Separation anxiety?

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Going up on the Luvox has helped TREMENDOUSLY! I figured it would because it did last time I increased it. I just hate the side effects. At the increased dosage, it kills my libido. lol. The essential oils have helped as well.

WOW, and I thought I had a lot of issues. lol. In all seriousness though, So sorry to hear of your struggles and its obvious your fids have helped you cope and deal with day to day life. As awful as it sounds, its comforting to know I'm not only not the only one with struggles but I'm also not the only one who sees the power of fids. I know many people here feel that. I feel that way with Skittles. I know I wouldn't be here if it weren't for Skittles. I was at an extremely low point when I got Skittles. I haven't been suicidal since I got him. In fact, I worry more about what would happen to him if I died than I do what I'd do without him. I guess because I honestly think him dying prematurely would kill me, I have HBP too and I've no doubt the loss would make my heart go boom!

My meds that I'm currently on do wonders for me. Ironically, my mood stabilizer, Lamictal, is the first drug since Lithium to be FDA approved to treat Bipolar Disorder. I also take Welbutrin, which is an amazing anti-depressant, for me anyways. For my OCD I take Luvox, which is actually an anti-depressant which is FDA approved for OCD. I say ironically because the Lamictal and Luvox work better than any other med I've taken for those conditions.

Its hard talking about the effects of having fids have on you with people who've never had birds just don't get it. They think of birds and all their mind goes too is "does it talk?" "does it do tricks?" or "they live a long time!" or "they're so loud and so messy".

Last edited:

RemiBird

Feb 26, 2019
I take small doses of Abilify and Paxil for my OCD, anxiety and depression (I am very medication sensitive). It does work very well. But also, cognitive behavioral therapy is important because the medication only goes that far. If I get "spikes" in my OCD (which happens every so often), I can tell that the medicine is not quite enough.
My two dogs and my bird help a lot. I know what you mean. When I went off the medication about two years ago (for a few months only, and it was pure hell), I was very sick. My dog was with me ALL THE TIME. He knew I needed him.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I too have bipolar disorder, severe social anxiety, OCD, and PTSD. I don't know what I would do without my birds. It took me years to find the right medication combo. At one point I was on so many different meds they made me psychotic to the point I had to be hospitalized to have them drastically changed. I even had one psychiatrist flat ot quit because she said she didn't know what to do with me. Talk about making someone who already feels hopeless even worse.

I'm finally on a combo that seems to work pretty well. Wellbutrin in the morning, effexor at night, and topomax twice a day as a mood stabilizer. Of course, they aren't perfect, but like a lot of you, my fids keep me going. I have to get up to feed and care for them. No matter how much I don't want to drag myself to work, I have to provide for them. If it was just me, I would not care.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm going to second the addition of CBD Oil to the Melatonin, because it works absolute wonders for anxiety caused by pretty much everything and anything, it also influences not only sleep, but restful REM sleep, which is very important, and it is 100% safe in-combination with pretty much any prescription medications, even MAO Inhibitors (which you can't take ANYTHING ELSE if you're on them)...

Half the battle is actually determining the cause of your anxiety, and you've already done that, it's Skittles not being with you/around you when he's asleep...And I wouldn't be thinking that this is an "irrational" anxiety, as it's completely understandable why this is happening to you when you put Skittles to bed...I am single, I live alone and have for about 6 years now, and though I love living alone and being single, my birds and my dog are my family, and since 2012, when I was diagnosed first with stage-3 Endometriosis, had a total, open-abdominal Hysterectomy and Bi-Lateral Salpingo Oopherectomy (they took EVERYTHING, I have no organs left, lol), and then was diagnosed with very early Vaginal Cancer (really Cervical Cancer, but since they took my Cervix they call it Vaginal Cancer, even though it's Cervical-cells that were left-behind that turned malignant; yes, I'm such a gifted, talented person that I can get Cancer of an organ that was removed 2-years prior to the diagnosis...Beat that!)...So at some point I decided to stop breeding and hand-raising parrots as I had been for just about 20-years, I re-homed most of my breeders to an Avian Refuge for captive-bred Parrots/Birds, and a few that were actually pretty hand-tame I re-homed at the Avian Rescue I work for...And that was when I made the decision to again add a parrot to my family and life, and I found Bowie as a little 13 week-old baby in Petco by pure chance...And since then I have scaled-back working and have been trying to actually enjoy life instead of working 70 hours a week to make a bunch of money I have no time to spend or enjoy anyway...

The part of my story that relates most to your story is that I'm an Opioid Addict, which started back around 2008-2009 when the Endometriosis and the Ovarian Cysts it started causing, along with my lovely chronic Kidney Stones that I've had since I was 19 in college, caused me to start receiving tons of legal prescriptions for narcotic opioid pain-killers...And you know the rest of the story, as my opioid addiction progressed the exact same way that everyone else's does; no one uses opioids to party with, though a lot of people just assume that when they see a heroin addict that "it's their fault" and "they did it to themselves", when this couldn't be further from the truth...And I also work in the Car Business, I have since 2003, and it's second to only Rock Stars and people who work in the Restaurant Business for it's rampant and totally-accepted, constant drug use and abuse (combination of working lots of hours every week, being with your colleagues all the time, making a ton of money quickly, and needing something to make this life tolerable)...So when I went through the 3 different major surgeries in 2012-2013, then the treatments, medications, etc., I wasn't dealing with my addiction at all, it was just my life. I finally decided that I didn't want to end-up dead or in prison, so I got myself into a Methadone program in 2016 that includes both one-on-one therapy and group-therapy, and things are finally good...As far as meds I take daily, I take the Methadone once daily, I take a daily Hormone-Replacement (Premarin) because I have no Ovaries and thus no Hormones at all (I went through surgical-menopause at the age of 32), and I also unfortunately have to take a prescription stimulant (Phentermine) to counteract the Methadone and the lack of Hormones, because without one I'm just a complete Zombie...That's it, I don't take any type of anxiety meds, no SSRI's or anti-psychotics, I've never suffered from OCD or Depression, however I do suffer from severe PTSD as a result of my childhood (that's another story)...I've managed to stay off of any psych or anti-anxiety drugs, but I was considering it, but most of them do not mix with Methadone, especially Benzos like Ativan, Xanex, Valium, Vistaril, etc.

***So my Methadone Counselor suggested CBD Oil, as it does not interact with any prescription drugs at all (there is a lot of information about CBD Oil online, and all of your questions can be answered, along with talking to your doctor about it as well)...I highly suggest that you look into it, because it has worked wonders for me in-regard to my PTSD symptoms and my inability to sleep...And PTSD symptoms are similar to Anxiety, or rather PTSD basically causes eventual anxiety if you let it...Now let me preface this with I HATE WEED!!! AND I ALWAYS HAVE!!! I have no idea why, I obviously have nothing against using Weed, I think it's much, much safer and much less harmful to your body than alcohol is by-far, and I could care less what other people do...I'm obviously not judgemental about people who use drugs, lol, as I've spend most of my adult life using them/abusing them myself. But for whatever reason I just have not EVER liked Marijuana. Period. Not in High-School, not in College, and not since. I just get tired, space-out, and fall asleep. I know many people who smoke all day long while they're at work for 12-hours a day, talking to people and dealing with the public, closing sales, etc. while they're high, and I can't even imagine how they do it...Just not my jam. So when the subject of me trying CBD Oil to control/subdue my PTSD symptoms, which tend to come-on when I'm alone and have time to think about things, or when I'm at home alone and a "Trigger" pops-up, which it does every single day since my "Triggers" are people in my family, namely both my parents. And then I get myself worked-up, and have to calm myself down...At first with the birds they were enough, and often they still are. But just like you, my birds are not always around, even less than Skittles is with you because I'm not home all day long with them. I play Guitar, alto Sax, and Drums, among other instruments, so they sometimes help, but again, I don't always have them with me...I have been a hard-core Mountain-Biker since the age of around 10, and it really helps tremendously to just jump on my Bike and go, but again, can't always do it. Exercise, by the way, even if you don't enjoy exercise, does work wonders to stop Anxiety, Panic Attacks, PTSD Attacks/Episodes, even Depressive Episodes...As far as Exercise goes, the key is finding WHAT ACTIVITY YOU LIKE TO DO, and then doing it whenever you feel the Anxiety first coming-on. And there are THOUSANDS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES that you can try if you don't know what type of Exercise you like to do. For some people it's just going for a 15-20 minute walk around their neighborhood, or going for a Hike in the woods or on a foot-trail that is beside a stream or river that is audibly relaxing. Jogging, Running, Biking/Cycling, Skateboarding, the list is endless...I actually use my Nintendo Wii in the winter and I can't Mountain Bike, and I spend an hour doing Wii Fitness on the Balance-Board. And Video Games, while not really "exercise", are honestly a very good outlet for stress and anxiety,, especially games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Need For Speed, etc. But still you can't always do whatever activity/exercise it is that works for you when you are feeling anxiety, BUT YOU CAN PULL OUT YOUR BOTTLE OF CBD OIL AT PRETTY MUCH ANY TIME. And since yours is coming at nighttime, after you put Skittles to bed and before you yourself go to sleep, then it's the perfect time to try using CBD Oil, and if it works for you then you have found an Anti-Anxiety aide that you can literally use AT ANY TIME BOTH SAFELY AND LEGALLY...

I would talk to your doctor about you at the very least trying CBD Oil, As well as you doing your own online-research about it, because there is still a good percentage of doctors, therapists, counselors, etc. who know nothing about CBD Oil at all, and many of them like myself related it to Weed, and immediately dismiss it as either a safe or a valid, effective remedy...So you have to advocate for yourself sometimes, and bring your own research with you to your doctor's/therapist's office. Seriously, it's nothing at all like using Weed, if it was I wouldn't use it, even if it did help me (as I'm sure using Weed would help me, that I know, but I just can't stand using it, lol)...CBD Oil doesn't cause any type of "high", nor any type of hallucinations or "spacing out" like Psychedelics and Weed do. If I had to describe the way that CBD Oil works to eliminate Anxiety/PTSD Episodes, I'd say that it works very much the same way that Benzo's like Valium, Ativan, and Xanex work to stop the Anxiety, but with absolutely NO drowsiness, no confusion, no fatigue, or any of the other side-effects that Benzo's produce...If anyone has ever tried using Kratom for their Anxiety, CBD Oil works in a very similar way (Kratom is getting a bad-rep right now, I don't know why because it's not a drug/plant that produces any type of "high" or euphoria at all, it's very similar to CBD Oil, but what people don't know about they fear I guess, just like anything else...)...

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I do plan on consulting with both my psych and PCP about the CBD oil. But first I have to do some more research on the legality in Federal public housing. I don't want to jeopardize my subsidy.

In the meantime, the increase in Luvox as well as the lavender oil is helping a lot. I think a lot of the 'phantom' feeling I was getting was as a result of my OCD which is typical. I often have 'physical reactions' with obsessive or intrusive thoughts. I just didn't want to have to go back up on the medication again, but it is what it is.

EDIT: Just heard back from housing and the CBD oil is a no-go.

Last edited:

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
A shame about the CBD oil but you should do well withe lavender and chamomile. You can get both as essential oils and a few drops in one of those ultrasonic vapourizers (Vapourizer example) while you sleep (or attempt it) should be quite efficacious in assisting relaxation and somnolence. If you can't use the vapourizer for health safety of your birds a couple of drops on something absorbent on your bedside will work as too such as these diffuser.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Since your issue is nighttime, I’m not sure if this might help in your case, but Ive been hearing a lot lately about weighted blankets. I’ve actually been considering trying one myself, as nighttime is when my anxiety is typically highest, especially with not being able to turn my stupid brain off from going over every thing that’s out of place/order/tasks not completed, which over time I’ve learned to manage but has been much worse lately since I haven’t been well (physically) for a few months and therefore unable to do much of anything (going over a mental checklist of everything I did in a day and what I did to put things in order helps calm my anxiety and be able to get to sleep, but not when I barely managed to get out out of bed much less do anything useful). I’m curious if the weight of one of those blankets could help at times like this. I’ve heard they can help a lot with anxiety because they apply pressure to the body in a way that calms the nervous system. I would definitely look into them if I were you.

My anxiety is fortunately not serious enough that I cant function or need medication. Art helps me a lot, being creative in general really. I went years without drawing or painting and felt very out of control of my life in a lot of ways. I didn’t realize how much art used to help me until I randomly picked it back up last year and suddenly felt so much more calm and in control for the first time in so long. I’ve felt so terrible lately I haven’t been doing my art again and now all my anxiety about organizing has come back. Art has a obvious positive if not medicinal effect on me. In fact, a lot of people benefit from art therapy. If you haven’t ever taken much of an interest before, art is something that anyone can try, there are many mediums to see what you like and you can get started on the cheap. Books from the library can get your started with basic techniques, or the internet is full of information and tutorials for free. I use cheap Crayola colored pencils, often on plain white copy paper and get beautiful results. You don’t *have* to buy $100 pencil sets and fancy paper (or whatever medium you choose) to create nice art. Art gives you something you can see yourself improve at over time and it focuses the bad energy into something good, that you can be proud of, that you can sell or give as gifts or just keep to admire. You could even try drawing Skittles or other types of parrots at night (hey, Kiwi is my favorite subject and I draw him all the time, no shame in that:p) in different styles, mediums, contexts or just keep trying to improve until you could draw photorealistic or something. Just a thought:)

Last edited:
OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
The issue is mainly after I put Skittles to bed and go about my evening routine. When I go to bed at night, I'm fine because Skittles sleep cage is right next to my bed, I can literally reach out and touch it without much effort. What I normally do when I go to bed is 'knock' on the side of the bureau (which his sleep cage sits on) and he will usually 'knock' back on the side of the cage. Sometimes he does it first and then I knock back. We have such an awesome communication system. Sometimes I swear we are two halves of the same soul.

But on the topic of weighted blankets, I cannot sleep without heavy blankets due to childhood trauma. I sleep with a heavy comforter and a body pillow. I also sleep with a fan on to keep cool and provide some sort of 'steady noise' to break up the 'silence'.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
It's been over almost two weeks since I went back up on my OCD medication as well as almost three weeks since I started the lavender oils and things are MUCH MUCH better. I knew the med increase would more than likely help (as it has before), I just didn't want to have to go that route. But the heart palpitations and shoulder pain have subsided significantly.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
It's been over almost two weeks since I went back up on my OCD medication as well as almost three weeks since I started the lavender oils and things are MUCH MUCH better. I knew the med increase would more than likely help (as it has before), I just didn't want to have to go that route. But the heart palpitations and shoulder pain have subsided significantly.

I’m so glad you’re feeling better! No shame in meds, as you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts