Selling babies

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
I'm looking at buying a CAG or a TAG and was wondering if anyone was selling babies. I can't afford one (plus cage) at my local bird shop so I was seeing if anyone was selling them for maybe a more affordable price.

GreyG

Jul 26, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Cleo (Meyer's)
Bailey (Coral Billed Pionus)
Zoey (African Grey)
If you can't afford one at the local shop, how are you going to afford vet care, toys, cage, etc?? You do understand the cost of the bird is only the beginning.....

OP
bob1

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
I do but I'm saving by January I hope to have $1,500 I just wanted to see where my money is best spent. So I could give the bird a larger cage, more toys, higher end perches, and a bigger play stand.

GreyG

Jul 26, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Cleo (Meyer's)
Zoey (African Grey)
after buying the grey, what's leftover from $1500 isn't going to buy much after the first vet visit....and that is if there's nothing wrong - broken blood feathers, strange looking poop, odd behavior, etc. Then there's toys.....a full grown grey will devastate a $20 toy in a few days...heck, you have to be cognizant of how much you spend on your GCC toys, even if you're making them.....a grey, even a TAG, is 10 times the size. You HAVE to keep birds -- especially a grey -- stimulated.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
There is nothing wrong with looking for a better price. $1,500 is very expensive, not surprising since it's a pet store. I think $900-$1000 is reasonable for a CAG, and $700-$900 is reasonable for a TAG.
I know people who have had amazing experiences with mirror lake exotics, their prices for African greys are very low, if I didn't have a reliable source saying they were fantastic I would be suspicious lol

GreyG does make a good point though, make sure you are prepared. Saying that, I'm a college student and I don't make a lot of money. My tip is to always save money in case of vet emergencies.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Also why must it be a baby? Check out local rescues, SPCA, Humane Society, etc. You can often get a great bird from them. Without all the baby & teenage problems. And usually much cheaper.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Or adopt from someone that's not able to provide them a home! It's not an occasional thing here to see African Grey being posted here locally. But I'm sure there's more in CA then here....And no there's no rescue groups in my area, most have gone out of business as I've called them all....So that doesn't work always....But there should be some in CA but some members on here have issues with the rescue groups in CA being unrealistic....

GreyG

Jul 26, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Cleo (Meyer's)
Zoey (African Grey)
...make sure you are prepared... My tip is to always save money in case of vet emergencies.

This is exactly my point..thanks for capturing it succinctly. Birds are costly, all things considered (cages, toys, gyms, your time). Vets - particularly avian vets for some reason - are expensive, but necessary, even if just for annual exams.

OP
bob1

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
I have been looking at adoption but nothing os in my area :( So that is why I was looking for a baby.

OP
bob1

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
P.S.- I will look at other options though.

Thanks

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I think if you go direct to the breeder the price is generally better then getting one in a pet store. I think 13 years ago I paid 750 for Quincy from a local breeder. Like Copper, if you don't have a lot of funds, I would plan on having some savings in case you do need to take the bird to the vet for an emergency. So maybe saving for a few extra months before adopting would be a good way to go.

OP
bob1

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Thanks I'm looking for a breeder in my area but I might just get one from mirror lake exotics they sell them for 750 also.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I'm looking at buying a CAG or a TAG and was wondering if anyone was selling babies. I can't afford one (plus cage) at my local bird shop so I was seeing if anyone was selling them for maybe a more affordable price.

Have you tried CL or Kijiji?

OP
bob1

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots

Have you tried CL or Kijiji?

What do those stand for?

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
They are Craig's list and the Ebay classifieds. If you type Craig's list on the search engine, you can then go to your town's own. Same thing with Kijiji (eBay's).

OP
bob1

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Thank you.

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
Paco: Yellow Naped Amazon
I found my CAG on craigslist for my area. Have to be careful on there but you can find good birds that need a loving home. Just be careful for scams and make a home visit before committing to buying a bird from anyone. I know some people frown on it but it worked out for me very well. I ended up getting a 4 year old with cage and playstand for $750.

Most Reactions