Shades is home

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Texas, by way of New Jersey
Parrots
Shades: African Grey Congo Male, hatched June 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

So, yesterday we bought our baby home. He's a male, and his name is Shades. He did well his first day, excpet he refused to go back into his cage without a fight. It's a small cage from the breeder, and he said to keep him in it for the first two weeks, then slowly start introducing him to the big cage. I don't think that is going to go over very well. It was a struggle to get him into his age last night, and I actually had to pick him up and force him in with the help of my sons. I'm not looking forward to doing that again because I'm affraid he won't trust us if we keep forcing him. :-( I don't want to damage our relationship before it starts.

After we put him in the cage, he just kept circling it as if he were trying to find a way out. It was kind of sad to watch, and I was getting a little anxious. I know it's going to take some time for everyone to adjust, but I just don't want to harm him in any way.

On a good note, once he finally calmed down, he was fine. My husband and I had to step out for a bit, but the children took him upstairs with them so he wouldn't be alone. He lets everyone give him head scratches through the bars of his cage, so I think that is a good sign. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I fed him dinner last night, and he ate his breakfast even better this morning. Now, he's sitting on top of his cage, playing with a soft ball with a bell inside.

I noticed yesterday he was pulling at feathers, but I'm not usre if he is just preening or trying to pull them out. He's actually doing it now. I just took a short video to show you all, but I'm not usre how to post it. I've never posted images or clips, so I may need some assistance with that too.

Well, he must be content, (at least I hope he is), becausse he is falling asleep. :)

Sorry for the long message, and thanks for reading.

Erica

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome, Shades, to your new home. Some folks subscribe to the whole 'let him acclimate to the new home before going into his new cage" BUT unless that cage has been where the breeder kept him, the small cage is new to him too, so he might as well go into his nice new BIG cage. An then let him stay in that one for a few days.

Your right, repeatedly chasing him to get him back into either cage is only teaching him bad things. TO come out, he should be taught to step up to your hand, either from within the cage or at the door. Figure out his favorite treat and ONLY use that for training. First training is t step up.
Hope this helps, and its all in my opinion,. There many of those and some successful, and some leess so,

Good luck, Shades, in your new home

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Aw, congratulations! Shades was probably preening his feathers, don't worry right now.

With my greys, I have found each to be different in transitioning to their larger cages. Your Shades is likely wondering what's going on and if he's really young it may be best to stay in the smaller cage for a bit.

A routine works well. Bedtime is bedtime, out time is out time. Once he gets the routine he should be ok. The African grey forum has a ton of threads to help.

We needs pics!

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Welcome, Shades, to your new home. Some folks subscribe to the whole 'let him acclimate to the new home before going into his new cage" BUT unless that cage has been where the breeder kept him, the small cage is new to him too, so he might as well go into his nice new BIG cage. An then let him stay in that one for a few days.

Your right, repeatedly chasing him to get him back into either cage is only teaching him bad things. TO come out, he should be taught to step up to your hand, either from within the cage or at the door. Figure out his favorite treat and ONLY use that for training. First training is t step up.
Hope this helps, and its all in my opinion,. There many of those and some successful, and some leess so,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. While at the breeder, he was not using this small cage. I see your point, and I agree, both cages are new homes for him. He was the more adventurous baby, so I understand why he doesn't want to get back into his cage.

When you say put him in his big cage, and let him stay there for a few days, do you mean don't let him out for a few days?

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Aw, congratulations! Shades was probably preening his feathers, don't worry right now.

With my greys, I have found each to be different in transitioning to their larger cages. Your Shades is likely wondering what's going on and if he's really young it may be best to stay in the smaller cage for a bit.

A routine works well. Bedtime is bedtime, out time is out time. Once he gets the routine he should be ok. The African grey forum has a ton of threads to help.

We needs pics!

Shades' hatch date was June 20 (5 days before my birthday), and he looks bigger than I expected. The breeder did clip his wings, but he flaps them as if he wants to fly.

I did tell him it was time for bed last night, and told him good night. I covered his cage 3/4 around, but then completely covered it this morning before sunrise. I'm hoping the repetiton of saying goodnight at bedtime will help him to understand what is going on.

Okay, so I'm going to attempt to post pics. Wish me luck! :04:

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Oh, so excited to see pics! It sounds like you and Shades are getting along well! I agree with Wrench that you might as well try the bigger cage if he's not particularly comforted by the size of the smaller cage. Had he instantly taken to it then that would be one thing, but since he doesn't seem a big fan of it anyway then I figure you might as well try the larger cage while things are new!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wonderful news!
"Shades"... that was the name of a character in the old movie "That Thing You Do".
It will be great to follow Shades' story.
If you want to sink to my level, I just toss a green chile into the cage, and in goes his fully-flighted, fearsome, disobedient majesty.
Hopefully, you'll follow all the great advice here and have a wonderfully-behaved bird. Sounds as if you're well on your way!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. While at the breeder, he was not using this small cage. I see your point, and I agree, both cages are new homes for him. He was the more adventurous baby, so I understand why he doesn't want to get back into his cage.

When you say put him in his big cage, and let him stay there for a few days, do you mean don't let him out for a few days?

No not at all. I have always had my greys out from day 1. Just judge how he's doing with his space. If you have his large cage, place it next to his smaller one. Leave it open, see how he takes to it. It may take a couple of weeks or a couple of hours! My experience has been with my greys who were well socialized, that they wanted to move over quick.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
I think I may just move him to the big cage sooner than the breeder suggested. I really think he'll be happier, especially since he's the only bird here, there isn't much of a need to quarantine. Of course, I'll be bugging you all with advice should he not cooperate again.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Wonderful news!
"Shades"... that was the name of a character in the old movie "That Thing You Do".
It will be great to follow Shades' story.
If you want to sink to my level, I just toss a green chile into the cage, and in goes his fully-flighted, fearsome, disobedient majesty.
Hopefully, you'll follow all the great advice here and have a wonderfully-behaved bird. Sounds as if you're well on your way!

I haven't seen that movie, but Shades has two origins. 1)Well, he is multiple "Shades" of Grey...his full name is Shades O'Grey (Hee, hee, hee)
2)I'm a diagnostic medical sonographer, and our images are made up of varying shades of grey.

I thought Shades would be a perfect name.:grey: :01:

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
qtpyinnj-albums-shades-picture17151-img-1631.jpg

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I didn't want to tell you to move him but he sounds like he will do well. Young greys sometimes are clumsy climbers at first. I put Nigel's perches lower at first.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
I don't know how to rotate the images. Also, is there a way to upload videos? I'd like you all to see the preening/plucking I was referring to.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I don't know how to rotate the images. Also, is there a way to upload videos? I'd like you all to see the preening/plucking I was referring to.

You have to upload the video to something like YouTube or Photobucket then link that video using the URL made to share. :)

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Using an iphone hold the camera in landscape position, with button on the right.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots

You have to upload the video to something like YouTube or Photobucket then link that video using the URL made to share. :)

Oh okay. Guess I'll get my 13 year old to show me that trick. Thanks!

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Using an iphone hold the camera in landscape position, with button on the right.

That'll be very helpful sine I'm using an iPhone! Maybe I can malrotate the pics I have, and try uploading them again.

I sure hope I don't overwhelm everyone. I feel like I just "gave birth" to a new baby, and I cannot stop taking pictures of him.

He just whistled, so I had to stop typing this message so I could run to his cage. It was so clear, and much better than my own whistle. <3 <3 <3

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
No not at all. I have always had my greys out from day 1. Just judge how he's doing with his space. If you have his large cage, place it next to his smaller one. Leave it open, see how he takes to it. It may take a couple of weeks or a couple of hours! My experience has been with my greys who were well socialized, that they wanted to move over quick.

I took your suggestion, and placed the small cage near the big cage. It took some cajoling, but I finally got him into the big cage. He wasn't at all happy at first, but he seems to be warming up to it.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015

That'll be very helpful sine I'm using an iPhone! Maybe I can malrotate the pics I have, and try uploading them again.

I sure hope I don't overwhelm everyone. I feel like I just "gave birth" to a new baby, and I cannot stop taking pictures of him.

I understand that feeling! I got Lucille yesterday, and I can't stop watching her do nothing and snapping pictures of her sitting still, LOL!

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots

I understand that feeling! I got Lucille yesterday, and I can't stop watching her do nothing and snapping pictures of her sitting still, LOL!

You and I are "birds of a feather!" That's adorable, and I love it! Lol!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts