Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
I've had quite a few people contact me asking if I would consider shipping my babies. I know many of the members on here have had birds shipped to them, how does this work? Is it pretty stressful on the birds? What are the chances of picking up diseases? The last thing I want to do is put any of my babies in danger, advice?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've had experience with having several shipped before, and it was never a problem. Well wait... The only time it was a problem was NOT the airlines fault. The breeder might have been able to do it differently in hindsight. About 9 years ago, my mom had her Princess parrot Patches shipped. He came from the breeder in NORTHERN Calif., then caught a connecting flight across the entire United States to Georgia, THEN after the lay over of who knows how long, caught a flight all the way back to SOUTHERN Calif. :eek: because apparently there was no direct flight... but Georgia?! He lived, but was ill from exhaustion for a few days.

With the birds I've had shipped it was never a problem :). It has always been through Delta's Pets First service. Delta has been the leader in pet travel and bird breeders have been using them for years. They know what they're doing. It's easy... You make arrangements by phone, then you'll have forms to fill out at the cargo area where you send the birds off. The customer tracks the flight and goes to the Delta cargo pick up area for their airport and signs a paper and picks up their new pet! I've had birds come to California from Indiana, and Florida before with absolutely no problem. Raven came from Indiana, and when he walked out of the carrier at home, he ate from my hand and started playing with a foot toy! Most breeders will include some food items. I've seen pasta, firm veggies that hold up well like broccoli and carrot, and grapes for hydration. They probably don't eat it though. A nice touch is a cheap foot toy to include in the carrier like Raven's breeder did.

Here's some info on Delta's Pets First Pet Travel Options | Delta Air Lines

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I've shipped dozens of parrots though Delta and have never had an issue.About 125 plus the pet carrier (25 @ walmart) , if you're going to insure ,you need to have a vet check. Delta now makes you put a small mesh wire over the bars of the pet carrier . I usually use an apple slice to keep them hydrated. i also ship as early in the AM as possible so that they arrive during "business" hours, and don't spend the night somewhere in case an issue arises.I'm usually at the cargo section before 6 am and get the paper work and inspections done well before flight departures. PS you will need to install a perch in the carrier(near the bottom). Pretty simple with a couple of screws though the sides. BTW Delta only ships if the temps are OK and will not leave them out on the tarmac during loading/unloading. Some planning /travelling may be necessary it you don't live near a city that Delta services.

Last edited:
OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Thanks henpecked! Your post was very helpful, I'm actually only about 30 minutes from an airport that Delta goes to. lol please forgive me if that term isn't correct (NOT a flyer!) :)

Some more questions,
Do you have to insure? I would think that would be the recommended way to go wouldn't it?

Does the buyer pay for the vet check or is that the breeder's responsibility?

How come you can't put a water bottle and some pellets/seed in a carrier?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
In the past folks have shipped sick/unhealthy birds for the sole purpose of sueing the airline when they didn't survive shipping. The airline now requires a vet check in order to insure only healthy birds are being shipped/insured. I don't insure and have never had an issue. Water bottles spill and cause problems in cargo area of the plane. Usually they won't eat or drink much while traveling. Delta will feed and water shipped pets if they are kept overnight due to delays, but i've never been down that road. If you the 'buyer", wanted the bird insured then that cost would be passed on to you, by the shipper/seller. IMO Delta wouldn't treat a insured pet any differently than an uninsured pet.

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Great to know! Does temps affect where the birds would be in the plane? In MN we are in the middle of winter, a couple of weeks ago we had temps -30F, now it's warmed up but still only mid teens to upper 20's during the day. The safety of the birds are my biggest concern.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
You can check with Delta but i'm sure they won't be shipping birds /pets in those temps. Where they are carried in the hold is temp controlled, outside temps have nothing to do with temp in the hold. BTW they fly at 30,000+ feet ,,, temp is well below zero at that altitude.

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Ok, thank you!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I brought my birds with me when we moved to Hawaii and will be bringing them back with me when we move back to the mainland. Just from the phone conversations I had while planning I will only ever use Delta if it is available. From what I have seen, heard, and experienced, the buyer pays for the shipping typically, and I think if they want it insured that should be on them, but honestly if the bird doesn't make it that cost should be back on the breeder. You can check the public records online, airlines are required to disclose pet incidents. I read up on Delta, and for a while they were having an issue every few years because of the carrier coming apart. They now have very strict requirements on what kinds of carriers can and cannot be used because of this. When I shipped I used Apple, papers, grapes, and oranges strung on zip ties for hydration, and a spray of miillit each, and I used pellets as the required "absorbent bedding." This is watermelon, but keep in mind due to quarantine laws I was not allowed to open the container for over 24 hours. They also had a water bottle, but I'm not sure they sued it. They all ate millet and the produce.

Just be sure you are legally allowed to ship THAT species in THAT month to THAT state when shipping. For example IRNs cannot be shipped to hawaii, and Quakers are illegal in KS. DELTA has temperature embargoes as well, so don't plan on shipping mid winter or mid summer unless you know you can.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
I've had quite a few people contact me asking if I would consider shipping my babies. I know many of the members on here have had birds shipped to them, how does this work? Is it pretty stressful on the birds? What are the chances of picking up diseases? The last thing I want to do is put any of my babies in danger, advice?

Much depends upon the bird....meaning some states require quarantine of the birds, and some won't allow it period state to state transfer. Check the states codes, and ask a vet. There are transfer papers a vet usually should have.
The stress would be if you violate state codes and unexpectedly have bird quarantined...this could take a few weeks to clear up. And where is the bird in meantime thru it all? How is it treated during this all.....If you are traveling by air, you need to purchase an airline-approved carrier. For your pet bird to be able to ride in the cabin with you, the carrier needs to fit under your seat. Contact your airline for the proper carrier measurements.

If you are traveling to another state, check with that state’s Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and a state veterinarian to confirm that your bird’s species is allowed. Certain species, namely quaker parrots, are illegal to possess and travel within several states; authorities have the jurisdiction to confiscate your bird if found. Also, if the state you are traveling in has issued a quarantine on parrots and other avian species, your bird might be at risk for being confiscated. Before traveling state-to-state, get an interstate veterinary health certificate from your veterinarian at least 10 days prior to traveling.
International travel is very difficult to do with your bird and it takes a long time (often a year) to gather all the necessary paperwork. You have to obtain a Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) permit that must be validated by the USFWS. You must also check with the other country’s rules about entry with exotic pets. Some countries require additional paperwork and permits. Some do not allow the transport of exotic animals, due to fear of the avian flu.

I know for a fact some states won't allow transfer of budgies and are strick on that.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
In the past folks have shipped sick/unhealthy birds for the sole purpose of sueing the airline when they didn't survive shipping. The airline now requires a vet check in order to insure only healthy birds are being shipped/insured. I don't insure and have never had an issue. Water bottles spill and cause problems in cargo area of the plane. Usually they won't eat or drink much while traveling. Delta will feed and water shipped pets if they are kept overnight due to delays, but i've never been down that road. If you the 'buyer", wanted the bird insured then that cost would be passed on to you, by the shipper/seller. IMO Delta wouldn't treat a insured pet any differently than an uninsured pet.

Yep....Trust me on that, it is a new rule to have vet papers and some certain check (I forget what needs to be checked..pst something, that needs to be checked and verified now by vet for your bird)

Most Reactions