Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
That didnā€™t come out right. Anyway...

God forbid Archie has a minor injury/cut, say on his foot, and Iā€™m able to swab a drop of blood onto a Q-Tip. Can I bring this to the vet for sex testing, and save him a painful visit?

I couldnā€™t bring myself to hurt him even more during his recent full work-up and didnā€™t request the test because s/he is so young.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Unfortunately I don't believe it would work but not because the blood was old. I use to work in a bird shop that would offer DNA sexing. We would cut the toe nail a touch too short and get a drop of blood and it would go in a circle on this special little card thing where we would put the bird's info and our info down. The card would then be put into a small ziplock bag and shipped off. You have to be very careful not to contaminate the sample by touching it or other foreign substances and I believe the cotton on a qtip and other possible contamination could alter the results. After the blood is taken the sample is shipped off to a lab that will test it and respond with the results.

OP
Ira7

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Unfortunately I don't believe it would work but not because the blood was old. I use to work in a bird shop that would offer DNA sexing. We would cut the toe nail a touch too short and get a drop of blood and it would go in a circle on this special little card thing where we would put the bird's info and our info down. The card would then be put into a small ziplock bag and shipped off. You have to be very careful not to contaminate the sample by touching it or other foreign substances and I believe the cotton on a qtip and other possible contamination could alter the results. After the blood is taken the sample is shipped off to a lab that will test it and respond with the results.

Thanks.

I thought I figured out a way to beat the system.

Most Reactions