Screeching

transatlantic

Feb 12, 2017
I have a male (we think) cockatiel that has started to do a lot of screeching. It's like a "Rah" sound and is extremely loud and a super high pitched, easily travels through many walls. If you're in the same room, it'll make your ears ring. It's gotten to the point now where he'll do this repeatedly, every second or so, for up to an hour several times a day, although will stop in the evening. It's so loud, you have to leave the room or you'll get a thumping headache. He'll still do it after you have left the room until the "session" is over.

I was wondering if anyone could possibly advise as to perhaps why he is doing it or if there is anything I can do to stop him from doing it? He makes some beautiful sounds, but this one is just unbearable, and I am now worried I am going to get noise complaints from neighbours.

We've had him for about 5 months now, we think he is young, about a year or so old, but not sure as he came from a pet store. He is not tame yet, but I am making slow progress. He'll take millet from my hand, but if I come up to him without the millet, he'll scurry away, so he is still very unsure of me. The screeching started about a month ago and has slowly been getting worse. He is in the same room as my African Grey, who is very tame.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yipes.
As a Patagonian Conure "spouse", I can sympathize.
Hopefully, some cockatiel folks will come along and comment.
Meanwhile... The Rb's screeching is related to the yearly ebb and flow of hormones. Ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little screaming meemie from July to September). He has his own room, so I can do that easily.
He's loud all the time, though, truly. But light management has helped.
You might also use the SEARCH tab above to look for previous relevant thread.
Good luck!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
He needs something. You, as the human, need to figure out what. Food, water, companionship, stimulation, something. And make sure it's not a medical issue. Are the perches all the same size in his cage? He could have sore feet. Start thinking likethat, you will figure it out. Hope your grey doesn't pick up the sound.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
My male Quaker started doing this about 3 months ago, though he only goes on for a minute or two. But it was exactly as you described, the loudest, most shrill little "scream" once every second for a minute or two. When he does it he is usually on his play stand, and it was hilarious at first because he repeatedly walks back and forth and with every scream he stops, throws his head up very quickly, and goes the other direction. I tried to get a video of him doing it a few times but he stops as soon as he sees my phone go up.

It took me almost a month to figure it out, but he was only doing it when my green cheek was on the play stand with him and then would suddenly jump off and go to his cage. I've watched it happen now at least 10 times, and that's exactly what it is. They'll be on the play stand doing their thing and then Bowie just has had enough and leaves. Lita immediately goes into the pacing-head throw-scream, pacing-head throw-scream until I either go and pick him up and calm him down or a minute or two goes by and he apparently gets over his fit. You're correct, those short screams are so loud your ear drums vibrate!

So your cockatiel is doing this because something is wrong, he wants something or he's in some kind of distress. For him to do that for such a long time is worrisome, he could be in pain or something. I'd think about a well-birdy checkup with your avian vet ASAP. I'd also watch him closely when he starts his rant to see what might have happened to trigger it, and what happens to make him stop.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I agree with everyone that something is maybe up healthwise. Please get him a checkup ASAP! The poor little guy.

Most Reactions