screws for bird stand HELP!!!

cindybrown

Jun 23, 2013
okay im wanting to make a bird stand for my bird, i have everything i need so far besides screws. I wanted stainless steel and thought oh i can just pick up a bunch from home depot...WRONG, they only had a small bin and $1 for tiny ones and up, no sizes that I needed. I didnt realize that they are so hard to come by, now im at a loss, does anyone know where i can find these in bulk, or if i can use just steel screws or another type of screw???? what type of screws do you all use for your stands???

thanks guys, i am really bummed out that i couldnt grab the screws as i really want to get this stand started, thanks :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I get mine from Lowe's too!!!! They have more options then what homedepot have. ;)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
What type of screws do you all use for your stands???

Thanks guys, i am really bummed out that i couldn't grab the screws as i really want to get this stand started, thanks :)

Like Our Super Moderator Wendy mentioned, Lowes will have what you're looking for.....HD used to carry them, but they are a specialty item that was not in large demand, so they quit carrying them.....you can also find a pretty good selection of specialty screws at your local Ace Hardware & if it's one of the larger Ace's, you'll find a better selection than at Lowes.....

Whenever using SS wood screws, always pilot-drill (pre-drill) your holes, using a drill bit slightly smaller in diameter than the screw you are using...and...for perches, tree stands & the like, you are better off using coarse threaded rather than fine threaded screws.....fine threaded wood screws are primarily used in pressed-wood cabinetry, though you will find both used in you-build/you-assemble kits.....one other thing, if you're using a power drill to seat your screws, be sure you are using the proper sized screw-driver bit for the screws you are setting.....a #1 bit will often wallow out the screw head of a #2 headed screw.....

OP
C

cindybrown

Jun 23, 2013
thanks for the replies and tips guys, very much appreciated. sadly i dont have a lowes here where i live :( i have home depot, rona, homehardware, peavy mart, and i imagine a few small stores that i will have to look up in my yellow pages. i am going to try home hardware tomorrow. maybe i can find something there, rona is smaller then the home depot here so i doubt they will have anything much different then home depot.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
I looked around the websites of the ve3ndors you mentioned & didn't see much help online.....check the Ace Canada site & see if there's a store near you Accueil then call them & see if they will send you what you need...in the store, you can buy one screw, a box of 50 or 100 or more, if you want.....if you can't find what you're looking for locally, make a list of what you want & call your nearest Ace store.....

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
The premade stands I see on display at the bird pet store appear to be coated deck screws.

I have a local store called Elliot's that has all kinds of screws, and I always find things there.

For screws I also like McFeely's Square Drive Screws - Screws, Fasteners, Festool Power Tools and more. They have high-quality screws with a choice of several finishes including plain uncoated. I see they have hundreds of kinds of stainless steel screws, too.

—John

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
2 Black Headed Caiques - Bunsen & Beaker
Ok, so I'm late to the party on this one. I couldn't help but post, though. I'm an engineer, so I'm on this site all day long.

www.mcmastercarr.com/

I always need strange finishes, sizes, or materials. If it exists, it's on this website. They also cater to the last minute designer. You can have it at your door step in under 24 hours.

OP
C

cindybrown

Jun 23, 2013
Sorry havent been on here, had no laptop for a little bit. i want to thank you all for your comments and help. I was able to find a bunch of stainless steel screws at the hardware store here, 100 for 10 bucks which is not bad. so that is awesome. thanks again everyone :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Sorry havent been on here, had no laptop for a little bit. i want to thank you all for your comments and help. I was able to find a bunch of stainless steel screws at the hardware store here, 100 for 10 bucks which is not bad. so that is awesome. thanks again everyone :)

You're welcome & for future reference, the forums work on desktop computers too.....just checked to make sure...of course, that's down here in the U.S.

:))

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Oh Christ, another engineer?? one's enough

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
I have bought SS screws from lowes, home depot, and value homestore. maybe just your home depot doesn't carry many? they have them at mine. oh well. you will find them

Most Reactions