Settling in my new cockateil

TikiTorch

Sep 2, 2013
Hello everyone.
I have been wanting to get a bird for several years now and finally at the time in my life where I have the time and money.
I just recently (2 days ago in fact) bought myself a cockateil ... Tiki.

Right from the moment I brought her home she has been whistling and quite comfortable (or so it seems). I want to make her transition the smoothest and less scary as possible. I'm finding she actually prefers to be out of her cage. She will sit with me for a few moments or on her playground but after a few minutes she flies back to her cage (just sits on top). I guess I'm just curious if this is just her settling in and getting used to her surroundings? I would love for her to be comfortable enough to hang out with the family for the majority of the day... How's the best way to accomplish this without overwhelming her.
I also haven't found a treat she will eat. Have tried various fruit and vegetables, cereals and store bought treats. Will her personality/likes/dislikes come out with time?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Welcome to the forum!
Have you tried millet spray as a great? That's like crack for little birds LOL

If she's able to fly and stays with you a little bit before flying back it sounds like your doing well. As tiki bonds with you she'll want to be with you more :) it takes time to build our friendship with birds.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thing might change a bit but she should pretty much be the same. Welcome to the forum and congrats with your new baby! :)

OP
T

TikiTorch

Sep 2, 2013
Welcome to the forum!
Have you tried millet spray as a great? That's like crack for little birds LOL

If she's able to fly and stays with you a little bit before flying back it sounds like your doing well. As tiki bonds with you she'll want to be with you more :) it takes time to build our friendship with birds.

Yes she does like spray millet!!
Another concern of mine is I do have a cattle bone and iodine block but she refuses to touch them

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They're not gonna use them unless they need to. They don't just chew it out of boredom!

Most Reactions

Latest posts