Senegal Parrot Red Poop HELP

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Has he been eating red peppers? That will do it.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Has he been eating ANYTHING red? The poop is often the color of what's been recently eaten, but it will revert to normal after that food is no longer available and has been all pooped out. Red pellets, cherries, raspberries, beets, you name it can result in temporarily red poop. If it is blood, it will probably oxidize and turn dark as it is exposed to the air. If he hasn't eaten anything red or otherwise seems unwell, you might want to see a vet.

The one that always gets me is yellow.... I start to think they have liver failure then I remember some of the pellets are yellow...

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Blueberries make for some beautifully colored poop! A very deep blue-ish purple.

The first time Kazi pooped red I about had a heart attack and then remembered he'd been eating beets. :D

OP
M

MilkChocolateMango

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Senegal Parrot
Well I recently have him honey and blueberry millet. I took both of those away and his poop is green again, I'm going to check it put overnight. Hopefully it remains the same. Does millet do this? Wouldn't blueberries make the poop blue?

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Blueberries usually make it pupleish. Millet is typically neutral, but this sounds like a treated millet. Could there be colorant in it?

If it has gone back to normal color, I would guess it was something he ate.

What is his basic food?

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
pepepr used to eat zupreem fruit blend and his poop was red. We rushed him to the vet only to have the vet ask what we were feeding him. Turns out red pellets = red poop. He just threw the other flavors away.

SweetPeasFriend

Jun 25, 2012
Media
Parrots
Parent's have, I baby sit a blue crown conure.
My husband and I adopted a rescue blue and gold macaw.
Our blue crown pooped out a whole black raspberry once. I don't give him so many now :)

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i would feed him the blueberry millet and see if its red again, if it is, its probably the millet.

OP
M

MilkChocolateMango

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Senegal Parrot
I have tried pulling out the millet, maybe I'll try pulling out the red pellets. I noticed his poop went back to green, but today it's brownish-red. I wiped it on a tissue and left it out in the open, if it's blood then the red portion should turn brown. He's acting normal otherwise.

Most Reactions