Should I do it?,

birdman247

Oct 25, 2009
Hello everyone, I'm probably going to get a red-lored amazon off craigslist. I've talked with the guy and asked questions and whatnot. And one of those questions was his diet, The bird is 16 years old and has been fed a walmart bird seed for those 16 years, and rarely given any fresh fruits are veggies. that saddens me how you can get a bird and just feed it that. im suprised the bird is still alive honestly. Now, hes asking 350.00 for the bird and a big cage, the amazon is very freindly and talkitive, so thats a plus, but I'm not sure if i should pay the 350.00 for a mal-nurished bird. I want him becuase i can give him a good diet and fresh fruits and hopefullt prolong his life and make him healthier. i wouldnt be able to live with the fact i left a bird being fed a horrible diet and most likley in the long run, kill him. so do you guys think its worth *saving* the bird? or is it not worth it? Any help would be appreciated!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Can you base the sale on passing an examination of an avain vet? If he wants his $$$ he should say yes. If he says he won't do it than I would walk and look elsewhere.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
SB, I totally agree with everything you've said.

Although, I bought my boys when they were malnourished; they really made a huge turn-around. Sunshine went from not even having a tail to having a full fan of long, beautiful feathers. The quality of the feathering increased as well.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I'm torn on this one...No one wants to spend money on a sickly pet. It's hard enough integrating a healthy one into your family and lifestyle. However, $350 is pretty cheap for a bird and cage, and obviously you'd provide a healthier environment for him. But, $350 isn't anything to sneeze at and I don't know anyone who wouldn't need to think about it before spending that.

SB's advice is good, though. See if the current owner is willing.

OP
B

birdman247

Oct 25, 2009
I e-mailed him and asked if the bird has ever been to a vet, he replied "Yes" but didnt gice a reason why, so i e-mailed him back and so far no response

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
How many birds to you have Birdman? I recall you selling parrots "cheap".

Last edited:
OP
B

birdman247

Oct 25, 2009
He said the bird has been to the vet 4 years ago for a check up. but he doesnt have papers to prove that.

Spiritbird,
I currently have no birds, which is why im looking,
I dont sell parrots "cheap". I had to sell my maxi. pionus becuase of hard times, and a death in the family. Now, i do regret putting "cheap" in my title. to this day i regret becuase it makes me look like a irresponsable bird owner, and i was just trying to sell a parrot for money. but that is the exact opposite. i figured putting cheap int he title would bring in more pople. but it didnt, it just made me look like a bad person. which is totally not me.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Last edited:
OP
B

birdman247

Oct 25, 2009
Thank you for the link and understanding, ill check those links out

Most Reactions