paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
I don't see a problem with having your bird on your shoulder if its well trained and good behaved and as for the bird sliping I always tend to wear clothes that the bird can get a firm grip of to prevent it from sliping

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
One of my conures or the other is almost always on my shoulder. Sometimes I think they are there when they aren't I am so accustomed to it. I have to be careful and not walk out the door with them on my shoulder. I love it myself. Of course I don't know about Cockatoos.
When I unload the dishwasher when I bend over he goes down my back and when I straighten up he walks back up to my shoulder. It is really quite comical, up and down over and over. He never falls. Now Nacho the Sun is a little more clumsy and I can't make any sudden moves. LOL Forrest just seems to lock in place until he is ready to fly somewhere else.

BMac

Jul 12, 2012
Dishgal, I just read your last post and must say it is very timely. I said in my previous post that Piki was always on my shoulder, just like your two conures. Today, I think I quite topped all my crazy blunders. I had to make a dash to pick up a couple items from the computer shop and then to the supermarket and buy groceries. In the supermarket I could see several people staring at me strangely. But it wasn't until I got to the check out and the lady commented about my 'little friend'. Perched quite happily on my shoulder was Piki. Forgetting he was there I travelled throughout the town unaware of my passenger. I'm just pleased he has been trained not to fly. . . and yes, his wings are clipped. We got home safely after a two and a half outing, I put him in his cage to get something to eat, then I sat down with a big bourbon and coke and quietly had my own nervous breakdown which I think was owed to me.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Perched quite happily on my shoulder was Piki. Forgetting he was there I travelled throughout the town unaware of my passenger.
The supermarket is one of the scariest places to be for a bird that would normally never leave the house. Everything is designed to be bright and attract your attention, it can be overwhelming to some parrots - but Piki did really well! :D

It sounds like you're in the perfect situation where, if you want to, you can show Piki around the outside world.
Under more tightly controlled conditions perhaps! :p

BMac

Jul 12, 2012
You're right, Mudkips. I would have thought Piki would have freaked out, but he only sat closer to my neck and watched the world go by. I'm very lucky that his personality is very settled and self-confident. Ever since I got him 2 years ago he has 'lived' on my shoulder and gone every where with me. He loves to go camping and tramping through NZ's bush. I had to do my research first because I didn't know what plants would be poisonous to him as he loves to nibble while exploring. There's a lovely swimming hole with slow moving water that I love to go swimming in when camping. Piki discovered he loves the water. The little monkey may not be able to fly with his wings clipped, but it only took a few minutes to discover he could swim like a fish. He started by bathing in the shallows and then decided to come to me in deeper water. Watching a bedraggled and soaked rainbow lory doing the butterfly stroke is priceless. I was nervous watching him, but Rocky freaked out and dove in after him. Piki swam to be about 4 metres, but decided to ride Rocky back to the shore. Rainbow lorikeets never fail to amaze me with how much and how fast they learn.

RDH1

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo,Hahns Mcaw,Cockateil,Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Parolette
I only allow my conure on my shoulder if I am seated at the computer.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I dont allow Codie on my shoulder at all! I would like to keep my Ears and Face intact! She now knows she is not allowed on my shoulder, so therefore she doesn't attempt to do it anymore:)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
This is actually the one thing that my breeder friend and I disagree on. She refuses to let ANY bird on her shoulders and advised me to do the same. I also definitely see her point, Miri (GW) was on me one day and was in a very playful mood, she reached down (very quickly) and bit my ear pretty hard. :11: I know for a fact it was in a playful gesture but none the less, it hurt and got my attention. It also scared her as well due to the words that came out of my mouth at the time (no, I won't repeat them). I learned a lesson then that I won't forget, I now can pretty much tell from their weight shifting on my shoulder what they're up to and have learned to be very aware of that. On the other hand, every time I let ReaRea (GW) out, she immediately heads for my shoulder. Granted, I don't let her all the time but quite frequently I do. I'd say 80% of the time I let her on me she does the same thing, she reaches down and starts nibbling on my neck. :rolleyes: Since I know this is coming I still reach up and grab her beak and tell her no, but to her it's "play time, I finally got my Daddy" and she ain't stopping.:20: But at least my hand is on her beak in case she forgets her own strength.

So what I'm saying is that I can see both sides of the fence from here :)

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
Lucy is allowed on shoulders. She nibbles and preens, but never bites. I accept the risk of face biting should she fall, but im ugly anyway. Nothing to worry about lol

Most Reactions