Should you visit your parrot after it has been re-homed?

ChicofrmPuertoRico

Jun 9, 2014
Allentown, PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I have a blue and gold macaw that I am in the process of re-homing due to my schedule not allowing me to devot the proper time to him. This process has been harder then I have ever expected. One of my main concerns is that I would like to continue to stay in my macaw's life and visit him periodically once he gets adjusted to his new owner. I have receiving mixed feedback about this plan...some are saying that it wouldn't be healthy or fair to my macaw's emotions and adjustment to his new home. Other's are saying it's a great idea. I thought I would propose this question to the parrot experts out there. Any information would be much appreciated.

It is an enormous fear of mine, that any potential new owners who would not want me to visit, are saying that because they will re-home my macaw and then flip him for a profit. I am horified over the fact that some monsters out there adopt free birds and then resell them. Do you think this is a sign of that happening?

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I think it's hard to say. When you re-home an animal, you aren't necessarily making friends. To visit the bird, these people need to be friendly with you, not just with the bird.

There are flippers, but if that worries you, you should either charge a fee or re-home through a rescue that charges a fee. It's really not reasonable to visit the bird unless you re-home to someone who already is your friend or is interested in your friendship, not just your bird.

IMHO, anyway.

As far as the bird's emotions, I don't know. I'm just responding from the view of someone who has rescued/re-homed pets living with me. If my cat's previous owner wanted to come visit, that would be weird and awkward.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I would have a tough time re-homing my bird if I didn't know the person...

I would want to know that I was giving my bird a better life. I don't think it's an unreasonable request. UNLESS the bird acts up with the new owner because he's bonded to you.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It is an enormous fear of mine, that any potential new owners who would not want me to visit, are saying that because they will re-home my macaw and then flip him for a profit. I am horified over the fact that some monsters out there adopt free birds and then resell them. Do you think this is a sign of that happening?

Yes, very well could be. There are TONS and TONS of bird flippers. People will tell you anything you want to hear, trying to put your mind at ease, and then the moment the bird is in their possession, you will never hear from them again. Sad fact, but true fact. :(

OP
C

ChicofrmPuertoRico

Jun 9, 2014
Allentown, PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Thank you for the responses. All the information I can get is appreciated. Lynn, the owner of Feathered Sanctuary in Lancaster, PA has room for Chico (my blue and gold.) I am starting to feel that going the santuary route might be the most reassuring way to make sure he ends up in a happy, trusting home. She does charge $600-$800 for a macaw adoption fee. Any thoughts? I was going to make a seperate post asking about info regarding Feathered Sanctuary.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'm not sure how visiting the new owners would stop them from flipping the bird. Once in their possession they are free to do what ever. You could have them sign something that states you get first choice to get the bird back if they decide to get rid of it. The rescue is a much better choice.(if you research them and find them to be honest and on the up and up. ie; references, interviews, etc.)

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That may a very good solution, Audrey. I personally know nothing of the sanctuary, so perhaps asking about it would be a good idea. :)

Does the sanctuary allow you to visit Chico whenever you want?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah you can have a rehoming agreement, that basically states the bird will not be sold or rehomed without first obtaining your express written permission.

But, realistically, what are the chances of anyone actually enforcing that contract? Are you going to go to court and get a restraining order?

Hire a private investigator, and track the new owner down if he sold it without permission? Have a birdie custody battle?

Bottom line, MAKE SURE BEFORE.... BECAUSE ONCE YOU DO IT'S TOO LATE!!!

I've fostered and rehomed a fair amount in my day. I always wanted to know something about where they were going, and who they were going to. If they were good people, I could be content with it and move on. Not knowing would leave serious lingering doubts that would keep me up at night...

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I haven't had to rehome any fids, but like others have said- some people will tell you anything just to get their hands on a free bird...and these stories people tell you are meant to make you feel comfortable and play on your emotions. It's sick what kind of crap comes out of some peoples' mouths because all they care about is making a quick buck. I would have a hard time rehoming to a stranger [emoji51]

If I had to re-home chili (for example), as much as I would dearly love to visit her if I could, I wouldn't because I know it would create behavioral and emotional issues of me coming and going out of her new life.

IMHO I think going the rescue route is the best way because they have application and screening processes for adopters, and if they're doing things right they'll make sure the new parront(s) are a good match for Chico. You could also see if the rescue will let you get updates on Chico so you know how he's doing and hopefully his new family could keep you updated too (but that's not always an option).

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Most of my birds are rehomes, and I am still in touch with a lot of the people they came from. I send pictures and updates, and they are all welcome to come here any time (with advance notice, of course) to see them. No one has wanted to, which is also fine with me:)

However, that being said, I agree with the people above who said that really people could tell you anything just to get their hands on your beloved bird. I hope that you are able to find out good things about the sanctuary. I was just wondering though if it is really a rescue, because I was under the impression that a sanctuary did not adopt out the birds, and a rescue does?

Edit: I just saw in the other thread about this that it is a sanctuary and a rescue:)

Last edited:

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I recently had a bad re-homing experience, so I will briefly share my story.

I bit off more than I could chew with an ekkie I got from a neglectful home where he ate sunflower seeds in a small cage in a back room full of breeders. I loved him dearly but I could not keep him in my apartment, though trust me, I tried.
I made the difficult choice to re-home him. I talked to the woman for several days prior to her visiting him, she shared her experience with me and explained to me how he would be cared for. She even told me she would send me updates in a few months on his progress. She paid me a re-homing fee to insure she wouldn't take him and flip him.

Time went by and I received a text from her. It was addressed to me accidentally, regarding purchasing a male ekkie. I responded and ask how Yoshi(the one she got from me) was doing. Turns out she's deemed him "aggressive" and is trying to sell him for "what she paid" plus what she spent. And she's also keeping his large cage I sent him with, for her new baby ekkie she's getting in August. If she can't sell him she will give him to a breeder. I, being completely unable to do anything, feel awful. I wish I had been more careful when selecting who he went home with. All I can do now is hope that wherever he ends up, be it a home or a breeder, he is well cared for and happy.

You just have to be really careful. I would hate to see somebody else go through what I'm dealing with right now. It DOES happen. I'm wishing you the best, it sounds like the sanctuary might be your best choice.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I had a beautiful Slender Billed Corella who I had to rehome after several years in 2010. A very independent species of Too, but nonetheless she was literally like having a primate (and a very assertive primate at that), and I could just not handle accommodating her in my life any longer, sadly even after much research beforehand.
I found a lady I became friendly with on a bird group, and long story short, her ranch style house located on a good amount of land had aviaries and a whole house with plenty of time dedicated to parrots, and mainly large Cockatoos. Perfect.
We talked for a while afterwards, and she always said to me if I wanted to visit... (for friendship as well as the bird), but emotionally I just couldn't bring myself to do it. This bird was not too bonded to me, so that wasn't the issue here, but still it might have been at least "weird" for the bird to see me now and then, and IMPOSSIBLE for me to see her without bursting out into tears everytime :eek: so I decided it would not be a good idea.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I realize how difficult it must be to have to find a home for a beloved parrot because of unexpected circumstances or life changes. I respect anyone who makes the right, often heartbreaking decision in the bird's best interest instead of their own.

Three of my birds came to live with me because the owners no longer had a place in their homes for them. I keep hearing a rehoming fee insures a loving permanent home for your parrot. I understand that it may make you feel good, and I agree, it's far better than giving the bird away, but accepting a predetermined dollar amount from a stranger doesn't tell you anything about your bird's future home or owner. Also please keep in mind, after you find that home, the new owner usually has to make an immediate cage and accessory purchase and a vet visit. In some cases the first owner wants the new owner to refund every penny they spent on the bird before they decided he or she was no longer a good fit. Not accusing, but it is true in a lot of cases.

I would be overjoyed if my Cockatoo and my Quaker's former owners would have wanted to keep up with their birds after they came to live with me. I have no desire to be friends with their previous owners so I post photos and updates for each of my birds on my FB page. They could check on their birds without contacting me if they chose to. I am so proud of my birds' progress, I never miss an opportunity to brag. :) My birds' former owner made the transition so much more difficult than it had to be. She gave me no information about their diet, their health, their favorite toys, nothing. The birds told me everything I need to know. Well, almost, they still have their secrets. On the last day my poor birds spent with their first mom, she threw a screaming, hysterical hissy fit and unbelievably grabbed the cockatoo, bear hugged him, and slammed him into my son's chest, upside down, while she ran out of her house having an award winning tantrum. I'm not sure who the performance was for, she contacted me to take the birds. She didn't need the money for an organ transplant, she gave the cockatoo up of her own free will, because he is loud, imagine that! She demanded I also take the Quaker because she didn't like him. I adore him. She was not under duress to sell the bird, it was her decision. I had no problem with her histrionics, the birds did. She caused them so much undue trauma. Some days my bird room is like teaching an anger management class for birds. I don't blame them, I'd be angry too. The point I'm trying to make is I could have payed far less for the bird of my choice and brought home a just weaned baby, used my training abilities and funds to give the baby a great home. I think it's wonderful that people are able to do that, if it's right for them. Baby birds need good homes too, it can be such a rewarding experience and the birds lucky enough to get the right owners the first time, don't become rescues.

I'm not a rescue, I've never shopped for a free bird. I'm very picky about the next bird that needs a forever home. I think if you are looking for your birds next owner, you have every right to be picky. If the potential owner isn't willing to discuss your bird's future with you in a reasonable way, it would make me very suspicious. It wasn't my intention to rant, but to offer a view from the other side as well. There are excellent homes to be had for your feathered friends if you look for them, just like there are excellent original owners looking for the best opportunity for the bird. I wish you and your bird the best possible outcome.

OP
C

ChicofrmPuertoRico

Jun 9, 2014
Allentown, PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Thanks everyone! All of your responses have been very helpful. I am going to visiting Feathered Sanctuary and deciding of that might be the best option. I'll keep you posted.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I currently have only one bird left here, my beloved Valentino. The future situation I am faced with is probably going to force me to have to rehome my RFM. I am not involved with the local bird community anymore since about 2007. The local rescues here where i live I am not impressed with at all.

I worry a lot about having to actually rehome Valentino. It seems to me once I do this parrot companionship will end for me. I just don't think I will ever get back on my feet enough to be able to afford to keep a parrot. I want to keep Valentino so bad but I will not subject him to homelessness. I could probably foster him to my best friend (she offered) but I will not subject Valentino to her husband. I believe he would be abusive to Valentino and I will NOT subject him to that.

What I know now is when my Ex was out of town Valentino was WAY less stressed because I was less stressed. Now that she is back he is back to saying negative phrases and making those anger noises instead of chatting in a happy voice saying his normal phrases. She is to leave in September. If I able to pay the utilities and stay here until my home forecloses I will then be able to really take my time with rehoming Valentino making sure he is placed in the best situation I can find for him. I have reached out to our Avian vet and she is going to "keep an eye out" for good people that would want my RFM. Of course it is up to me to actually decide to do this. I have the control.

I pray for a miracle to happen in which everything falls into place smoothly and I will be able to take Valentino with me when I have to leave here. I will only keep Valentino if I can afford everything he needs and have a place to live that he can successfully reside in. I dream that this will happen. If I make the images of my needed miracle in my minds eye maybe it WILL work out for Valentino and me.

I have decided I will charge a rehoming fee for Valentino. I had to assign a value of him and his cage for the lawyer and the amount was $1500. This figure came from the species of the parrot, age of parrot and the current value of his stainless steel Kings 406 cage. I had to do a lot of research to get that number.

Right now I feel that I need to rehome Valentino. Like you with Chico I feel I cannot give him all that he deserves. In time I would like to believe that I will be able to get back on my feet enough so that I can care for him but I just don't know right now if I can. I do know I will take my time with doing this and did set the wheels in motion to begin the process of rehoming Valentino.

I will NOT want to visit Valentino after he goes to his new home. That would be way to hard on us both emotionally. Valentino is very bonded to me to the point he will protect me from my Ex. When we argue he will scream so loud no one can talk or be heard and the argument ends. There is just too much stress for me and him with my Ex still living here.

I hope all goes well with finding Chico a new home.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Our's are all rehomes...

Our Chiquita and Junior came from a very nice woman, who just found herself in a situation where finding them another home was the only choice. We have stayed in touch and I send pictures and updates. She would be welcome to visit if she wanted to (she feels it would be too hard on her and them).

Mickey's people just wanted to make a quick couple of dollars, and have never once bothered to see if she is ok. It makes me sad to think about it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts