shoulder bird or not??

LivLaughLov

Jul 28, 2012
Media
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Baby Galah: Raime (F)
We are not allowing our baby Cockatoo on our shoulders ever. My husband and I would like to as she is so sweet and it would be a sturdier place for her as she is missing 3 toes. But my research brought up excellent points. What if your trusted bird was startled while on your shoulder by a picture falling off the wall or a door slamming or someone knocking loudly at your door or any of the many other things we cannot control?

LivLaughLov

Jul 28, 2012
Media
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Baby Galah: Raime (F)
On occasion Rosie is allowed on my shoulder but generally I keep her on my hand because her legs are weak and she gets off balance easily.

Copperarabian I have been wanting to ask you questions but didn't know how. :) My Galah (missing 3 toes) has not stepped up to our hands or arms yet, but she will step up to a natural perch when asked. Her breeder did not teach her to step up as I thought, so apparently I did. The first time I got her to step up was on my arm and she started to slide. Poor baby. But she will reliably step up onto a perch unless she is on the floor. (Her favorite spot.) Then I have to capture her with her Peek A Boo towel if I need her off the floor. Any ideas? Thank you. :)

Laurie

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Any bird can be unpredictable! BUT as long as there's been any sort of biting issues or not listening to commands, you should take pre-caution! I've mentioned this once before, a customer of mine who had her African Grey for over 30 years since he was a baby as she raised him herself. One day he decided to bite her lip off and she had to hold her lip to her face while driving herself to the ER.

My Macaw Willie who NEVER bites me until he turned 10 years old when he reached his full maturity. She opened up my skin like banana peel within seconds. I was completely in shock when he did it as I didn't catch his changes in behavior until it was too late....

Java my Umbrella Cockatoo was a good loving bird that chose me from the previous owner. They let him on their shoulders and he likes to cuddle near their face. This was after several months of owning him. He was sleeping on my legs while huddle up to me closely and then he woke up wanting to come up to my face. We've gone through this same routine every single night where he wants to come up closer to my face and I told him no every time. This time he was not liking the answer and started biting anywhere he can get ahold of me. While taking the bites, I rush towards his cage while he was biting my arms here and there. I had to make him go back inside while he was still biting. I got him back in but I was drenching with blood everywhere....IF he had been on my shoulders, think of the consequences....I'm always weary of Cockatoos anyways cause they can be like that. A friend of mine who owns 4 just recently took pics of her wounds on facebook and there pretty nasty bites. Another friend's Cockatoo bite her thigh pretty good too....

That being said, do I allow certain birds on my shoulders, YES. My ekkies as they both loves either one of us here. My Cockatiels as they don't really do any damage and I've had them on my shoulders for 16 years without any issues....

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
To me, it all depends on the individual bird and your bond with that bird. Some birds are sweet, but just too unpredictable. Rarely though, you will have such a strong bond with your bird, you can trust them. Use common sense here, and know there is ALWAYS the risk of getting your ear or face bitten, which is something you have to accept if you do choose to allow your bird on your shoulder. Even the sweetest, most well behaved bird is still an animal. I grew up with large parrots, and there was only 1 of them (a female amazon I was particularly close to) who I would allow on my shoulder. Even then, I always knew there was a possibility she could bite, though she never did. I will not allow my 15 y/o rescue blue front on my shoulder, but my husband allows him up on his shoulder sometimes. Kiwi is a sweet bird, and has mellowed out a lot since we adopted him, but he was severely mistreated the first 10 years of his life, and I just feel he is too unpredictable to trust in a place of "dominance" near my eyes and ears. My husband is much more bonded to him, though I still think it's dangerous for him to allow him up there.

It sounds like you are not confident enough in your bird not to bite you to allow him on your shoulder at this point. Continue working with him to form a strong bond, and maybe in a few years, he will be trustworthy enough. And a better way to look at shoulder sitting is that it is a privilege that must be EARNED, and that some birds will just never earn the privilege, others can. Best of luck.

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
my eccie is completely non agressive, and i allow him on my shoulder sometimes, but he prefers to sit on my chest so he can see my face. That said, i wear earrings and he knows not to touch them. He is very well behaved.
In saying that, I dont allow him on my husband or my stepchildren's shoulders. He has never shown even a hint of aggression, but he is strongly bonded to me and gets jealous of my husband. He doesnt have jealousy issues with the kids - they tuck him into the pram, cuddle him - he is really very very tolerant, but it only takes one bad day or bad decision/not reading his moods, and that would be a disaster!
im willing to take the risk (this bird has never ever bitten me, even when the poor thing was being held by me and getting 4 rectal swabs ...poor boy) but im not willing to risk the kids eyeballs :)
its up to you. You need an extremely strong bond of trust with your bird - and one who is placid in nature!. I would never allow my alexandrine on my shoulder, or even my cockateil for that matter.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I dont have Ville on my sholder, he has never bite me but I dont trust him for 100%. Also do to poo, I dont like that on my back

Most Reactions

Latest posts