Change in eye color.

Navygal

May 15, 2023
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hello family:

My baby girl "Sailor" is now 11 months old, and her eyes have change to a light yellow. At what
age do they become a brighter yellow and what is the significance of this change?

Also, I been traveling to visit my mother who's in a nursing home. I have to leave Sailor alone for
hours. I been leaving the radio on to keep her company. Lately she started screaming more,
when I return home. (she wasn't scream excessively before) Was the radio a bad idea? Any
suggestions on how I can occupy her when I'm not home? I thank you in advance for your help.

Navygal

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The screaming could be due to leaving her alone.
But there is no way to know.
At her age they are usually just starting out learning how to talk .
I would imagine lots of noises to follow.

OP
N

Navygal

May 15, 2023
Parrots
Congo African Grey
The screaming could be due to leaving her alone.
But there is no way to know.
At her age they are usually just starting out learning how to talk .
I would imagine lots of noises to follow.
Thanks, I am trying to be a good bird mom.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
My Patagonian's beak changed color at about six months... the eyes went from dark gray to very light gray between 9-12 months I presume the purpose is to signal dependency/youth (and maturation) to others.

About noise, etc. Oh, goody; a reason to tell the Rickeybird story again.
I got him in 1984. I was fearing getting evicted due to his noise, and my family at the time HATED him. I recall struggling to make a decision, sitting on the floor of my townhouse, watching him race and skip and frolic around on the tile floor, and then run to me GRINNING, so proud to be showing off for me. I would just stare at him and be amazed: imagine --- a real parrot in my house, and it loved me! I felt so guilty and inadequate and afraid at one point that I had him in his travel cage and was planning to take him back to the bird store. I opened the front door and couldn't go through. Closed it. Sat down. Took my little love out and promised him we would stay together.
I didn't really believe it, but I wanted to. Eventually, I did. I was in college back then, and at least I could spend a lot of time with him.
Then there were were years (about 25 of them) when 5-6 days a week, I was gone at 7:30-ish and back at 6-ish.
Some did and will consider me wrong and think I should have re-homed him. My husband at that time detested the bird. My current ol' man tolerates him with good humor. No, the bird wasn't responsible for the first marriage's ending!
Anyway, here is what I think made it work.
I moved and got new jobs maybe 5 times or so. BUT...
Every morning, he had at least ten minutes, and every evening, he had 20 or so. I have always kept him on a natural light schedule, in a separate room, so sometimes those times together were in the dark. During the day, he had a big window looking out on something interesting, a television on one of his favorite channels (music channels, shopping channels), a biggg cage, lots of fun foods, and a few toys that I changed out regularly).
He KNEW he could count on those two crummy sessions a day. Somehow we both made it.
I'm now retired and times are good again. Side-note... when I first started being able to spend much more time, he was strangely aggressive and jumpy. Eventually we settled down.
He's now almost 40.
Good luck to you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts