Should we get them?

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
So my mom showed me this ad.
2 Birds
She's willing to get them if I downsize on ringneck pigeons, and if both species are fairly quiet.

So... I've read Meyers are pretty quiet. What about lovebirds? The lovebird looks to be plucking or plucked. Would we have to separate them, they're living together now. Their cage looks really dirty.

Ugh, I want them, but then again... Not sure how much they'll cost in terms of new cage (if needed), toys, cleaning, etc. that bell looks filthy.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Lovebirds can be loud. Meyers are known for being quieter, bit there's always the exception.

I also agree that they need a new cage.

OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Are they consistently loud, or just loud when they want to be? I know all birds can be loud, but say flock call, how often do they call? Kiwi doesn't call very often, but when he does its loud.

I emailed them asking questions. Do you think the cage could be saved with bleach & pliers (since there's bent bars)?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
That cage looks like it needs to be tossed immediately IMO.

You might listen to their calls on YouTube to get an idea of how loud they can be.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I agree, it seems a bit strange to rehome the doves so you can adopt two more parrots. If you know someone who can take excellent care of them it's not as bad.

Love birds can be pretty loud

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
So my mom showed me this ad.
2 Birds
She's willing to get them if I downsize on ringneck pigeons, and if both species are fairly quiet.

So... I've read Meyers are pretty quiet. What about lovebirds? The lovebird looks to be plucking or plucked. Would we have to separate them, they're living together now. Their cage looks really dirty.

Ugh, I want them, but then again... Not sure how much they'll cost in terms of new cage (if needed), toys, cleaning, etc. that bell looks filthy.

Love birds to me are like cockatiels when it come to their calls. not that they sound the same just their incessant nature. Myers are the quietist of the poi family. They do have a hi pitched sound to them, but certainly not deafening. Its nothing compared to my Sennie.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
The good thing is they both look healthy. The cage is deplorable, round cages stink and never should have been invented. But if you had the right cage looks like they could be houses together.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I've never has a Meyers. I do have a friend with one and I'd say my sennie is the quieter of the two. Just goes to show there are no guarantees that birds will act according to their profile :)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I've never has a Meyers. I do have a friend with one and I'd say my sennie is the quieter of the two. Just goes to show there are no guarantees that birds will act according to their profile :)

Very true. The Myers I had was pretty quiet, a lot quieter than Rio my Senegal. Every bird is different and so are people when it comes to noise. I can't handle cockatiels, lovebird, or conure calls. But I can deal with a Myer or a Senegal calls.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

Very true. The Myers I had was pretty quiet, a lot quieter than Rio my Senegal. Every bird is different and so are people when it comes to noise. I can't handle cockatiels, lovebird, or conure calls. But I can deal with a Myer or a Senegal calls.

Ditto!!!!!!

OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Sorry, i shouldve specified. we breed Pigeons & Ringnecks, right now we have 3 breeding pairs

And 8 babies. its 2 babies a month, 3 trios, well it adds up quickly. We let the 3 pairs hatch out 6 total one month, then only 1 egg per pair next month, and sold one squab. So they add up quickly -and are on birth control now- but what i meant was NOT keeping one of the squabs (well 2) as a new breeder (since im breeding them as pets & 4h so looking for cleaner colored, better stance, etc.) but rather sell them and just focus on the 6 we have. I'm already considering going down to 2 though, since they are a mess, and LOVE to fight... >.< Theyre quiet though.
Anyways, point is i wasn't going to sell a beloved pet or anything, they're half pets half 4h projects. Something to keep me going since we went from 40 chickens, 10 duck, 5 geese, 20 pigeons, and 4 chukars to 5 chickens (soon to be 3), 2 chukars, 10 pigeons (or so) & 1 parrot. Oh and the ringnecks

Hmm... if we visit them ill see how bad the cage is. does it need to be thrown out because of bad design, or just because it was mistreated? I think it might be salvagable with just some good work. Or if its the design then not sure what to do about that.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I agree the cage is bad design. Round cages are terrible for parrots.

Last edited:
OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Ok, just curious - why? I know that octogon cages aren't usually shunned, so why round?

Emailed the person, they haven't emailed back. I'm not in a hurry or panic to get them - just trying to asses what would need to be done if we got them,

Most Reactions

Latest posts