Senegal parrot night terror?

jrl2512

Nov 26, 2012
Parrots
Knuckles: Sun conure with messed up foot

Sarge AKA turd burd: senegal parrot
Around late last night, my parents woke up to our senegal parrot Sarge flapping and banging around in his cage. They let him out for a few moments and he flew to his usual corner of the room on an uncovered window (by uncovered I mean the blinds were up.) He was very freaked out, looking around the room uneasily and being slow to step on my mom's hand. Luckily he didn't break any blood feathers and by the next day he seems to be fine. I was just wondering if it is possible to senegals to have night terrors too, since my cockatiel used to have them from time to time. Any help is appreciated to prevent further occurrences!

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
My senegal never has but one of my blue crowns experienced them from time to time. I think I figured out a seemingly good way to prevent them from having frights. I purchased some dim night lights and plugged them in near the cages. I cover the cages to prevent the light from bothering their sleep but I leave a corner of the cage uncovered so that some light will leak in and they can see if they look around. Ever since then I have not heard any of the birds fright once. And if they did, I think that having the light will give them something to orient on and recover rather then blindly hitting the bars and rebounding in fright from that impact until they hit the other side and repeat.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I leave night light on for my birds as they all can be frightened during night time and freak out. By having a night light does NOT mean they can't sleep because it's not darkness, that's a false assumption!!! Birds sleep during the day even when the lights are on. I quit covering my birds years ago, most of mine hated to be covered so I just start leaving them off.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Is there a chance that you could have a mouse in the house? A neighbor's galah/rose-breasted cockatoo is afraid of mice.....one got in their house & got in the 'too's cage one night.....the est they could figure out was that the mouse was after a free lunch & woke the bird, rummaging around in the bottom tray.....they don't think the bird really could see what was in the bottom tray, because a street light made the room look kind of eerie if the wind was blowing...light showed moving tree branches, so a mouse scampering around the bird's sanctuary spooked it.....they caught the mouse the next day when it got too close to a trap that had been set, the bird saw that & started screaming & now will scream at a toy mouse.....

If there's no chance of mice, do car or other vehicle lights flash through the bird's room at night? Is there anything new in the house with new/different sound that might start on its own...refrigerator, freezer, etc.? Just some thoughts.....

dragonlady2

Oct 3, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Eclectus-Willy, Alexandrine-Oliver, Two Barrabands -Joey and Peewee, Plumhead-Peanut, Senegal-Mookie, Australian King-Bella, Peachfront conure-Peachygirl, Crimson belly conure-Pepper, Parrotlette
My Sennie needs to have his cage covered completely or he may have a night fright. I have tried not covering half his cage and he still had one. I think he feels more secure if he is totally covered. Only two of my bird's cages are totally covered, the rest have a top cover so they can roost if they choose.

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
All birds, and most animals have night freights. I don't know if it is a bad dream, a sound outside they hear or a sound inside or just the lights outside flickering.........whatever it may be I believe all animals and yes birds have night freights. Some more than others.

Most Reactions

Latest posts