ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Meyer's Parrot (Brooklyn),
Double Yellow Headed Amazon (Ziggy),
Blue and Gold Macaw (Max)
Things have been great with my meyers, Tukki.

But she has a bad habit of screaming whenever I leave the apartment. Even if it's just for short spurts... like when I am throwing clothes in the laundry. She just sits in the apartment yelling at the top of her lungs until I come back.

It's not as bad when she knows I'll be gone for a while. I put her in her cage, put the radio on, grab my purse. She's learned that this is a sign that I'll be gone for a while so she doesn't freak out. It's just when I step out for a moment that she gets really anxious and does her loud calling.

Any tips on how I get her to stop this?

Thanks!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Things have been great with my meyers, Tukki.

But she has a bad habit of screaming whenever I leave the apartment. Even if it's just for short spurts... like when I am throwing clothes in the laundry. She just sits in the apartment yelling at the top of her lungs until I come back.

It's not as bad when she knows I'll be gone for a while. I put her in her cage, put the radio on, grab my purse. She's learned that this is a sign that I'll be gone for a while so she doesn't freak out. It's just when I step out for a moment that she gets really anxious and does her loud calling.

Any tips on how I get her to stop this?

Thanks!

Does she do it when you leave the room to? Or is it just when you completely leave the apartment?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Just like children, we have to establish boundaries for our feathered friends. Even though we might do a lot of reading on a particular species, we often don't consider the schooling/teaching we are going to need to do with our new charge(s) and when they start acting out & challenging/testing their boundaries we start looking for corrective solutions, when we should have been setting those boundaries right from the beginning.....

There are no quick solutions...it's an ongoing process for both you and your flock, but I might start reading about & becoming knowledgeable in clicker training for birds and/or parrots...there are several worthwhile training videos on youtube also.....

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
my nut does same thing when i leave her and she is in her cage, when i go to leave (usually in my work uniform) she says a sad little bye bye, and is quiet after. if she is out of her cage an i nip outside for a cig, or out of the room she is fine with that.

i won't suggest leaving radio on etc if your off out for short periods, as this can confuse tukki

sometimes when i am going out of the room and the nut is caged i speak to her from other rooms an let her know i wont be long, and it sometimes works??
but nut does not tend to scream long, as i think she has learned it does not make a difference

OP
ziggybird

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Mayden, it's just when I leave the apartment. She's fine when I go into other rooms (although if I want to take a nap in my bed... all bets are off!)

When she does scream I don't run back, or make a fuss about her yelling (the attention would only encourage her I'm sure!). I just say "I'll be right back" leave to grab my mail... or laundry etc and return when I'm done.

OP
ziggybird

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Just like children, we have to establish boundaries for our feathered friends. Even though we might do a lot of reading on a particular species, we often don't consider the schooling/teaching we are going to need to do with our new charge(s) and when they start acting out & challenging/testing their boundaries we start looking for corrective solutions, when we should have been setting those boundaries right from the beginning.....

There are no quick solutions...it's an ongoing process for both you and your flock, but I might start reading about & becoming knowledgeable in clicker training for birds and/or parrots...there are several worthwhile training videos on youtube also.....

Started clicker training with her last night. She's starting to get the hang of follow the stick already.

Most Reactions