Shopping for Blue and Gold cage

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
So I get it ..... I won't be bored.

I live in a houseful of Psych majors, this is going to be FUN!!! My wife especially, as she is a grade school teacher for special needs kids, with the greatest concentration on Autistism.

All of your stories are getting me even more jacked up for August to get here.

BUT, I will look to all of your collective knowledge for lots of help!!

I am most concerned for those early days of getting the little guy home and laying down that foundation that helps create a good bird.

I ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS, as I am a natural born "knowledge sponge"

I am in the same boat as you. Getting a GW in August. Thanks for this post; I added the first cage you posted to my list of potential cages. I'm also looking at the Kings double macaw cage.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So I get it ..... I won't be bored.

I live in a houseful of Psych majors, this is going to be FUN!!! My wife especially, as she is a grade school teacher for special needs kids, with the greatest concentration on Autistism.

All of your stories are getting me even more jacked up for August to get here.

BUT, I will look to all of your collective knowledge for lots of help!!

I am most concerned for those early days of getting the little guy home and laying down that foundation that helps create a good bird.

I ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS, as I am a natural born "knowledge sponge"

With a macaw it's all about structured interaction and boundary setting.

You raise a big mac the same way you would raise a human toddler.

And they are big mushy lap birds at heart.

First order of business is bite pressure training and basic step up.

Somewhere on this site there are links for first time mac owners with a lot more detailed responses. Right now I'm just too tired to go looking for them.

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
The Empire cage is HUGE!! It's the one I was initially considering for my girl. I've heard good things, but make sure you keep it clean and dry..they will rust.

Congrats on the upcoming addition!! Have you thought of possible names yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My B&G is in the Kings Model #506. I personally LOVE this cage! Mine is nearly 6 years old and has ZERO wear and tear, ZERO rust, still looks brand new.

Cages%20007_zpsbrouslis.jpg

And CONGRATULATIONS on your baby!!!! YIPPEEE :D

OP
ILBnGguy18

ILBnGguy18

Apr 10, 2016
Wendy, is that a single removable grate on the bottom, as well as a single removeable pan under it? How are they to remove for emptying and cleaning.

My B&G is in the Kings Model #506. I personally LOVE this cage! Mine is nearly 6 years old and has ZERO wear and tear, ZERO rust, still looks brand new.

Cages%20007_zpsbrouslis.jpg

And CONGRATULATIONS on your baby!!!! YIPPEEE :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, 1 single grate and 1 single tray. I just pull the tray out, but the grate has a 'lip' that is attached to the cage, so the bird can't slip it back and forth on its own. So in order to remove the grate, I move the 'lip' over and then remove the grate.

Both are a piece of cake to remove and clean. :)

OP
ILBnGguy18

ILBnGguy18

Apr 10, 2016
Yes, 1 single grate and 1 single tray. I just pull the tray out, but the grate has a 'lip' that is attached to the cage, so the bird can't slip it back and forth on its own. So in order to remove the grate, I move the 'lip' over and then remove the grate.

Both are a piece of cake to remove and clean. :)

I am trying to justify the $250 difference in price between the Kings cage and my 2 other choices :confused::confused::confused:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am trying to justify the $250 difference in price between the Kings cage and my 2 other choices :confused::confused::confused:

I tell you what, this is the other big mac cage I have (for my GW): Discounted Bird Cage I bought it when I had a 30% coupon, shipping was free.

So I can compare the A&E to my King's Cage. If I would have had the funds, I would have gotten another King's Cage. It's EXTREMELY heavy, and VERY well built. Definitely better built than the A&E. Bars are a little thicker on the King's cage, too.

I know it's a tough decision, but don't let it break the bank. ;)

OP
ILBnGguy18

ILBnGguy18

Apr 10, 2016
that is one of the 3, the other is

HQ Big Bird Cage 50x40

I tell you what, this is the other big mac cage I have (for my GW): Discounted Bird Cage I bought it when I had a 30% coupon, shipping was free.

So I can compare the A&E to my King's Cage. If I would have had the funds, I would have gotten another King's Cage. It's EXTREMELY heavy, and VERY well built. Definitely better built than the A&E. Bars are a little thicker on the King's cage, too.

I know it's a tough decision, but don't let it break the bank. ;)

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Get what you can afford. Besides the Cage you are looking at Playstand / Tree . Unless you are going to make your own. Any of the cages listed will be fine. Just make sure to maintain them and they will last. No Doubt the one Wendy has is a great cage. But again do what you can afford

OP
ILBnGguy18

ILBnGguy18

Apr 10, 2016
Wendy, I notice that the Kings's cage has only 3 food dishes whereas almost all other cages have 4. Is this an issue or not?

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
I was just wondering, we have a 5 month old Blue & Gold,
before we brought him home I scheduled a visit with our avian vet to ask all the questions I had. She recommended we keep him in a smaller cage at first, for several months because she said they are so clumsy. Shorter distance to fall. We have a large macaw cage ready when the time comes and the one has in now will become his sleep cage. He seems fine in the cage for now with room for rumbus, lol.
Wendy or Mark do you agree with vet? Cage now is 32x32

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
I would say it's too small. Normally when brought home they have gotten fairly agile. Maybe keep perches lower if it makes you feel comfortable. But I would say they'll be good with a standard size cage. Even the one I have (that came with my girl) I feel is way too small, but seems kinda pointless to replace it now.

Definitely buy or preferably build a playstand. It is a life saver!! I decided most playstands weren't up to my standards for "fun/interesting" and we're way to expensive. So I built my own that was exactly what I wanted, and I can change it around if she gets bored.

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
We have made a couple of playstands already. I have put him in the larger cage some for play. He's in his cage around 5 hrs a day, then in it a bedtime. He climbs all around the cage to play but spends alot of time on the bottom, I actually think he sleeps on the bottom. That's another reason I haven't moved him to the larger cage yet because he would be so low to the floor if he stays on the bottom alot.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I was just wondering, we have a 5 month old Blue & Gold,
before we brought him home I scheduled a visit with our avian vet to ask all the questions I had. She recommended we keep him in a smaller cage at first, for several months because she said they are so clumsy. Shorter distance to fall. We have a large macaw cage ready when the time comes and the one has in now will become his sleep cage. He seems fine in the cage for now with room for rumbus, lol.
Wendy or Mark do you agree with vet? Cage now is 32x32

I don't agree, no. Niko came home with me when he was 4 months old. Yes, he was still a bit clumsy, but he was fully grown. I would have never put him in a 32X32 cage. He was put in his permanent cage from day #1. :)

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
I don't agree, no. Niko came home with me when he was 4 months old. Yes, he was still a bit clumsy, but he was fully grown. I would have never put him in a 32X32 cage. He was put in his permanent cage from day #1. :)[/QUOTE]

When I noticed this thread about a cage for a baby coming home and no one mentioned a smaller one at first made me wonder. We were just going by what our vet suggested. We will make the move to the large cage and see how it goes.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm with Wendy, get the Kings cage. We had one of the others when we got Zoe and she had the powder coating stripped off it in 6 months. Kings is known for their excellence with powder coating and how long their cages last.

Most Reactions

Latest posts