shoulder bird or not??

animallovinmom

Oct 23, 2012
I was once told that letting larger birds sit on your shoulder shows them that they are in control or at least that they have the potiential to be in control , I was wondering if anyone has anything to say about this. Is your bird a shoulder bird or not? Mine is not so far but I havnt had him long enough to trust him near my ears and neck although we have a great relationship and I havnt been bitten what I was told awhile back stuck in my head so now im curious, do other people not allow shoulder sitting ?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Great question! I personally do NOT allow my birds on my shoulder. My personal #1 reason is because I wear earrings, and those shiny, dangly things seem irresistable to big, strong beaks. ;)

The ONLY bird who I allow on my shoulder is my 13 year old yellow nape (sans earrings), as she has never, in her entire life, shown ANY aggression whatsoever, not even during breeding season.

Amazons in particular can be quite moody, and sometimes we don't even know WHAT set them off. Now if you're walking about with an Amazon on your shoulder, it makes it rather difficult to see them, therefore you may possibly miss a sign that (s)he is getting a bit antsy and/or agitated and in that event you may end up having a chunk removed from your face.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I never allow Codie on my shoulder.. I value my Ears too much LOL

She now knows she is not allowed up there, so she has given up even trying:)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
On occasion Rosie is allowed on my shoulder but generally I keep her on my hand because her legs are weak and she gets off balance easily.

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
If you are asking about Amazons on shoulder I say NO!
But Eloy my Pionus is allowed, and I have had other birds that I really trust that also was allowed on my shoulder.
I don't think that they feel that they have more control on your shoulder, I don't believe in that at all.
But they can be really dangerous to yourself on your shoulder and Wendy explain that pretty well.

And don't mind about your ears, care for your face and eyes instead!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
If you are asking about Amazons on shoulder I say NO!
But Eloy my Pionus is allowed, and I have had other birds that I really trust that also was allowed on my shoulder.
I don't think that they feel that they have more control on your shoulder, I don't believe in that at all.
But they can be really dangerous to yourself on your shoulder and Wendy explain that pretty well.

And don't mind about your ears, care for your face and eyes instead!

I mind as much about my ears as I do my Face and Eyes!

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
Okey, I value my eyes and face more.
They have really nice skull cap in the shop and I have always wanted a::p (not true if I must to be honest)
Hat_Ruderalis_Men_black_1f_hoodlamb.jpg

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Okey, I value my eyes and face more.
They have really nice skull cap in the shop and I have always wanted a::p (not true if I must to be honest)
Hat_Ruderalis_Men_black_1f_hoodlamb.jpg

LOL... That would protect your ears, but not your face and eyes ;)

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I am letting Bosley on my shoulder, but only for short times and only in the house where we can control the events. I didn't at first because there wasn't enough trust.
He was on his original owners shoulder, so it was something he really wanted.
From what I've read shoulder can be OK under 2 rules. 1st there must be trust. 2ncd they must go off when requested period. Bosley does get off as soon as I put my arm out and say off.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I let my cockatiels, and lovebird on my shoulder, not my conure...I don't trust him yet and I value my neck,ears, and skin too much....I've also heard that if you are looking up at your bird while on your shoulder, that puts them into a more controlling dominant state. smaller birds are ok,cause your looking down at them, larger birds you have to look up at while on your shoulder.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
The reason it's not recommended is because you can't read your parrots body language. You have to trust your parrot completely to allow on your shoulder. It's a privilege to ride on ones shoulder & not a right.

It hasn't got anything to do with dominance that doesn't exist in the parrot world, however a parrot will always fly to the highest point for safety. If they are clipped that usually means shoulder or head.LOL.

Last edited:

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
I was iffy at first, but after reading Pepper's personality I decided shoulder was ok. But if she ever gets 'defensive' with the space, I will stop allowing it. For now, she will balk and back away when she doesn't want to get off when asked. Usually me insisting on it makes stepping up off the shoulder a second time successful. If the second time doesn't work, I go to the mirror where I can look her directly in the eyes at the mirror and tell her to step up and that works. She is totally unaggressive, though. Even at her most irritated she's only nipped-never broken the skin. I also do not wear jewelry, glasses, or anything very bird-tempting. She does punch holes in any shirt I wear.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
The smart people don't let large parrots on their shoulder. That said, some of us less than smart people are willing to take a calculated risk with some birds. I have one really excellent pet female that I let on my shoulder most of the time. I do not let her younger siblings on my shoulder because they are much mroe exciteable. Even my perfect girl has her moments when she is not shoulder worthy. I probably would not be willing to let most males on my shoulder period. Some females...maybe.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I agree with melissa, Have you seen the thread in the behavior section , Post Pics of your parrot bites? I do have a couple of long time pet zons who i let on my shoulder but even then they're not really used to being allowed there so it's not somewhere they try and go to.As pedro said ,you can't read a bird on your shoulder. IMO i wouldn't allow them there and it won't be an issue. My pet hen zon of 42 yrs ,Jake, sometime i want her on my shoulder to free up my hands, i have to force her to step up to my shoulder. It's just not a good practice to get into.

Last edited:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I never let my macaw on my shoulder. I like having all my body parts in their original condition. Remember, birds are animals and unpredictable.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
It stands for small birds too ?! I thought it was only for large birds, does that mean I can't put my budgies on my shoulder anymore because it could make them feel dominant ? Or does that not mean for parakeets and conures as I kindev wanted my new conure on my shoulder ?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Birdlover, i'd wait till he's old enough that you know it won't cause problems. Maybe after a couple of years (when mature) and your really best buds , with no behavioral issues. I know a few conures who'd love to get on your shoulder and bite the heck out of your ear, owwwie.

michael_cb_125

May 21, 2012
Scarlett my female Ekkie is a shoulder bird. She has been that way from day one (when I first got her). But I fear after reading and talking to many parrot owners that my our story is not the typical one.

Scarlet would not allow her previous owner to even touch her. She was a very aggressive domineering parrot who wanted nothing to do with people or the other Ekkie (male) in the house. As soon as I met Scarlet she crawled up my leg and up to my shoulder. Her previous owner was very worried and told me to her her off, that she would eat my ears. Well, that was not the case, she started preening me, and rubbing her beak all over my face.

It has been about eight months of shoulder riding for her, and I have not one scar. (fingers crossed). She has never shown any aggression and never bitten me.

So, how many other stories like mine are there?

~Michael

Jordensgirl13

Nov 4, 2012
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Chance
The cockatoo I used to have would always sit on my shoulder and I never had a problem from her, except her not wanting to get down.

Most Reactions

Latest posts