Should I adopt this three year old ruby macaw?

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
First off, sorry if you've seen this post twice. My first one got deleted because of the IP address at the hotel I'm staying at, so I'm reposting.

I have been researching macaws for a little over a year now and I'm in contact with someone on Craigslist who needs to rehome their three year old male Ruby macaw. They are moving to another country because he is in the army, so the bird can't come along. The owner says he is a nice bird who has never bitten anyone, likes him and his wife equally, and lets their four young children pet him and will give them kisses. He spends half of his days on his play stands and the owner said he's only ever flown off of them on his own twice, and both times he was found perched in other places in the house and he hasn't destroyed anything. They don't have the breeders info anymore and they don't remember if the mother or father was the greenwing, but they say the macaw very much has the personality of a greenwing. He is absolutely gorgeous and based on their description, sounds like my dream bird!!

I'm out of town for a business trip but plan on going to meet the bird the weekend I return. I asked the owner what his favorite food was so that we could meet on a good note, so ill be showing up with organic roasted unsalted peanuts!!

I really want this bird, however I'm hesitant to adopt him because of the horror stories I hear about male hormonal macaws. Apparently it's even worse with greenwings (not sure with him being a hybrid though.) some sources say the violent hormonal behavior is only bad if the bird bonds with another bird. I plan on him being my only parrot for the rest of his life, and he currently has never grown up with any parrot siblings.

I find it odd that while researching macaw species, all I ever read was about how sweet and easygoing the greenwings are. Now that I'm searching specifically for adult male macaw behavior, everyone says adult male greenwings are the worst once they reach puberty.

Since this bird is already three, he will probably reach that point soon. This will be my first large parrot and I don't know if I could handle a large bird who suddenly went from being sweet and friendly to wanting to lunge and bite nonstop. Am I just reading worst case scenario stories?? Can anyone elaborate who currently owns a mature male macaw, either greenwing, scarlet, or ruby? Since he is an uncommon hybrid, it makes if even harder to research.

How well can I use his behavior when I go to meet him, in order to guess what kind of bird he will be once hormones kick in?

Also, can anyone recommend a good book for macaw training? All of the research I've done is online but I'd like to have a good physical resource to go to.

Thank you so much! I really look forward to any responses. I so desperately want to be a macaw owner but am willing to take words of caution into consideration. :red1:

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, that's mostly a whole lot of bunk...

Male greenwings can have dominance issues, but for the most part, they don't call them "gentle giants" for nothing. A mush mac, is a mush mac, is a mush mac...

This bird looks healthy, in good feather, and if he's already trained and well behaved, and you really want one, and can provide a proper home for the bird... WHY WOULDN'T YOU?!

WHAT YOU FREQUENTLY GET ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T PROPERLY TRAINED OR SOCIALIZED THEIR BIRD, AND THEN BLAME THE BIRD FOR ACTING UP.

I HAVE RETRAINED SEVERAL DOMINANT MALE GREENWINGS IN MY TIME. IN ALMOST EVERY SINGLE CASE, WHAT HAS HAPPENED IS THE PEOPLE THAT HAD HIM TRAINED HIM TO BITE BECAUSE HE WAS GIVEN THE RUN OF THE HOUSE, WAS ALLOWED TO DO AS HE PLEASED, AND THIS WAS REINFORCED BY GETTING HIS WAY EVERY TIME THE BIRD NIPPED OR BIT SOMEONE...

THE BIRD HAD BEEN INADVERTENTLY TRAINED TO DO THIS.

I HAD A RUBY REHAB... HUGE PERSONALITY BIRD!

If this bird has been properly socialized, then why do you believe you will have dominance issues? If you see it interact with his people, that will tell you right there. If anyone can come up to the bird and pet it, and pick it up, then it's probably a mush mac... Greenwings are actually easy macs, in my opinion. And this one looks mostly greenwing, only a handful of scarlet.

NOW A WORD ABOUT RUBIES - THEY ARE HALF SCARLET! Scarlet's are very beaky birds, they are smart, and they are the most manipulative of the big macs, in my opinion. So what you have is a beaky greenwing, that is probably as smart as a whip, and has a tendency to be manipulative. How do you deal with that? You DON'T let the bird think it can get it's way by manipulating you. If it doesn't work, they don't do it.

My Ruby rehab came to me as an out of control dominant biter - and it took about 8 months to rehab her. BUT she was also one of the smartest birds it was ever my privilege to work with, and her former owners had practically ruined her when I got her. So, that was a lot of work. She's now an out and about trained, go everywhere, love everyone bird. She was adopted out and has "her person" and she just adores that person. BUT she also gets handled by others to prevent those one person issues...

She's a mush mac, but a "beaky" mush mac... (Beaky is different from bite-y. Beaky means where another large macaw will explore things with their tongues, they tend to explore them more with the beak than the tongue. Get used to it, and don't over react. They put their beaks on everything, not just their tongues!) They also use their beaks to communicate. And that's the difference.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't know who "everyone" is, but I call BS on this one! The difficult age for macaws tends to be 7-12. And it's just because they are agitated, and hormonal, and may need to be trained out of territorial behaviors. When they are agitated, you leave them alone until they calm down. With territorial behaviors, just remove them from their territory, and it stops...

And they don't lunge bite because they are hormonal... they lunge bite to see how people REACT to them when they lunge. Made you jump! (Let's see what else we can make you do. That's mine! I want it. Bite...) Guess what, don't jump, they don't do it. If the bird bites you, and you reward him for biting you, you just trained him to bite you... so he will, until you train him not to. This isn't particular to Greenwings - THAT'S ALL OF THEM!

Bite pressure train them, they may pinch a little from time to time, but they don't break the skin. Handle them, pay attention to them, they stay mush macs! Cage them too much, they don't. Let them get away with murder, they will!

And I disagree that greenwings are the worst. I would say the opposite is true. Mine is 16 years old AND HAS NEVER acted up!!! NEVER!!! I had more hormonal problems with my RFM than I did with my Greenwing. (Both were relatively easy.) Maggie: http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/44784-maggie-my-gw.html

So, don't let that stop you.

http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/44797-birdman666-s-pictures.html Yeah, about that macaws being aggressive birds stuff?! Mostly that's about people who are afraid to handle them, and provoke the bird into biting by the way they act. Macaws are friggin' LAP BIRDS! But if you want to run around the room screaming in terror, they will be more than happy to chase you... it's all just a game to them.

Last edited:
OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Thank you so much for your responses!! I really just needed to get some reassurance from experienced owners of adult male macaws. This is encouraging.

As far as the scarlets being beaky, the owner has told me that the macaw will open his beak and fake lung if his humans do something he doesn't like. However he also said he often provokes the macaw to show people that his lunging is just a bluff. This really bothers me because I feel like it'll eventually push the bird to bite if humans do not seem to understand his obvious warning signs. However the owner said he's never bitten and loves attention and head scratches, and doesn't care who gives him the attention. Hopefully the lunging is something I can break him of if I give him the space he asks for when he wants it. Any suggestions on how to stop lunging?

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
ALL MACAWS DO THE LUNGE THING, INCLUDING MY GOOFY GIRL MAGGIE...

YOU KNOW WHAT MACAW PLAY IS?! IT'S BEAK WRESTLING!!! THEY LUNGE AT EACH OTHER AND WRESTLE WITH THIER BEAKS...

If you REACT TO IT AS A THREAT, the bird was playing, and now feels threatened... NOW YOU WILL GET BIT!!!

I can beak wrestle with BOTH my birds nose to beak with ZERO fear of any bite pressure actually being applied. I honestly don't remember the last time one of my macaws actually drew blood...

If it really is a lunge bite, two fingers controls that beak. If he's leaning out push pull with two fingers on the top of the beak. The bird will be off balance, the arm comes underneath, and up he goes, with you holding onto the beak. THAT'S STEP UP! NO BITING!!! Now knock it off...

THE WAY THESE PEOPLE ON THAT CHAT ROOM ARE TALKING, THEY HAVE BUZZ SAWS WITH FEATHERS... Did any of these folks ever bite pressure train their birds? How much do they get caged? How often are they handled? How well have they been socialized...

With a big mac it is ALL about the training and socialization...

I'VE SEEN DOMINANT MALE GREENWINGS CHASE PEOPLE AROUND THE HOUSE.... WHY?! BECAUSE THEY WERE DUMB ENOUGH TO RUN!!!

SAME BIRD, CAME AFTER MY FEET, I PULLED A PILLOW OFF THE COUCH, BACKED HIS BUTT INTO A CORNER, AND MADE HIM STEP UP NICE...

He didn't try to bite me at all after that. WHY? He knew better.

His owner?! He went for the owner's nose. Why? The owner wasn't going to discipline the bird, and he knew he would get away with it...

MOST OF THE TIME PEOPLE TRAIN THESE BIRDS TO BITE!

GO PLAY WITH THE BIRD, AND SEE WHAT HE'S LIKE... THAT'S MY ADVICE.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The macaw lunge thing is more a train the humans thing. The bird is playing. DO NOT OVER REACT TO IT...

If you cannot handle a bird doing that stuff, DO NOT get a large macaw. Because I don't know of a single species of large macaw that does not do this.

MACAWS more than all of them SENSE FEAR A MILE AWAY... IF THEY KNOW YOU ARE AFRAID AND CANNOT HANDLE THEM, YOU ARE DONE WORKING WITH THEM...

AND THAT'S PRETTY MUCH ALL OF THEM!

If you're acting skittish around them, they own you. They are confident birds, and they require a confident owner with a firm hand, who isn't going to jump every time the bird lunges...

With a Ruby, you generally either get the greenwing traits, or the scarlet traits. This one appears to be more greenwing.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Birdman put it in sentence better then I can. Listen to what he says cause I completely agree with him as usual..... :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
With Macaws once your in your IN :) [them bonding to you I mean]. They turn to mush as Birdman calls it. But your going to have to do your time and make it your mission. My Gw that I got last September,wanted to eat me! Theirs a hole in the couch she did trying to get me :). But now shes decided she likes me [and I can do anything with her !!{such a doll :)] Right now shes out holding my wrist licking my arm:) Ive learned with my birds if they have "loved " someone at one time. They can act that way again with who the choose. I think this bird you like is gorgeous. I have a Catalina Macaw who is part Scarlet . She even takes on the size and shape of one [shes not nippy at all].

OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Thank you thank you thank you!! Particularly to Birdman! You all have restored my faith and I can't wait to meet this macaw (not that I ever had lost that excitement.) The owner told me if I showed up with peanuts, then Rubin would be my best friend! I really hope we hit it off! I'm in Seattle right now so i got him organic peanuts at the Pike Place market. He'll be getting treats that traveled all the way across the country for him :) (We live in Georgia.) I will try to take pics and keep you all posted! Thanks again

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Birdman put it in sentence better then I can. Listen to what he says cause I completely agree with him as usual..... :)

Any resemblance between me and someone who actually knows what they are talking about is purely coincidental, I assure you! :D

What I don't get is what is up with the such a HUGE amount of misinformation on that other forum?! I mean the way these people were talking, they all had out of control biters on their hands... what is up with that?! AND EVERYONE WAS IN AGREEMENT ON THAT! WTF?!

And frankly, there isn't all that much difference between male and female macaws, if they have been properly socialized. [I've had plenty of both... even though both of mine are female. And that Ruby was a female, and was as dominant as any dominant male I've ever met... ]

Frankly, it makes a difference with hot 3 amazons (males) and (female) eckies... other than that, not so much!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Please take the plunge and get the bird. :)

I've had my catalina macaw for 4 1/2 weeks (I can't keep him due to health reasons) but I'm in love with him and it didn't take probably more than a minute. I think I was in love with him before I even got to meet him.

He lunges and now I lunge back. It's a game we play. He is territorial but I've just learned to open the cage door and then he pretty much lets me do whatever I want to his cage and in his cage.

Today, thanks to Birdman, when he lunged at me with open beak I let him go ahead and do the bite. I needed to know how hard his bite really was. He bit - I said "ow" and he walked away (he was on top of his cage). I offered him my other finger and he walked away from that one too. I know you aren't supposed to say "ow" but it just comes so naturally. It was a game and it seems like that once he did "the bite" the lunging and the biting are no longer fun.

So, what I want to convey to you is - go for it. People on here will encourage you and cheer you on. Anyone who is negative...well just read their posts and gain what you can and keep in touch with those that encourage you. I don't regret getting the big bird. Maybe when I get well I will get another one but for now I can't do it.

OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014

Any resemblance between me and someone who actually knows what they are talking about is purely coincidental, I assure you! :D

What I don't get is what is up with the such a HUGE amount of misinformation on that other forum?! I mean the way these people were talking, they all had out of control biters on their hands... what is up with that?! AND EVERYONE WAS IN AGREEMENT ON THAT! WTF?!

And frankly, there isn't all that much difference between male and female macaws, if they have been properly socialized. [I've had plenty of both... even though both of mine are female. And that Ruby was a female, and was as dominant as any dominant male I've ever met... ]

Frankly, it makes a difference with hot 3 amazons (males) and (female) eckies... other than that, not so much!

The link got removed due to forum rules (sorry, admin! I honestly didn't know) but I'm glad you got to see it Birdman. I really wanted to get a different perspective on it. After re-reading the responses, the similarity I can draw between most of those owners was that they had pairs or multiple large macaws. I can only assume that their males were choosing to over bond to other macaws and not their humans, so they felt compelled to protect their mates during breeding season. If that's the case, I can't say I'd behave any differently if I was the bird, especially if my human was a pushover! I particularly liked your story about using a pillow to back a bird into a corner! It made me chuckle picturing the scene. I hope it will never come to that situation when I do have a macaw, but its nice to know that household objects can be used to absorb a few bites and as tools to subdue a dominant bird. Reminds me of the dog whisperer and his tennis rackets! (I hope someone got that reference!) either way, I'm so glad I chose to join this forum vs the other forum mentioned in that link. You all seem very knowledgeable and so very helpful. And a sense of humor never hurts :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
IF THE BIRD IS PROPERLY SOCIALIZED STUFF LIKE THAT SHOULD NEVER BE NECESSARY. THAT PARTICULAR BIRD HAD NEVER BEEN DISCIPLINED A DAY IN HIS LIFE...

That particular bird thought he ran the household, and humans catered to his every whim, because that was his reality...

They have the same IQ as a human toddler. Imagine letting your Human toddler run amuck, destroy the house, do what ever it wants to, and get it's way by screaming, biting, throwing tantrums, etc... THAT'S WHAT THEY HAD. LIKE THE PARENTS WHO RAISE LITTLE MONSTER CHILDREN BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO IMPOSE ANY DISCIPLINE. THE SAME THING HAPPENS WITH BIG MACS... (and somehow that's the bird's fault!) Two year olds throw tantrums occasionally. It's normal. When they do, the parents are supposed to put the child in time out and teach it that this isn't an appropriate way to behave. THEY DIDN'T DO THEIR JOB. The "parents" say they "did everything they could" but what they really did was whatever the child/bird wanted, whenever the child/bird wanted it, and they wound up with what I refer to as - SPOILED BIRD SYNDROME!!! (And trust me, that is a real pain to undo! Especially if it's a cockatoo!)

And if these other people are breeders, talking about breeder birds?! Yer dang right a male dominant greenwing is not going to let you get ANYWHERE NEAR the nest, or a female on eggs... and I pitty the fool that has to go in and pull the babies when it's time to hand feed them. DAD is NOT going to be happy about it (or you) ever! So, that is technically correct information, I guess.

BUT BREEDER BIRDS ARE NOT "PET QUALITY" AND USUALLY DON'T GET HANDLED OR SOCIALIZED WITH PEOPLE. THEY BOND WITH THEIR MATES, AND THAT IS IT...

And if you looked at the link I posted, I have multiple macaws... (and used to take in fosters, so yeah, dozens...) do any of those look like feathered buzz saws to you?!

If you are convinced your bird is going to bite you, it becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:
OP
G

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Please take the plunge and get the bird. :)

I've had my catalina macaw for 4 1/2 weeks (I can't keep him due to health reasons) but I'm in love with him and it didn't take probably more than a minute. I think I was in love with him before I even got to meet him.

He lunges and now I lunge back. It's a game we play. He is territorial but I've just learned to open the cage door and then he pretty much lets me do whatever I want to his cage and in his cage.

Today, thanks to Birdman, when he lunged at me with open beak I let him go ahead and do the bite. I needed to know how hard his bite really was. He bit - I said "ow" and he walked away (he was on top of his cage). I offered him my other finger and he walked away from that one too. I know you aren't supposed to say "ow" but it just comes so naturally. It was a game and it seems like that once he did "the bite" the lunging and the biting are no longer fun.

So, what I want to convey to you is - go for it. People on here will encourage you and cheer you on. Anyone who is negative...well just read their posts and gain what you can and keep in touch with those that encourage you. I don't regret getting the big bird. Maybe when I get well I will get another one but for now I can't do it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems. I could only begin to imagine how hard it would be to give up a macaw, regardless of if you owned it for a week or several decades. I will admit that the idea of being bitten by that giant beak is daunting. However this will also be my first macaw, and I have no doubt that I will just need some time handling the bird and bonding with it to get over my fear. I try to think of them as dogs, in the sense that people who meet my dogs (who are naturally afraid of dogs) see their sharp canines and hyper focus on being bitten. To me, they are just teeth and their mouths are like their hands, so like most dog owners, I'm not phased when we play rough and they open their mouths to play wrestle and tug on toys. I know my girls would never bite me because I've made it very clear who the leader is, and they are happy to occupy their niche as followers and understand their role in the "pack".

I think birdman's toddler metaphor makes a lot of sense and I can see how easily a bird could learn to rule a house, but also how easily a knowledgeable owner could prevent that from ever happening. This is my first large bird, but I am an experienced and diligent pet owner. I understand that discipline has to be structured and repeated, and implemented immediately when an animal misbehaves, regardless of how inconvenient of a time and place it may be. I take great pride in people telling me my dogs are the smartest most well behaves dogs they've ever met, and even my cat gets tons of compliments for his unusual tendency to come when called and his sweet loving nature. Owning a macaw as a first parrot (besides my parakeet) is probably a huge leap, but I like to think I'm ready. I waited a year to make sure it was a pet I really really wanted, and so I've substituted my "bird time" for the past year with hours spent reading and watching videos on macaw ownership every night. (Though I'll admit many of those hours were occupied by cute and funny macaw YouTube videos. Haha!)

Anyways, thanks again for all of the reassurance. It's amazing to see the difference in the quality of advice given on here vs what I've seen on other forums. I think good forums are built on the backs of a few key members who not only have great advice, but are also willing to hand it out over and over to new members like myself. I know all that typing is no easy task! But I appreciate every word of it! :D :red1:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have posted this several times but you need to read this, because THIS is in my mind, what macaw ownership is REALLY like. Forget the feathered buzz saw nonsense!

NOBODY EVER TOLD ME ...

A Poem by Lori Zywiciel

I had hints, I had advice, I had cautions, but nobody told me how owning birds would completely take over my life.

Nobody told me I'd become a bird store junky, standing at the checkout counter in bliss until half way home and then wondering just how long it would be before the Visa came in or husband asked for the check book to balance the account.

Nobody told me my husband would say, "I think you ought to stay away from the bird store. You seem to have lost all control".

Hmmmm ... Me? How did this happen?

Nobody told me when I saw a particular cage for $595.00 I might think wow that IS a good deal. Or when someone mentioned a $4,000.00 cage I could see the reason some people might need a cage like that.

Nobody told me that I would be up at 7:00am on Sunday morning peeling yams and apples to cook so they would be added into a corn meal and wheat cereal mash.

Nobody told me I wouldn't mind when feeding that mash to my bird he would head shake his head with that mixture flying in every direction, on to my carpet, on to my clothes, on to my face.

Nobody told me how much money I would spend on food, how much of it I would buy and just how little my birds would like any of it.

Nobody mentioned that once you own birds you need an extra freezer in the garage.

Nobody told me that I would spend an hour standing with my hand on a tree branch watching for hawks so my bird could hang out in the sun and chew new buds.

Nobody told me I would be on the computer at all hours talking and reading about birds.

Nobody told me I would make friends I will never see and that I would worry about them and theirs as if family.

Nobody told me I would check my son's bed for old or damaged stuffed animals to give to the bird like that stuffed cat. He never really liked it and it is missing a leg anyway.

Nobody told me I would do two extra loads of laundry a week with bird towels and sheets. Nobody told me every morning I would put a sheet over my covers, litter my bed with weird wooden things, stuffed animals, leather pieces, apple slices and peanuts.

Nobody told me just how much he would squawk. Nobody told me I would come to hear differences in the tone and shrillness. Nobody told me I not only could tell the difference but would learn when to respond or that my husband would say it's okay, this is his good morning happy time he will settle down.

Nobody could have known that my husband would say, so he squawks it is less and less the kids will deal with it.

Nobody told me I could play with him like I do. That he would chase me and I would chase him. That he would be just as exuberant as a puppy.

Nobody told me my husband would rather snuggle with the bird in the morning than make his bagel.

Nobody told my husband would make an extra half a bagel to share with the birds.

Nobody could have convinced me that this same husband would agree to shower with the birds in the bathroom (for the steam) and then without urging, could be heard to play peek-a-boo while drying off.

Nobody told me how much I would sing out loud. Nobody could have guessed those songs would be golden oldies like You Are My Sunshine or songs from musicals.

Nobody told how excited I would get to come home after 6 hrs. and see seed thrown all over the place. Yea! He ate while I was gone.

Nobody told me that I would not resent vacuuming twice a day to clean up the mess he made while eating alone. Nobody told me how my heart would tighten when I got home today after being gone for six hours and took my squawking baby out.

Nobody told me how I would feel when sooo tired I put out a sheet on the floor, put toys all over, grabbed a pillow for me, lay down and my birdy only wanted to snuggle with me.

Nobody told me how it would feel to have a little bird body across your chest and neck, little head on your cheek. I was not told how soft his kisses would be or how warm his face was as he fell asleep on my cheek cooing softly.

Nobody told me how long I would lay there awake so he could sleep.

Everybody told me I would love him. Nobody could tell me how much.

[Lori lives in the mountains of Southern California. Her flock currently includes a red fronted macaw, an amazon and a Maxi pionus with an African grey coming soon. Lori's family also includes a husband who loves the birds, two teenage sons and five dogs. This poem of course, was inspired by the red fronted macaw... ]

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems. I could only begin to imagine how hard it would be to give up a macaw, regardless of if you owned it for a week or several decades. I will admit that the idea of being bitten by that giant beak is daunting. However this will also be my first macaw, and I have no doubt that I will just need some time handling the bird and bonding with it to get over my fear. I try to think of them as dogs, in the sense that people who meet my dogs (who are naturally afraid of dogs) see their sharp canines and hyper focus on being bitten. To me, they are just teeth and their mouths are like their hands, so like most dog owners, I'm not phased when we play rough and they open their mouths to play wrestle and tug on toys. I know my girls would never bite me because I've made it very clear who the leader is, and they are happy to occupy their niche as followers and understand their role in the "pack".

I think birdman's toddler metaphor makes a lot of sense and I can see how easily a bird could learn to rule a house, but also how easily a knowledgeable owner could prevent that from ever happening. This is my first large bird, but I am an experienced and diligent pet owner. I understand that discipline has to be structured and repeated, and implemented immediately when an animal misbehaves, regardless of how inconvenient of a time and place it may be. I take great pride in people telling me my dogs are the smartest most well behaves dogs they've ever met, and even my cat gets tons of compliments for his unusual tendency to come when called and his sweet loving nature. Owning a macaw as a first parrot (besides my parakeet) is probably a huge leap, but I like to think I'm ready. I waited a year to make sure it was a pet I really really wanted, and so I've substituted my "bird time" for the past year with hours spent reading and watching videos on macaw ownership every night. (Though I'll admit many of those hours were occupied by cute and funny macaw YouTube videos. Haha!)

Anyways, thanks again for all of the reassurance. It's amazing to see the difference in the quality of advice given on here vs what I've seen on other forums. I think good forums are built on the backs of a few key members who not only have great advice, but are also willing to hand it out over and over to new members like myself. I know all that typing is no easy task! But I appreciate every word of it! :D :red1:

It was hard to make the decision and my family supports me in it...sort of. They know how much the bird means to me but they also know the reason for letting him go (to a wonderful extended family member) will in the long run be better for me both physically and emotionally. Several members have suggested a smaller bird...well I have at least one cat that loves to catch birds so I don't want to take that chance. My macaw keeps all of my cats in line and as long as he doesn't hurt them...that is okay with me. And he doesn't seem to mind when the cate are sitting on my lap. ;)

I wish you all of the luck with your macaw and I hope you enjoy it.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I have posted this several times but you need to read this, because THIS is in my mind, what macaw ownership is REALLY like. Forget the feathered buzz saw nonsense!

NOBODY EVER TOLD ME ...

A Poem by Lori Zywiciel

Birdman - this poem brings tears to my eyes everytime I see/read it. I thank you for sharing it. I will never be the same after having my macaw.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
i have posted this several times but you need to read this, because this is in my mind, what macaw ownership is really like. Forget the feathered buzz saw nonsense!

Nobody ever told me ...

A poem by lori zywiciel

birdman - this poem brings tears to my eyes everytime i see/read it. I thank you for sharing it. I will never be the same after having my macaw.

yeah, it's a pity they're all such feathered buzz saws, eh?!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Well, I can't remember exactly why I got the one I started out with and he did intimidate me and I was able to place him in another home within the week. Even at his present owner he still intimidates me. :D Then I got the one I have now and well...I am in love and close friends and family know it.

Over taking care of the birds may well have been what has made my symptoms of my fibromyalgia reappear strong again and thus...I have to take care of me so I can't take care of my feathered friend.

Most Reactions