with as much as you will allow them to. They will throw temper-tantrums in the form of screaming/biting YOU CANT let them get what they want by those means. If the bird is screaming its head off for attention, dont acknowledge it in any way, just put ear plugs in your ears and go about your business. Once a Too learns that screaming gets it what it wants then it will try that trick all the time).

As if this wasn't long enough: Breeding season can bring about behavior that isn't the bird's typical norm. Breeding season in the US is from Nov-March. Rome will try to breed with me during those months, but doesn't start to get real desperate until March. By desperate I mean she is screaming - her needs aren't being met - and I cant hardly touch her without eliciting an unwanted reaction. She really didn't get horrible until mid March, during that time she did scream all the time and wasn't happy with anything.

If you can suffer through them at their worst they can be the best thing that ever happened to you.

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Wow, thanks molcan2.

You've given lots of great advice! Rome sounds like she's a much happier bird now she's with you :)

I think I'd prefer to have a baby rather than a re-home but I'm unsure. I love the idea of having an older too who needs a good home but I wouldn't want one with any severe behaviour problems...Also, I can't seem to find any rescue places in the UK! If anyone knows of any, please let me know!

I live with my partner. The both of us have been to zoos, pet stores and sanctuaries together where we've seen, heard and held a few too's. From what I've heard, too's can be noisy but it's not too bad....I also agree with you that a conure's scream sounds much worse! :18:

Truth is, I don't know anyone who owns a cockatoo so I have no idea what the noises I've heard in zoos and pets stores will sound like in a home environment! Another problem is, I imagine the only people I'll meet who actually own cockatoos will be breeders/sellers who (in my opinion) are probably going to tell me what I want to hear and not give me the full picture :02:

I've done lots of research into them but every book or website I come across seems to be completely biased one way or the other. I've read stories of too's being loveable and friendly up until they hit sexual maturity, then they become shrieking, biting, feather plucking, aggressive demons. On the other hand, I've read that with the correct care, diet and entertainment they can be excellent companions for life.

Perhaps the people who tell horror stories of their cockatoos being vicious, biting and extreme screamers have failed to mention the fact that they've been bad owners and have neglected their bird and that's why the too is behaving like that....Or maybe the people who say their cockatoos are lovely and friendly have failed to mention that their bird is only young and hasn't become sexually mature yet.

It's difficult to know what to expect when everything I read is the complete opposite to the last thing I read :confused: ...That's why I'm asking people on here. I really want real people who are excellent cockatoo owners to give me the full story of what life is like with one :D

Can I ask, you said Rome isn't herself from Nov-March and doesn't get horrible until mid March...What did you mean by "horrible"?

Oh one more question, would you agree that females are friendlier in general and less grouchy around breeding season than males?

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Horrible as in nothing makes her happy and she screams constantly (more than likely because of her frustration about my refusal to breed with her). Rome has never bitten, nor has ever offered to bite. I would stay away from male M2s, but I'm not convinced that the gender in other larger Toos matters as much. Consider their age to when you get one, they can live on average 80 years, if they outlive you where will they go?

Rome spent 2yrs in her first home. An elderly gentleman bought her, 6 months after her purchase the man passed, the wife didn't want the bird in the first place and Rome had no positive interaction with people again until she was 2, the woman finally got tired of her and took her to a consignment shop (will spare you the details of the horrid condition her cage was in). Her second home kind of went the other direction with her and made up for her first 2yrs by over spoiling her. They had her for 14yrs and their health started to turn so they re-homed her to me.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Rome is sexually mature, and is a very loving friendly bird. She will go to any stranger that comes over and truly enjoys interacting with people. Other than how loud she can be and the fact that she shreds her feathers (the home before me she bonded to a conure that died and then she started shredding) she completely contradicts all the negative comments people have about them. That said they still are a challenging bird to have. They require a very stimulating environment (constantly problem solving) and cant be lavished with to much attention.

IMPO I think a large Too needs to be cageless as possible. The only time Rome is caged is at night while she is sleeping.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I would like to add that some owners no matter how great they are or what experience they have will not be the right home for every bird. I have been a foster for many birds, have a great environment and offer much stimulation for my birds, but a moluccan that I had for the better part of a year did not do well in our home. We did many things, including behavior modification, positive reinforcement, ect ect. She unequivocally hated me. She was a vicious biter and while she was good for others she honestly did not care for me. I worked extensively with her and we made the decision that she would be happier in a different situation. She is happier now, though she has bitten in her new home as well. Be prepared to accept that no matter how much you love someone you are not always the best for them no matter the intention. Cockatoos are especially sensitive and require a certain type of person. My U2 was the best bird, she was sweet, tolerant, independent, and funny. She could be loud, but it never took away from her other great qualities. Check out the website All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com it should be mandatory for all perspective too owners. Look into rescues as they are often honest about both the positive and negative traits of each bird.

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Thanks for letting me know Molcan2!

I'm glad to hear Rome has never bitten. She sounds like a really lovely bird! :D

I also agree with you about large too's being as cageless as possible...I have a large outdoor fight built in my garden. It's filled with natural branch perches and beautiful non toxic plants and trees. I plan to put loads of climbing ropes and foraging toys in there, so when the weather is nice I can let my Too go crazy outside and soak up some sunshine! I'd really like to buy one of those Java tree stands for inside the house and maybe even one of those aviator parrot harnesses' so I can take my Too for walks!

Thanks RescueMe,

I'm sorry to hear your Moluccan wasn't too fond of you! I'm pleased to hear she's happier now though :)

I came across the "MyToos" website a few days ago. It's a really good site that will hopefully discourage people from buying such sensitive birds without thinking about it properly first. It's such a shame to hear stories of any neglected animal.

I like all cockatoos but I think I really have my heart set on a female Umbrella, so I'm glad to hear your favourite bird was an Umbrella as well!

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
My husband and I live with a male umbrella 'too. If talking about loudness of voice, it can be skull splitting when sitting in the same room. They always have a reason for their actions and the way they relate, verbally, or physically.

We now, also, have a female goffin 'too. Compared to Mi Amigo, her noise level is more like a hamster!

TortoiseLady17

Mar 25, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
April - 32 year old Panama Amazon!
Zuri - 3 year old Congo African grey
George - 4 year old Panama Amazon
We have an umbrella. He doesn't do the morning or evening screams but will scream if he can hear us but not see us. It is pretty loud but they seem to be getting shorter (we have only had him about a month, he is 6 years old).

Most Reactions