Should I interfere?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
When I give the Phloque out-of-cage-time, I allow all three out together. Since Dominic is still somewhat of a pedestrian and disabled, he toddles around the table and kitchen benches quite happily. The Beaks are aerialists and spend their time aloft (until I call them down for Work). Just lately, the Beaks have been taking a bit of interest in Dommie, sidling along to check out his house while he's out of doors and even approaching him a few times.

Dom is petrified of the Beaks, especially when they swoop over his head. He sticks his crest straight up in the air and screeches at them angrily! Then, he'll either retire to his house or go and squidge himself into my husband's armpit.

!!!

This morning, Dommie flew up to the top of the Beaks' cage, where he simply sat enjoying the morning sun and snoozing a bit. Eventually, both Madge and Barney came down from the playgym to investigate him. This ended in Dommie and Madge having a rather heated beaking match while Barney looked on in astonishment. I, of course, leaped to Dom's defence and removed him from the cage, enjoying a beaut chomp on my forearm for my trouble. There's a bruise there now and a scab is forming... Snif!

Anyway, should I interfere in these encounters or just leave the birds to sort it out? Dominic weighs twice as much as the Alexes do, but his bill is about a quarter the size of theirs. As far as I can tell, no one is territorial about cages or food or anything. They've just not been formally introduced. What should I do? Keep them strictly apart, or allow them to investigate each other? And if an altercation blows up, whom should I grab? The aggressor or the aggressee? Or not?

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Safety first. Horrible consequences cannot be undone.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Absolutely interfere cause like golar says, safety first! Grab which ever one you can get ahold of. Or have a training stick available and stick it inbetween.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I would suggest separate out of cage time. Once a accident happens, it's the bird who suffers. Alexandrine beaks are quite strong and their bite could really do some harm. I wouldn't take the risk, but it is your choice, as they are your birds. Dom would feel much safe if the beaks weren't out at the same time as he is.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I agree with separate out-of-cage times to prevent something bad from happening. This might also strengthen Dom's confidence if he doesn't have to worry about being dive-bombed by the beaks.

But definitely interfere- I personally would rather get the heck bit out of my hand trying to break up a fight then have something horrible happen for not breaking it up.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I'll make it unanimous. With several birds, myself, I schedule everyone who gets along together, out together. Those who don't, get their own out of cage time. Saves on their stress, and mine!

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Thanks everyone! I guess I had hoped to foster an atmosphere of peace'n'harmony, but in the interests of Dommie's safety, it'll have to be safety first. Usually, Dom comes out of his house for an hour or so and then the Beaks join him for a couple of hours. I'm always there to supervise and have been purposely keeping the Beaks away from him up till now. I'd hoped they might eventually meet and agree to a détente, but I guess not.

Mind you, I see pics of mixed species getting along all the time. How does that happen? How can you tell if bird A is going to be affable with bird B? In the past, I've kept my birds in outdoor aviaries and just put new guys in without even dreaming of conflict. There never was any! Is it the space in the aviary that makes the difference???

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
In the aviary there's ample of room for they to fly away from each other if they needed to. In a closed in space, there isn't all that much room for them to get away unless you have a pretty nice sized room with many different perches lined up all the way around so they don't have to sit near by each other if they don't want to. But some birds are just naughty though like my Malachai, he goes to look for trouble....

Most Reactions