Should I get a new parrot?

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
Hi! This may seem a bit random, but I am considering getting a new parrot friend soon! It is not set in stone, but I think it might be a good idea. What do you guys think?
A big reason I am considering it is because of Kirby, my kakariki. I give him toys and try to take him out as much as I can but I can't always take him out as much as I want to and he isn't into toys much. I think he really needs a friend of his kind to be happy. (I think he must be lonely in his room because its shut off from the rest of the house due to our cats!)
I also think it would help me stress less! I think I am like a first time mother, haha. I obsess about him too much and I feel like having another one would show me that what he does is normal, and that I don't have to worry as much as I do.
And of course the other reason is that I just love parrots and want can't get enough of them! :D

I already have a cage (Kirby's old cage), so besides the bird itself, cost isn't much of an issue. It is a smallish cage, so I can only consider small parrots. (A green cheeked conure would be pushing it a little)

Here's what I want in a parrot:
Easily picked up and handled
Easy to care for
Calm enough to sit on my shoulder or a perch for a while
Entertaining! I want a silly and fun bird!
Not very prone to disease/hardy (just for my worry wart self :09:)
Small
Cuddly/can learn to like petting
Independent enough to stay in his cage most of the day

Some parrots I am considering: Cockatiel, Linnie, budgie, parrotlet.

So, what do you guys think? :green:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Cockatiel!!!! They're super entertaining to me. But the Kakariki I had before years ago, Katie the Kakariki was quite entertaining too. How small is smallish cage?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Awww.... I think cute little Kirby would probably like a buddy:) I've always thought parrotlets seemed like nice, friendly little birds. And they're really small, so a "smallish" cage for a green cheek sized bird would be pretty sizable for a bird a fraction of that size.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I loved my cockatiel Sam. Sweet, smart and very loving. I'm falling in love with sun conure jenday cross breeds. I've met two that were funny, silly, friendly and very lovable. One is my cousins and when I go over I open his cage, he hops on my finger and we visit. Go visit some too. You never know who you will meet, lol. Good luck.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Usually "funny/silly" personality translates into "not easy" and less independent :)

Budgies are independent though, and they're super active and cute, so they're funny and entertaining to watch. They make cute little squeaks and twitters, but watch out - make sure your family doesn't mind loud screaming fits which is normal for Budgies.

The others sound like good choices too :). They say Parrotlets have a "big parrot" personality, so can be more inclined to stubbornness and biting.

Good luck. Can't wait to see what you decide!

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Usually "funny/silly" personality translates into "not easy" and less independent :)

Budgies are independent though, and they're super active and cute, so they're funny and entertaining to watch. They make cute little squeaks and twitters, but watch out - make sure your family doesn't mind loud screaming fits which is normal for Budgies.

The others sound like good choices too :). They say Parrotlets have a "big parrot" personality, so can be more inclined to stubbornness and biting.

Good luck. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The sillest parrots I know are Cockatoos, and they aren't so easy. (but they are super lovable!!)
You know, I don't think I should decide at all! I was totally set on a green cheek conure when I was getting a parrot and fell in love with the kaks they had there instead. I think I should just go to the bird store and decide after I play with them.

Thank you guys for all the help!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I think that's a wonderful idea, can't wait to hear what you decide.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Ahh, poor Kirby. He is shut off in the other room? Personally, I'm not sure I would get another bird in this situation. I would be as torn by it as you are.
I understand wanting another bird and a companion for your bird, but then if it was me, I would just worry about two birds being lonely in the other room. That's a tough choice.
There must be some way to get Kirby and possibly another bird into the room with everyone else for companionship. I'm sure you have already thought all of this through but just an idea.
Can you consider an aviary type cage for in the family room where everyone is? With casters so you can move it around fairly easily. That would be great, you could always put a divider in the cage if necessary. :)

Last edited:

KiwiPlusUs1025

Feb 23, 2014
South Florida
Parrots
Yellow Side Green Check Conure
Ahh, poor Kirby. He is shut off in the other room? Personally, I'm not sure I would get another bird in this situation. I would be as torn by it as you are.
I understand wanting another bird and a companion for your bird, but then if it was me, I would just worry about two birds being lonely in the other room. That's a tough choice.
There must be some way to get Kirby and possibly another bird into the room with everyone else for companionship. I'm sure you have already thought all of this through but just an idea.
Can you consider an aviary type cage for in the family room where everyone is? With casters so you can move it around fairly easily. That would be great, you could always put a divider in the cage if necessary. :)

Sorry to say but I agree. Like many people here on the form have said parrot or flock animals. They should be in the room where most of the family is most of the time. Maybe you could place the cats in a room while the Kirby is having "out of cage time" and let the cats out again when he is "locked" up and safe.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots

I know. :( We are definitely trying to change that. Nobody really comes in the room very often unless we are coming to play with Kirby and I think that must be boring for him. We are getting a TV in there too so I think that will help because we will be there more often to hang out and it won't be as boring for him.

But the thing is, I really can't move him into the living room. That would be stressful not only for me, but for Kirby. Two of our three cats are huge predators so I make sure to never let them in his room. Even if the bars are tight enough for her to not get him through the cage, there is still the chance that she could knock over his cage or give him a heart attack. (or just simply make him uncomfortable) It is also connected to the kitchen so he would be more vulnerable to fumes.

Actually we would be planning to change up the room a lot before we would even get the new bird. I want the room to be a lot more happening because I know birds like to be around a lot of activity! ^-^

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'll chime in and give a view from the "other side of the fence" :)

How about those of us with Bird Rooms?! Since my hubby and I moved here, without getting into the personal details of 'why', the birds have had to be in their own space.
But my playground set up is like Disneyland for them! I've seen a change in them too for the better. They're actually happier NOW in their room than where we lived before, when they were in the living room. Raven has even been much more cooperative and friendly with me lately. I've noticed a marked difference! Maybe they felt more vulnerable there, and more cozy and safe in their room now? When I'm not there and they have to be in their cages, they have TONS of toys, and believe me, no one is complaining! Quite the opposite I'm relieved to see. :D

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
I'll chime in and give a view from the "other side of the fence" :)

How about those of us with Bird Rooms?! Since my hubby and I moved here, without getting into the personal details of 'why', the birds have had to be in their own space.
But my playground set up is like Disneyland for them! I've seen a change in them too for the better. They're actually happier NOW in their room than where we lived before, when they were in the living room. Raven has even been much more cooperative and friendly with me lately. I've noticed a marked difference! Maybe they felt more vulnerable there, and more cozy and safe in their room now? When I'm not there and they have to be in their cages, they have TONS of toys, and believe me, no one is complaining! Quite the opposite I'm relieved to see. :D

Thats a good point! I think instead of moving him, I can keep the birds alone in a very fun room! I think many birds are happy alone if they have a lot to do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts