Should I????

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
I would really like to get Bartleby a companion. I don't play with as much as I do with S'mores. All she ever does is sit in her cage, eating or preening. But I don't want to get her a cockatiel mate. I saw something in my "Cockatiels for Dummies" book. The book says that you can actually put a finch or two in the same cage as your cockatiel and your tiel will treat it as a pet, sort of. If I can put a finch in with my cockatiel, I'm considering buying one.

So here's my questions:
-Can I put a finch with my cockatiel?
-Which species of finch would be best to use? I was thinking a society or zebra finch.
-Anybody know of some websites where I can get great info and care on finches.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
General rule : hook beaks with hook beaks straight beaks with straight beaks

That's what we advised when I worked in the pet shop many years ago anyways

I know it contradicts what I have just said but possible a canary ( a larger type one ) not as likely to get damaged as a little wee finch

Remember though as always you've no gaurentee your bird will like it's intended mate and what then ???

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Georigie, a very maniacal ball of fluff.
Babii (baby), The cuddle sponge
That definitely seems needlessly dangerous for the finches. If you don't mind me asking, what's the aversion to a same sex cockateil friend, and like phoenix said, what if they don't get along?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ap, I know nothing about cockatiels, read all the posts above.
I am curious how come you do not want to get another cockatiel?
Wouldn't that probably be your safest choice?

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I have to agree with Ant about considering another tiel. There's the issue of seperate cages for a while though as in my experience, there tends to be a "bully" at first and leaving them in the same cage can be brutal. Strangely, twice I've seen the "newcomer" be the bully! Cheeky ;)

With regards to the Zebra's, these lil guys are so easy going it's unreal. There's mixed reviews on keeping them with other birds. Sort of like a rabbit and a guinea pig. My guinea died this March aged 9 and he'd lived with 2 rabbits in his lifetime with no ill effects.

I have to agree that perhaps a tiel is too big for them outside of an aviary environment. They're very prone to heart failure through shock, although it takes a lot.

When I was younger I had a budgie and 2 zebra's in seperate cages. The budgie would often visit them and they were most accomodating but when all was said and done, they could always go back to their own cages or fly around the room. The cage doors were never shut as the room was safe. I wish I could do the same now lol.

If I remember rightly, I think I saw you say Bartebly is biiig for a tiel. Bearing that in mind, something of similar size may be in order.

I'm sure some of the others will be able to advise better. :)

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Do bartleby and Smores get along well?

Last edited:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey AP, from all that I've read on the matter it is not suggested unless you house them in a very large aviary, and even then there are mixed feelings on the subject, I'd would probaby suggest proceeding on the side of caution and pass on finch/tiel plan, makes me glad that your always thinking about the health, welfare and happiness of your fids though :)

Last edited:
OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Ap, I know nothing about cockatiels, read all the posts above.
I am curious how come you do not want to get another cockatiel?
Wouldn't that probably be your safest choice?

I have to agree with Ant about considering another tiel.

The reason why another I can't get another tiel is because of cages. If I get another tiel, and they don't like each other, the other cages I have are not good enough for the new tiel. However, if I get a finch or two, and if it doesn't work out with Bartleby, I have a good cage to put it/them in. I could buy another bigger cage for the new tiel but I'm saving $$$ and I don't have the space at the moment for a bigger cage.

With regards to the Zebra's, these lil guys are so easy going it's unreal. There's mixed reviews on keeping them with other birds. Sort of like a rabbit and a guinea pig. My guinea died this March aged 9 and he'd lived with 2 rabbits in his lifetime with no ill effects.

Yeah, Zebra finches are great, but from doing some research, I'm thinking society finch, but we'll see.

Remember quarantine if you do get another bird.

Ahhh, don't worry Ratzy, qurantining is my thing ;)

Do bartleby and Smores get along well?

They enjoy being cage neighbors greatly, they talk to each other, show off, etc. but outside the cage, it's different. They can tolerate each other outside the cage but they'll fight. And inside the same cage is a BIG NO-NO!!

And to end this, plus, I've always wanted a finch or two.

Most Reactions