shocked and happy at the same time!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
After purchasing a new breeding pair of birds, imagine my shock and surprise when I walked into the bedroom to put them into their new cage and I see Safari, sitting along side my new whiteface male cockatiel, grinding his beak just chillin' while the sun shone on the two of them:eek::D

Safari seems to be mastering how to open and close clothes pegs, which was keeping the door closed on the cockatiel cage....ok must be a no-brainer for him now, but has NEVER done it before until now... now I'll put a dog clip on it from now on....oh Safari.....
what shocked me was he was perched right beside my cockatiel looking very content. 5 months ago he would have ripped any of my birds heads off!

It really does blow my mind how Safari just gets along with all of my birds now, I really am shocked and proud how easy going he has become.

now for the happy part....so I decided to bite the bullet today and purchase a breeding pair of cordon blue finches. I've admired them for sooooo long, and decided to go and see a pair. As I watched them fly around and was assessing them, don't they start mating as I gazed on:rolleyes:

I brought a box with me to put them in. when I got home I slid my hand in the box to grab one and doesn't the male fly out of the box like a rocket:eek:
my heart dropped!!
well, a million things are racing thru my head at this point, I have two conures out, Flare & Kahlua, and Safari, who could literally swallow this bird whole it's so darn tiny.
Kahlua starts flying around the room with this tiny little bird, and I told her to go back to her cage....which she did....mean while Safari & Flare are sitting there on their swing, watching me run around trying to catch this little rocket.

He landed on our dresser mirror and I quickly grabbed him before he became somebody's lunch:eek:

oh my goodness, nothing is ever boring with birds, lol
here is a picture of my new pair, male is on the right, female on the left

IMG_4462_zpsbae6c67d.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's great that Safari gets along so well with the rest of your flock!!!!

And the new finches are simply gorgeous!!! :D I've occasionally contemplated getting into finches just because I enjoy their soft beeps and chirps! It's a nicer thing to wake up to than conures screaming their heads off demanding food! LOL

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Sounds like Safari is one smart bird! You're going to have to watch him :)

Congrats on the cordon bleus! They are gorgeous!

We just got some finches this past weekend and cordon bleus are very much on my wanted list. Sammie, my Senegal, hasn't paid them any mind so far.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
@monica- when I first got Safari @ 7 months, he was quite easy going but started to become quite stubborn, now he's stepping up and getting along so very well with all of my birds, I'm still cautious and aware of the damage he can do, but he's always been here with the same birds, so I guess now their all a flock.

@thekarens-what kind of finches did you get? I've had plenty of them, but sold most of them for one reason or another, now I have St.Helena waxbill, and a gold breasted wax bill, plus my cordons.....right now both of them are in the nest --already!!...I think they are just hiding from the bigger birds, ha ha

@shelly- thanks, I think they are really quite pretty, I just love their blue, and the male has the nicest song, hopefully they will make pretty babies, but I hear they are hard to breed.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
We got gold breasted, lavenders and red-billed fire breasted. Cordon bleus and owl finches are the others I really want. Ours are young birds

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381947641978.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381947641978.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 256
OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
We got gold breasted, lavenders and red-billed fire breasted. Cordon bleus and owl finches are the others I really want. Ours are young birds

NICE!! I LOVE lavenders, they are beautiful, I guess yours all get along??

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

NICE!! I LOVE lavenders, they are beautiful, I guess yours all get along??

So far they all get a along. They are all young and we picked them based off what the breeder said Could live together. We'll see how things go as they mature. If there's problems we'll separate them.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
....already building a nest....

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Aw they are so cute, I love them too! Especially their cute little beeps!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
So pretty [they don't even look real :)]

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I know, they are so very very tiny, cute little birds though

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Your new babies are so beautiful! Congrats!!!

Most Reactions