Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Husband surprised me today, he suggested getting a male Ekkie so Venus has a close buddy. :confused: she has a buddy, his name is Buddy, she annoys him, he cries because she taunts him, they interact, they aren't lonely, and they don't make babies! So I was surprised when he said it. Well it's because he saw a 5 month old male Ekkie today who is halfway to a full candy corn colored beak. He's questioning things like they should be in pairs, they are sensitive, etc.

I told him we need to research before considering it because they will want to be special friends, then comes hormonal Venus, then possibly babies which I DO NOT WANT! I'm not a breeder, do not want to be, mainly because nobody would be good enough for my babies and I don't want to be responsible for trying to raise babies because I do not know anything about raising chicks. Selfish yes, but responsible. I'm researching but wanted to ask if it is necessary for ekkies to be in pairs?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hiya, Tracey! No, I don't think it's really necessary for them to be in pairs. Especially not if she forms a close bond with you... which she seems to have done already. But if you decided to get a male ekkie simply because you'd like another, just take steps to ensure that they don't really get the opportunity to mate. No nesting materials and such. Keep them in separate cages. Don't leave them unsupervised.

On a different note, how is Venus doing, now? Has her breathing gotten any better?

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I am so glad to hear that. I think Venus is fine without a man, lol. She runs the house just fine without another bird. Maybe down the road we get a male Ekkie but not now.

Venus is doing much better, thanks for asking. I will be taking her to the vet this week for another check up. While her breathing has improved and you don't hear her wheezing all the time, at times she makes sounds like a small child with a congested, stuffy nose full of snot, like her nose is snotty. The sounds are like squeaks or snot bubbles popping. I apologize for the graphic picture that brings up mentally, lol. Other than that, she's 1000% percent diva in charge, picking locks, uprooting perches, making Buddy cry daily, normal stuff, lol.

Rubytheeccie

Jan 22, 2015
Happy Valley, Adelaide, South Australia
Parrots
Ruby 2yo Eclectus
Jade baby Yellow Sided Conure
Pretty Boy male galah
Cocky male galah
I am so glad to hear that. I think Venus is fine without a man, lol. She runs the house just fine without another bird. Maybe down the road we get a male Ekkie but not now.

Venus is doing much better, thanks for asking. I will be taking her to the vet this week for another check up. While her breathing has improved and you don't hear her wheezing all the time, at times she makes sounds like a small child with a congested, stuffy nose full of snot, like her nose is snotty. The sounds are like squeaks or snot bubbles popping. I apologize for the graphic picture that brings up mentally, lol. Other than that, she's 1000% percent diva in charge, picking locks, uprooting perches, making Buddy cry daily, normal stuff, lol.

Lmao. Thank you for the images and best of all the laughs on Venus. You have closely described my Ruby, she is definitely the queen of my home lol well her home lol

Thanks again xx

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
I am considering this for my bird, as well. He is a 2 year old male, and I've been thinking for a while if I should get him a 'girlfriend' while he is still young. I never wanted to (I never intend to ever raise babies, too many unwanted pets in the world already), but I was reading a Breeders website and they said they should always get a mate because their hormones become a serious issue as adults when they can't 'vent their frustration'. This often leads to human frustration and bird re-homing.

I understand this concept, I believe in desexing all animals because it's not fair on them to not be allowed to breed with all hormones running through their body with no escape. But obviously we can't desex birds so it's something I have been concerned about...

Would people recommend getting a mate while he is still quite young? Or should he be fine as a loner?... I'm always concerned about his mental health, birds are flock animals after all and humans are not the best substitute for their own species.

Also, if I did get a female and they bred, would it be unethical to destroy any eggs they make as soon as I see them, and replace them with fake eggs? ...

Edit: Or, given eclectus don't usually bond with a single mate, would it perhaps be an option to find another person in the area with a female eclectus, and bring the birds over to each others houses every now and then so they can become friendly? Does this work?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts