Phobia? What Phobia?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Some of you may remember that Maya had a weird (and extreme!) phobia of brooms when she first came. The phobia was particularly strange because other sticks/branches of similar size barely even fazed her. So I set about working to get her past this rather... specific fear.

And now I'd like to give an update...
20150426_200046_zpss3sjfnve.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Whoo-hoo!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Bravo Maya! Fears confronted and overcome!

The broom is Maya's friend! Brave, Brave Girl!

Nice work, Doc! How'd you do that?

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Good job Maya! We are all very proud of you sweet heart for getting over your fears of brooms! High four Maya! :D Good job teacher! How did you do that???

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Nice job Maya! Next thing you know your dad will be asking you to help with the sweeping.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Go Maya! She looks quite confident on her newfound perch:) Pretty soon she'll be doing housework!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
That is fantastic!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
See dad, I'm not really a big sissy! :)

Hahahahahahahahaha! Nope. No sissy there!

Oh that is CUTE. Great job with Maya, Stephen :)!!

Thanks Jules!

Thanks, Huckleberry! As for how it was a three stage process. First I worked on our bond, getting her to trust me and feel safe with me. Then I worked on establishing an association between me saying that everything is okay and a feeling of comfort or protection. (Like anytime something would startle her or make her wary, I'd turn with her to interpose myself between her and the "threat" and quietly reassured her as I walked her away from it.) And then finally I began conditioning her to it. I'd put it in the same room as us and then slowly approach with her. By the time I got to within 13 or so feet, she'd start getting antsy. So I'd halt my approach and reassure. A few minutes later, we'd try again. Over a period of weeks, I was able to get closer by increments. Eventually we got to the point where we could stand right next to it without causing her any alarm. And now she'll even perch on it!

Good job Maya! We are all very proud of you sweet heart for getting over your fears of brooms! High four Maya! :D Good job teacher! How did you do that???

Hahahahahahaha! @ "High four!" Thanks! I'm really proud of her, too!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Nice job Maya! Next thing you know your dad will be asking you to help with the sweeping.

Thanks, K1! And believe me, having her help with the sweeping is not out of the question! Lol! Love the pic of Zoe and K2! I think I'll show it to Maya for inspiration!

Go Maya! She looks quite confident on her newfound perch:) Pretty soon she'll be doing housework!

Thanks, April! She's definitely feeling pretty confident around the broom nowadays! Now I just need to work out a strategy for teaching her to help out with the housework. Time for her to start pulling her weight around here! Haha!

That is fantastic!

Thanks, Tracey! I think so, too. Definitely made me happy.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you, Doc! Your training makes perfect sense. Harry is so terrified of brooms, I keep them out of her sight and use them while she is in another room. I may very slowly try to use Maya's method.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Ya you, Maya!!! She looks so pleased with herself :D !

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Great job! She looks beautiful!
Smart thinking putting yourself between her and the danger, that is what a male would do for her or a parent. I am sure she appreciates the time and care you took getting her over this fear.:)

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thank you, Doc! Your training makes perfect sense. Harry is so terrified of brooms, I keep them out of her sight and use them while she is in another room. I may very slowly try to use Maya's method.

You're most welcome, Huckleberry! Yes, that's exactly how Maya used to react! You ever forget about her phobia and start sweeping? Hahaha! High comedy! I'd just see a blurred streak of red and blue and she was gone! So I knew we had to do something.

As brilliant as Harry is, I'm sure she'll pick up on it in no time. Let me know how it goes.

Ya you, Maya!!! She looks so pleased with herself :D !

Hahaha! She always looks pleased with herself!
Way to go Maya!!! That is fabulous.
Thanks! Sure makes sweeping a less... adventurous proposition. Lol!

Great job! She looks beautiful!
Smart thinking putting yourself between her and the danger, that is what a male would do for her or a parent. I am sure she appreciates the time and care you took getting her over this fear.:)

Thanks, Laura! In a lot of ways, she does seem even closer to me than before. Like she feels more confident in her safety, you know?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She already helps with the housework...

She makes the messes, so that you have something to clean up. It keeps busy and out of trouble.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Thanks, April! She's definitely feeling pretty confident around the broom nowadays! Now I just need to work out a strategy for teaching her to help out with the housework. Time for her to start pulling her weight around here! Haha!

Here you go:

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-27%20at%207.42.51%20AM_zpsoirpoliv.png

Meanwhile Jolly can mow the lawn and clear out the gutters:54:

Hey! If we humans could teach our parrots to do chores, we'd never have to clean again:D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
YAY Maya!!! Such a sweet and Brave girl! I think it helps to have such a sweet and wonderful Dad & Mom too:) She is glowing with health, HT, She looks amazing.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Would you look at THAAAAT? :eek: Did you cast a spell on Maya? :D

What a fantastic update, Stephen! Go Maya!! :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
See dad, I'm not really a big sissy! :)

Hahahahahahahahaha! Nope. No sissy there!

Oh that is CUTE. Great job with Maya, Stephen :)!!

Thanks Jules!

Thanks, Huckleberry! As for how it was a three stage process. First I worked on our bond, getting her to trust me and feel safe with me. Then I worked on establishing an association between me saying that everything is okay and a feeling of comfort or protection. (Like anytime something would startle her or make her wary, I'd turn with her to interpose myself between her and the "threat" and quietly reassured her as I walked her away from it.) And then finally I began conditioning her to it. I'd put it in the same room as us and then slowly approach with her. By the time I got to within 13 or so feet, she'd start getting antsy. So I'd halt my approach and reassure. A few minutes later, we'd try again. Over a period of weeks, I was able to get closer by increments. Eventually we got to the point where we could stand right next to it without causing her any alarm. And now she'll even perch on it!

Hahahahahahaha! @ "High four!" Thanks! I'm really proud of her, too!

Right on! This process works for even us featherless challenged. I use this approach on myself! Re association! 'She really isn't the wicked witch of the west, just your wife'. Oh wait, I now have a tail?!

Most Reactions