should I put Puff with my cockatiels??

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
when Puff is all better, I was thinking of putting him in with my 4 cockatiels, they are in a flight cage.....do you think he would be ok, or do you think 4 is too many for a wee little budgie.
I don't want him freaked out over 4 larger birds with him in the cage.

I would love for him to fly around the bedroom like the other birds, but I would only let him out with the cockatiels, no conures,senegals, or lovebirds

He's in his own cage right now, but I really don't want ANOTHER cage in the bedroom, I've already added 3 more, and I really don't have space for yet another cage. I have 6 in there already:eek:

what do you think??.....

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
....anybody??

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Funny with the cages ! Who needs furniture right ;) Could you ease him in like try one bird. I don't know anything about budgies . Would all those bigger birds be overwhelming for him ?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The biggest issue isn't the cockatiels, but the budgie! LOL

Cockatiels are like that laid back golden retriever that's more bark than they are bite. They just like to chill.

Budgies on the other hand are more like chihuahuas or terriers. Hyper active little creatures, always in your face, always pestering you, a busy body in other words.

Many cockatiels find budgies pesky because of their behaviors. Unless you have a large cage or aviary, I wouldn't recommend it! If you do have one of those (which you said you have a flight cage), then try it. Observe them and see how well Puff gets along with the tiels.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm with Monica on this one, budgies can be pesky little birds. BUT I keep budgies with cockatiels for years in flight cage without issues. I actually have a male budgie feeding a male cockatiel right now....kinda strange yes...lol...Then another male budgie feeding another male cockatiel that had a batch of eggs with his mate, the budgie helped raised their babies. He goes in to feed the babies when the momma isn't around.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Perhaps you should get Puff a friend or two and THEN combine them with the tiels??? Or would all the budgies bully the tiels then? :confused:

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

I was going to get him a friend, but then realized he may not stay tame, right now I am working with him and he doesn't bite and is stepping up really well, I just don't want to loose that.

@mikey- Halo, my favourite lovebird fed one of my baby budgie chicks too, it was really something to see...and strange at the same time

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I once had 5 budgies, 4 hens and 1 male. When my birds were cage-free, they did live with the cockatiels, too.

Anyway, I recall watching them one day and one female decided to pick at the males flight feathers. Simultaneously, another hen tried to bite his tail feathers. All of them were flighted, and he sat there not knowing which girl to go after!

Another time, when I left the country, I had to house 5 cockatiels, a budgie and a bourke all in the same HQ flight cage. The budgie did get out once, but other than that, they seemed to have survived the ordeal!

Most Reactions