Senegal Parrot talking

koron3

Aug 8, 2011
Media
jefferson, OH USA
Parrots
Gizmo: Senegal Parrot
Hello...
I got my senegal parrot a week ago, yesterday he was 6 months old.

We have a gerbil in the same room, and since yesterday it sounds lke the parrot is trying to mimic the sound coming from the gerbil's wheel.

If they do learn to talk, how long does it typically take them?

Thanks

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I think it's all a matter of interest and repetition. I've heard them start to talk around six months, but then mine is nine years and she's shown no interest.

If you want her to talk, you're best to repeat sounds to her often, or better yet to leave a recorder with simple words or phrases on it.

Though my girl doesn't talk, she has taken to repeating sounds around the house, and some whistles that I've repeated to her.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Mine was 11 months old when I got her, She could already say her name "Tiki", "pretty Tiki" "Pretty Birdie" and The she has picked up from us "Okie Dokie", Whatcha Doin Tiki" She whistles the wolf whistle amoung a few others, she mimics the micro wave, the oven buzzer, and a few other sounds I'm not sure what they are, but you can bet she's heard them enough to remember what they sound like.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I might add as well that a Senegals speech isn't as clear as say an African Grey. But if you heard Tiki say "Okie Dokie" you would be no doubt what she said.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Not sure how old Max is (not mature yet, as his eyes are a really light gray still) but he says "Pretty bird" and whistles a lot. I think it just depends on the bird.

robinson468

Aug 29, 2011
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Parrots
Petey - Senegal
I got Petey at 1yr old and after about 3 months he was saying "Hi" and "Hey Buddy". He's about 2&1/2 now and he's added "You're a good boy", "You're Cute" and "I'm Petey"

It's funny, after teahcing him "i'm Petey", he almost screams it every morning. "I'M PETEY! I'M PETEY!"

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol nut has a choice word, she's not said since the cold reception it got, but she will mimic whistles, kisses and other words she'll kinda mumble and squeak, say's bye bye, clear enough, when some1 has left room

hello an welcome koron an robinson

ksmith5151

May 22, 2011
Lehigh Acres, FL
Parrots
1 Senegal Parrot (Cassie) and 4 Parkeets (Tia, Fidget, Tibbin, and Skyler)
My little girl Cassie is 9 months this month. She started talking about a month ago but her words are very rough sounding. She says "I love you" and "I love youuuuuuu!" It's funny when she exagerates the "you". I think she learned how to get my attention. lol. I also caught her trying to say something else but I can't make it out yet. I often say, I'm gonna get you and then give her kisses, so that might be it. She did put some kiss sounds after her attempt. She's so sweet.

---- Kimberley (South Florida)

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Koron,

I have also noticed Max has picked up on other sounds too. She has said "bye" and "Love you", but she also mimics our door, which squeaks. Also, I am still not sure if it was her or the cat, but I am almost positive, my bird "MEOWWWW"ed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts