"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You guys are weird sniffing at your birds!!!! LoL

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I smell the ekkies more cause they're always in my face. They tend to stink more, I think from the juice of the fruits and veggies they eat gets in their feathers. Willie smells better now after his bath! LoL

OP
Lauren

Lauren

Dec 13, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Parrots
Seth - 16 y/o Blue Crown Conure

Lily - 3 y/o White Capped Pionus
YES! At least I'm not alone with bird huffing LOL!!!

I misted her before work on Thursday and she ran from perch to perch (ok, kind of crawled, she's slow). But she doesn't smell as much and looks a little less.. *ahem* greasy.

I also did something naughty too... I went to go check out two 'Zons (a male blue fronted and a female OW) with possibly the intentions of bringing one home after Loto goes back to her owner.

KC is the male who is 7 and ohmigosh, is he EVER fluffy!!!!! He's the Amazon equivalent to my lovie, Skittles - SOOOO snuggly and is pretty much a giant jell-o bird. His current owner has had him for 2 years and has unfortunately developed allergies to them both. He's had a rough past apparently - he's wild caught and whoever had him originally (possibly male) pinned his wing leaving him unable to fly.. with that, he's developed a hatred for men (although his owner was saying, he wont make the effort to attack, ONLY if her boyfriend sticks a finger or a hand into his cage).

I also didn't know, blue fronted 'zons can be sexed visually?! Loto has minimal white on her forehead and KC has almost a mini-white crest (Loto is female, KC is a DNA'd male)

Jojo the 2 year old female is VERRRRRRRRY shy. I didn't really get to interact with her as she was in her cage sitting very still

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Haha. What a funny thread. I don't think my zon stinks. He loves water!!! As you can tell in my pic. He smells like flowers I'd say. Of I'm just a freak who like the smell lol.
He also refuses to drink after he baths. He won't drink if there a seed hull in there or a swollen pellet lol. I change his water 5-6 times a day. He has a shallow bath dish. He sometimes uses it. But only after I start misting him. And I use tap water. Iv used it for years. Using aloe now as well due to mold. I'm so happy he's finally losing those abused feathers. And to the op regauding showers. How long have you had your zon??
If there not enough trust this can end horriable.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Blue Fronts can be sexed by looking at them? Thats news to me.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Amazons can't be sexed visually except the white front and maybe a few others.
There some ways experts assume is a visual testing. But it's been proved several times wrong. Blue-fronted Amazon
Don't let these silly breeders fool you. DNA all the way. Lol
I remember someone before acually said yellow crowns were sexed but the red on the shoulders lol huh. I said you mean white fronted. They said no your bird. Its a she because the red. I told em even if that was true it would be the other way around. Plus I DNAed Sam. He's a he haha.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
I read some where you could sex a blue front by looking at its bum. Males, I read, have 2 large bumps on their butts. I sadly will never be able to see if Bean has such bumps, since I can't get near his rump. ;)

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

If so it's probably something iv overlooked :/
I can't find anywhere it says but who knows. It could be.
Iv just never seen it before. Are you able to find the link?

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

This is a really reliable site. Like I said I could be wrong.
I just never heard anything on it. This is the very first iv read it.
They could just be extreamlly hard to sex

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Everything else I read up on it said they could NOT be sexed without DNA, so it could just be one opinion on the matter. Who knows.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

That's what I was always told. And what iv read.
Yea I agree it could be the one opinion to the next

Songflower

Dec 24, 2012
Washington
Parrots
2 loverbirds (Tika & Tiko)
1 GC Amazon (Big G)
1 Alexandrian Ringneck (Goose)
I have a GC Amazon who also smells terribly, when I first got him I had no idea Amazons generally had a funk.. I just thought something was terribly wrong, like an infection in his nostrils or something. After repeated full baths I noted it didn't go away., and realized I had the internet for good searches on stuff like that. He will always just be my stinky G. :) :green1:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Expose her to running water, at the sink,shower ,what ever.

SweetPeasFriend

Jun 25, 2012
Media
Parrots
Parent's have, I baby sit a blue crown conure.
My husband and I adopted a rescue blue and gold macaw.
What a cute thread! haha.

The woman who ran the shop were we got our conure 35 years ago had an amazon, and my mother and I always thought he smelled a little. Never thought much about it.

The mitred conure we had smelled good, except whatever she ate she would retain the smell. I never knew any creature could get strawberry breath, but she would get very strong strawberry breath if she ate one. No kisses when she smelled of hot peppers.

Our little boy baby blue crown smelled a little when he was young. He had some bad habits of pooping right where he stood and stepping in his own poop. I was always cleaning off poopy feet. Now he bathes several times a week, doesn't get poop all over his feathers and feet, and loves to play in water. Because he plays and dunks every object or food item that he comes in contact with in water, we have to change his water 6 or 7 times a day, but he smells very nice.

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
There's about 1/2 dozen sub-species of BFA , many varying amounts of color. I know of no way to visually sex BFA. I 'd like to see the link on sexing by color.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
A rescue friend of mine swears that Amazons just have a natural scent to them. I can't smell it, but he is convinced it is just the way they are.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
My BFA definitely has a scent to him, pleasant though, and not strong. You have to be up in him to really smell it.

My GCC? No smell that I can tell, but my Sun conure? I just got her and gave her a good bath for the first time and she stinks! A smokey odor, not like cigarettes but like firewood ash. I suspect it has to do with her diet, as she was eating junky seeds (Hartz) prior to me getting her, so I'm sure diet effects other birds' smell too.

Most Reactions