She Looked So Sad...

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
This past week I took my Vacation to do a very time-intensive Webinar.

So - I've been working from home. Now, I vacationed at home. Not really that much difference, right? Well, except that my job is basically a form of customer-service and when working I take & make phone calls, so I separate myself as far from birdie-noise as possible.

Whereas, for a Webinar (and its associated "homework") she can sit or nap on my shoulder, attempt to talk over the speaker, or just play in her cage while I sit right Next to it. She got to enjoy these benefits for a full week!

So this weekend I did start "cuing" them again. ("Today is Saturday. Tomorrow is Sunday. I have to Go Back To Work On Monday...," etc.) And today I returned to all my normal workday-routines.

Also, today I kept telling Sunny that I would have to work. But, she didn't believe me. Not until I was just about ready to start. I had put on the "I'm working now" video and was pulling closed a room-divider curtain that I only use when working. Suddenly she was at the front of her cage wabbling her wings to come out. So I let her come with me to get all turned-on & logged-in for the day.

NORMALLY, when I do this, she relaxes on my shoulder until she notices my fingers Failing-To-Dismantle the keyboard, and then jumps-in to Help-With-That.

But. Not this time. INstead she spent the last few minutes of my vacation clinging to the front of my shirt. Staring up at me in utter sorrow. Looking like a child who has just had its Christmas presents all taken away.

I didn't get a picture. I needed to get competently logged in without being late. But I don't need a photo anyway. That was more than 9 hours ago, she's happy asleep in her cage now, but I'm still seeing that heartbroken look on her little face staring up at me...

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Your Sunny is a master manipulator, you do know that don't you?!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I have the same issue with albie, the look of total sadness when I put him in his cage so I can leave for work breaks my heart every single time. He clings to my fingers with such a tight grip. Hubby is home all day as he works from home so he's not alone and he's not in his cage all day but still.... Its hard leaving him!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
LOL We all have buttons on show and they know exactly which ones to push.

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Your Sunny is a master manipulator, you do know that don't you?!

Oh this is most definitely true. She has me wrapped around her littlest claw -- and she knows it too!

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
I absoloutely agree, Connie gave OH a hard bite,and drew blood, when he tried to get her to step up from my shoulder,said he would never speak to her again.
After a while of him ignoring her,she put this really sad little face on,and spoke to him every time he went past, and was obviously sorry about the incident.
Needless to say hes now giving her treats and worrying about her as usual.

Cooee Stitch!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts