short term memory loss??

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
hey! i wanted to know whats wrong with my lovie. bamboo is such a strange bird! when i got him a week ago, he was the friendliest bird ever. he used to sit on my hand all but now i think hes going crazy:p he used to be really comfortable with my hand on the cage, and didnt mind me petting him at all. now all of a sudden, one morning, i go say hello, and hes running around the cage like im gonna eat him. sometimes he himself comes to my hand, other days, he doesnt even know me. do any of your birds do this?? whats wrong with bamboo??:greenyellow:hes a crazy bird;)

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
It's still early days - you've only had him a week! He's still settling in and getting to know you. Be patient and consistent. He'll come round! :)

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
you think so?? yeah, maybe i am hurrying a little(a lot, actually) thanks, i guess i should give him some time right?? :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Are you using any "smelly" hand cream or perfumes? He might be responding to your scent, if you have one?

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
nope. i use nothing at all!! my skin is going rough like a hippo!!:p:p;):D

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Ok, then did you recently stop using lotions or perfumes? Maybe it's the lack of smell?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
It might be better to talk softly to him for a few minutes at a time for a while so he becomes comfortable with you. Be very patient with him and he'll come around :) and just curious, is the bird in your profile pic Bamboo?

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
He's just getting used to you! He's still making up his mind whether or not he likes you. And all birds have their grumpy days anyway. It's only been a week. Trust me this happens to everyone.

Good luck with Bamboo! And don't worry, he'll love you forever soon!

:09:

Last edited:
OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
aw man?? your all being really nice, but i dont think that crazy guy is gonna get better. you should see him today, he was sitting on my hand and eating from me. when i came back after an hour or so, i put my hand in and he got so panicked. he was trying to chew the bars, and he even bit me.:( what do i do with him? well you may be right, maybe i should give him sometime. ill let you know, thanks!!
P.S my profile picture is not bamboo. i just found a pic online, that looked JUST like bamoo, so i put it on:p im too lazy to find my camera. but yeah, bamboo looks just like that bird, so you can take it as bamboo.:D

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
oh yeah, and these days, hes started screaming, like how we do when we are angry and irritated. i dont know why!! he was sitting quietly, and suddenly hes all screamy and screeching SOOOOO loudly. im so worried!! hes never done this before, just started yesterday. im so worried!!:(:( should i get him a mate?? im really new with birds. i dont know what hes trying to do. do any of your birds do this? please let me know!! bamboo says thanks to all of you too!:greenyellow:

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
Some birds react badly to certain colours. It could be as simple as you're wearing a different shirt that reminds him of something he doesn't like.

One aviary I was reading about said all their birds get excited about the colour red even when they're older, because the bowls they use for hand-feeding are red.

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
@jugoya: yes!! he is a lovie... at least thats what the pet store said. i do think he looks like a budgie.... what do you mean??? hes a budgie?? omg! no!
@kimma: you think so?? i didnt know that..... k im gonna check out wearing lots of different shirts :p

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
That's why I asked you if that was him in the pic, because if he looks exactly like the bird in your profile, then what you've got is a budgie. Budgies are awesome! :) in many parts if the world, any small hookbill might be referred to as a "lovebird", especially if they come in pairs. If you could take a pic if your bird and upload it on this forum we could identify exactly what you have. I've heard budgies called lovebirds in parts of Europe, just as a general term. You're in India, so it might be that sort of situation, where lovebird is a nickname for small hookbills.

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
yeah sure, i will put up pics of him. but not that budgies are bad right?? thanks! bamboo looks like that only when he is all fluffed up, not all the time.thanks!!!!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
yeah sure, i will put up pics of him. but not that budgies are bad right?? thanks! bamboo looks like that only when he is all fluffed up, not all the time.thanks!!!![/

Lol of course budgies are not bad, budgies are very smart and friendly, I Have 2 and many, many others on here have many. Budgies are a favorite of most bird lovers :)

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
phew, but that means i will have to do all my research all over :p

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Do you have a cat or dog?? We realized our cats romping around at night would bother Ivory, especially if there was paper or anything on the floor near her cage to make noise. The cats don't bother with Ivory at all, not even in the cat, but the 'trauma' of having monsters crashing around outside your cage gave her a couple sleepness nights til we realized!

Most Reactions