See-through poop?

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Kiwiberry just pooped and it was see-through water-like, just a few specs of actual poop in there.
I've read conures have looser droppings than a lot of parrots, but surely not like this, right?

I've had birds before but I've never seen droppings that looked like this.
She's been as active and cuddly as always, she's been eating and drinking normally.
All her other droppings today have looked normal.
She's been sneezing occasionally lately, but she's moulting feathers on her head, is that normal too? I think my cockatiel did the same thing, although I'm not 100% certain.

Don't know if she's been drinking a little bit less than she usually does, but sometimes it's like she loads up on water and doesn't drink very often, but drinks a lot when she does drink.
I was away for a couple hours earlier so maybe she loaded up on water than, obviously there's no way for me to tell.

She is a green-cheeked conure.

(Is there a section for illnesses? If there is, could an admin move this thread? I must have missed it if there is one.)

While I'm asking about droppings, is it normal for carrots to remain in/discolour the poop? She really loves carrot and when she's eaten a lot of it, her poop usually has orange mixed in with it.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
While I don't have any green cheeks, all of my guys look watered down if they've just taken a bath or shower and it's been so long since any have been sick that I guess I've missed seeing watery poop anytime recently.....

Because of their pretty much pass-through abilities, the carotene in the carrots generally stays with their poop, however when their presentations are held overnight and their system has more time to work on the carrot byproduct, discoloration is possible.....

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
So nothing to worry about then i take it, right? Her droppings are normal now.

Do they still get the nutrients and stuff from it then?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
So nothing to worry about then i take it, right? Her droppings are normal now.

Do they still get the nutrients and stuff from it then?

Well, I would have to say yes, they would still get their nutrients, because I have never seen any trying to sneak things out in any Ziploc bags.....

Glad to hear it was a false alarm..... :)))

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Me too, thank you for your help! :)

By the way, when should i start getting suspicious of her droppings and take her to the vet?
When I first saw carrot in her droppings i thought it was blood for a sec, but upon closer inspection i could see it was just some carrot.
What would blood in the poop look like, and could it be in the urine section as well?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Since you apparently keep a pretty good eye on Kiwiberry's droppings, be sure to take a look after any new foods or foods she may eat only occasionally, to familiarize yourself with what they look like...it might be a good idea to take a couple of pics in case you need to reflect back months or years from now.....

Blood can look like blood or a slight pinkish tint.....one of our members has recently posted pics of various poop images, but don't remember how the thread was titled, but maybe they or one of out famous moderators will know and post a link to the pics.....

I also have a few pics of different poops by different birds, but since you don't have enough posting credits, the forum owners require you have at least 20 (I think) to send & receive private messages, but if you message one of our Super Moderators & ask them to forward your E-mail address to me I'll send you copies of the poop pics I have.....

Good luck.....

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Thank you for the link, i will message a super moderator and ask if he can forward my email address now :)

Last edited:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
While I don't have any green cheeks, all of my guys look watered down if they've just taken a bath or shower and it's been so long since any have been sick that I guess I've missed seeing watery poop anytime recently.....

Because of their pretty much pass-through abilities, the carotene in the carrots generally stays with their poop, however when their presentations are held overnight and their system has more time to work on the carrot byproduct, discoloration is possible.....

Good to know...thank you! I just gave all mine their baths his morning and cleaned all cages and before I could get papers down under Peas stand she pooped on the floor and it was watery. I never noticed this after they've had a bath...I will watch now.;)

Most Reactions