May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
Green cheek conure "squeakers"
CAG"Barney"
Akiro has always been healthy and has been to the vet before but today she look like she has an eye booger on her right eye. I'm pretty sure it's not normal but I figured I'd get opinions she hasn't really done anything different but she did take a bath yesterday other then that she's eating, drinking, playing, and flying fine and it doesn't seem to bother her. I don't want to touch it either because it is on her eye
It's the grey thing in the bottom corner
image_zps31aee6b7.jpg

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
You could just wait a day and see if it improves...then if it doesn't you could go to the vet. If the expense isn't too much of a problem I'd say you should get it checked out, though, just in case. Good luck!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How long has the thing been there? Does it seem to be bothering her at all? I would keep a close eye on it, and it you notice it starts growing, I'd take her to the vet. Does the grey thing appear to be attached to her third eyelid?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Did you notice when it appeared?
Keep and eye on it, if no change take action
If still visible I would take her to the vet

OP
Mariahh0721

Mariahh0721

May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
CAG"Barney"
It just appeared today it seems to be attached to her bottom eyelid it doesn't seem to bother her though it looks almost like a sty (I think that's how you spell it) but ill keep an eye and if it doesn't go away ill take her in how long should I wait?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Is it like what people get when they wake up after a sleep? Gunky stuff around the eye, or is it like a growth, or particle?

You could try flushing the eye (with 'eye safe' saline&with a syringe, or something similar) to see if it helps 'remove' the problem, if it seems to be gunk/particle. or using a cotton bud/stick to help. If that does nothing, give it a day or two and see if she gets rid herself, then a vet visit if not!

But if it's a growth of some type, a vet visit would be best!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
It just appeared today it seems to be attached to her bottom eyelid it doesn't seem to bother her though it looks almost like a sty (I think that's how you spell it) but ill keep an eye and if it doesn't go away ill take her in how long should I wait?

A sty is an infection and would be best with a vet visit. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My Hunter (YN Amazon) had a growth on her third eyelid. It was a Xanthoma. It had to be removed surgically as it grew quite large and began irritating her.

I, too, originally thought it looked just like a sty. I've been digging through pictures to show you what it looked like prior to her first surgery:

OP
Mariahh0721

Mariahh0721

May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
CAG"Barney"
I just tried to look at it a little bit better and it look like an eye booger that we get when we wake up, it's weird because when she closes her eye it goes away then it's back again when she reopenes them

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Might want to try using a warm washcloth and see if you can get it removed that way or giving her a bath, perhaps?

OP
Mariahh0721

Mariahh0721

May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
CAG"Barney"
That's what I was thinking I just wanted her to relax for awhile buy tonight ill give her a bath and see how it goes

FlockFive

Jul 17, 2017
Parrots
Happy the green cheek, yellow sided conure. Bella the african grey congo. Lemon the meyers parrot.
If it looks like a booger - have you introduced any new birds, tree branches, perches/toys from pet stores that house other animals? The reason I am asking is worst case scenario - it could be mites. A clearer picture would be very helpful!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This Thread is fairly old and several of the members are either not currently active or visit less regularly.

As a General Statement: Anything on or in the eye should be seen by an Avian Vet if it does not clear within a few hours and certainly do not wait a few days.

Contact your Avian Professional and get into see them very soon.

Most Reactions