Shelled Walnuts

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
How many of you give your Macaw shelled walnuts? I was thinking about giving Echo one but wasn't sure if she was to young for it. She loves peanuts in the shell. So I figured i'd give her something a lil more challenging. What does everyone thing or reccomend?

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I would stay away from the peanuts though, there can be a fungus/mold in the shell.

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
Walnuts in the shell are great, my Greenwing loves them. I take him to the beach every night after work and I always bring him 2 walnuts. The people at the beach love watching him crack them open, he is an expert at it. When he is done with the 2nd nut he will break a small piece of shell off and use it to clean the inside of his beak. In summer when I can't buy nuts at the supermarket I buy them from nutsonline.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
try almonds and pistachios in the shell too~ may be a bit easier for him to open

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
My macaw loves almonds, its easier for her than the walnuts. She hasn't figured out how to break a walnut shell, but I'll start it for her and she plays with it a little.

OP
rsaskey

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
Gave Echo her first shelled Walnuts and she loves them. She was able to break them open and everything.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I'm allergic to walnuts but my Hahn's eats them in his mix. I can always tell when he's recently had some because my arm gets itchy when he walks on it...

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Haha I am jealous. My poor Macaw is so far behind the learning curb (or she's lazy and realizes I'll do it for her if she drops it.)

Tarkus

Feb 27, 2012
Ponte Vedra Bch fl/Mantoloking NJ
Parrots
Catalina Macaw. I also have a rotation of birds I rehome
Haha I am jealous. My poor Macaw is so far behind the learning curb (or she's lazy and realizes I'll do it for her if she drops it.)

Lol. Just give the shell a little crack to get her started.

I had a grey that loved walnuts but couldn't get them open. After a week or so he learned to "soak" the nut in his water bowl to soften it up. That grey was brilliant !

Be Big,
Alan

OP
rsaskey

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
Wow soaking in water bowl first. Yeah birds are pretty smart.

Most Reactions