Second Bird Has Arrived!

sunblaze

Jul 10, 2014
Brecon Beacons National Park (Wales)
Parrots
Merlin - Sun Conure
Albus - Blue Crown Conure
I've been meaning to do an update for a while but i've been waiting for my camera back from my damn mother.... but anyway, the day has finally arrived! Well it arrived three weeks ago to be honest but as i said waiting for mother.

I finally got my second parrot, i'd settled on a blue crown conure but was having great trouble locating one that wasn't miles away and was about to settle on my second choice (a hahns macaw) when i managed to find a breeder a few hours away with a four month old parent raised blue crown.

The very next day i had me and the other half hurtling down the motorway to get said parrot. Turns out it was the hottest day in July we'd had for 9 years... the radio was advising people not to venture out until after 3pm as we set off at 11am... 4 hours in a black car on the motorway during a heat wave.... we were very hot :mad: Thankfully we had the good sense to leave the car rest for a few hours after we got there and to travel back in the evening for the sake of the bird (and my relationship lol)

He's been home in quarantine for the last 3 weeks and has been very shy over all. won't accept any treats yet but is letting me put my hand in the cage closer and closer to him, he likes being spoken to softly and will make little cooing noises back.

Today is the first day of him being in the living room with my sun conure Merlin (separate cages obviously). It went as to be expected merlin was not fussed on the new arrival but will hopefully warm up to him with time. Albus was entranced by Merlin and wouldn't take his eyes off him.

Anyway i just wanted to fill all you guys in on what's been going on and can hopefully remember how to upload photos and will upload some of the new arrival and some new ones of my sunny too :D

Attachments

• DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0131.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 197
OP
S

sunblaze

Jul 10, 2014
Brecon Beacons National Park (Wales)
Parrots
Merlin - Sun Conure
Albus - Blue Crown Conure
on a side note if anyone knows any little gems of wisdom for dealing with particularly shy birds please feel free to share, I'm just trying to get him used to the presence of my hand in the cage and the sound of my voice at the moment. Hopefully he will progress to accepting a treat from me soon. I've also been using my extremely tame sun conure as a guide of sorts, showing him that what i have in my hand is yummy by offering it to my sunny first and letting the blue crown watch.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Gorgeous! Congratulations :) Love your birds names!

Most Reactions