Should i clip Kiiwii's wings

Debbie

Nov 16, 2010
South Africa
Parrots
Sun Conure and Aggressive Indian Ringneck ;'(
Hi guys

My baby Sun Conure Kiiwii has been flying now for about 3 weeks .... little worried about taking me outside in case he flies off or my dogs get a hold of him.

I don't really want to clip his wings due to the fact that flying is freedom and i feel that i am taking something away from him.

Clipping his wings would be for his safety but i really don't want to and i defiantly don't want to keep him cooped up in a cage all day. :(

Any good advice you guys can give would be really appreciated

Thanks

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
There are different opinions on wing clipping. My opinion is, if you bird is currently fully flighted and has learned to fly then I would HATE to have their wings clipped. To me, it would break their spirit. So I would consider a flight harness, if your bird is tame enough to handle to get the harness on him.

If he has been previously clipped and his wings have grown back, but he hasn't been flying before, then I would clip his wings. I'm a firm believe in wing clipping after losing two birds to opoen doors and a third (a cockatiel), which got spooked flew from my shoulder straight into a wall breaking it's neck.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
As I see it there is a difference betwen wing clip and trim. My Amazon is wingtrimmed and can fly about 8 meters i downgoing direction. My Polly has newer experince any thing else. I also believe that this is a OK solution but I am training Polly to have a Aviator harness. Mabye Polly I ready to use it next year

OP
D

Debbie

Nov 16, 2010
South Africa
Parrots
Sun Conure and Aggressive Indian Ringneck ;'(
Thanks for the replies ...

Kiiwii just stared to fly i got him at 4 weeks old and have been hand feeding him since. Hes not about 8 - 9 weeks maybe more .... I would like him to still be about to fly . Think i should look up on the trimming coz i don't want him to not be able to fly totally.

Xenthius

Jul 12, 2011
Texas
Parrots
Panama Amazon
Patagonian Conure
I been reading the different opinions and points of view. We just got an adult PatagonianConure and he has his flight feathers but he won't stay on his stand and continues to fly to my wifes or my shoulder. I been trying to get him to stay on the play stand especially when I am in the kitchen. I have been considering on clipping him to get him used to stay on the play stand when he is out of his cage. He would be still within a few feet of myself or my wife but out of harms way.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
There are different opinions on wing clipping. My opinion is, if you bird is currently fully flighted and has learned to fly then I would HATE to have their wings clipped. To me, it would break their spirit. So I would consider a flight harness, if your bird is tame enough to handle to get the harness on him.

If he has been previously clipped and his wings have grown back, but he hasn't been flying before, then I would clip his wings. I'm a firm believe in wing clipping after losing two birds to opoen doors and a third (a cockatiel), which got spooked flew from my shoulder straight into a wall breaking it's neck.

I too, have lost a very very loved male tiel (fully flighted) because of an open door. Once you loose your beloved bird that way...you tend to gain a new respect for clipping.

:/

Good Luck with what ever you decide to do,

Toni

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
"Apple" Yellow-sided Green Cheeck Conure
I am on clipping side as I too have lost WAY too many birds that way. All growing up I had Parakeets and every single one of them flew away. :( Both of my Cockatiels flew off while cleaning their cage and my first larger parrot (Senegal named Mango) flew off while my step mother in law changed out his water bowl. I think a nice clipping to where he could still glide would be best. :) My new Parrots wings were already clipped so that decision was already made and he is a great little thing. :) Good luck and hope you figure something out.

wheyza

Jul 12, 2011
I would clip also. You can't control every situation that my come up, its just impossible. For the love of your bird, even though wings clipped, he/she can still get around, just cant take flight.

Most Reactions

Latest posts