Shower questions

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Okay, here we go:
I have never showered with my bird because I have so many questions----

1. Do you use soap with the bird in the shower (not on the bird, but near the bird)?

I worry about what would happen if some splashed onto her and I also worry about her breathing in scented shampoo particles in the steamy air (I used Herbal Essences and I know that is a bad shampoo, but I am not worried about me so much as I am about my bird)

2. What temperature do you use? I have heard that warm water (human shower temp) can be too warm...

3. Afterwards, what temperature does the bird need to be to avoid a chill? Mine hates the blow-dryer, so air-drying is really the only option but even 78 degrees feels chilly when stepping out of the shower.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
1. No soap

2. Whatever temperature they like best. Some like it warmer, some like it colder. I go a bit cooler than my owns tandard shower, and play with it.

3. Air drying at room temperature is ok and unavoidable unless you plan to use a space heater in a room.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
so you don't actually shower with your bird--- you just go in there with the bird but don't actually do it for your own benefit, correct?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Welll, my shower gets (over)crowded most days-

so there is the macaw on her very own perch or my forearm, one of the greys on the towelrail, the other one on my shoulder.
They kind of have this relay-race going on.
I sort of manage to get clean in between or after their turns ;)

I do brush my teeth in the meanwhile -> they are all super-soakers so it takes a while for them to be happy.
That of course led to Sunny having her beak brushed (she has her own toothbrush now) - Japie prefers the electronic toothbrush, so that's his ...
(Japie is the mechanical minded of the bunch- he just loves everything that buzzes or vibrates .... hmmmm TMI perhaps? It's just on his head! Oh and the nail file someone gave me... he loooooves the mechanical nail file)

I am lucky they are okay with a rather warm (parrot-bodytemp or slightly lower for them) spray, so I don't have to stand around and freeze :D

Shampoo kind of happens sometimes (when I am birdfree) and of course they are not in contact with the tootpaste at any time. Roll-on deodorant, so no problem there, and only after they've been put downstairs.

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
1. I use soap / shampoo / toothpaste in the shower (yes I brush my teeth in there too) while my sun conure Boomer perches nearby. I do shower with a big window swung open and the bathroom door wide open (I live alone and yes have weird shower habits). Been doing it for years, haven't had any problems. I choose soap / shampoo that have gentle scents and if I can, hypoallergenic. I never use any products on Boomer. If you feel uncomfortable then by all means avoid this practice of course.

2. Room temp water for normal days, slightly warm on very cold days. I don't overdo the warm water because it will strip good oils from his feathers.

3. I always let him dry under direct sunlight, no window pane. Great way to get his sun exposure because he actually loves drying this way. I don't use hair dryers because I don't have one (lol) and even if I did, I worry about how it could damage his feathers. Some people pre-dry with towel then sun-dry after.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I shower with Buddy, use soap and shampoo. He starts out on his shower perch at the foot of the tub. I use lukewarm water, shampoo and wash quickly because the battle begins, Buddy is a shower hog. He wonā€™t shower alone. So once Iā€™m clean he has made his way to my shoulder to which he moves directly under the shower, wing slapping me in the face and screaming in my ear with pleasure. My Husband says the sounds are comical from the bathroom, Buddy really loves showers.

He then sun dries in front of his window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
so you don't actually shower with your bird--- you just go in there with the bird but don't actually do it for your own benefit, correct?

Ok I misread your soap question, thinking you meant using it on the bird, which is a nono. I have a dedicated shower rod for Parker to stand on. Heā€™s there most nights (Iā€™m a night time showerer). So yes, itā€™s a full shower for me and heā€™s safely out of the way. When I do actually pull him into the water itā€™s after Iā€™m done with myself. And only on the weekends when I wind up showering in the morning cause I feel like not worrying about it Friday night.

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
Female eclectus April,male eclectus Buddha(hulk)
I turn ac up 2 notches before , bring April in and put her on the further top perch and she watches me shower, I use savon de marseille soap same recipe as 1698 no chemicals at all, everything else is a synthetic detergent. love it on my hair , there is no scent whatsoever I use this to clean her fruit veggies even lettuce and dishes and cage . Then she starts gettin shower happy and we switch I have a seat in there she takes forever , and we sing itā€™s a good time bout 45 min lol, I have 2 perches one in the water and one up back a bit that we she can choose I just point to the other one and she lets me know when sheā€™s done , then I turn the heat up and rinse off sheā€™s starts falling asleep then . I take her in everyday , Iā€™d say every other day she gets in...ps I do not soap the birdie!

Last edited:

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Birdie loves the shower steaming up the bathroom, but refuses to actually come in the shower stall. She prefers bathing in her water dish on the screened porch. So she dries in the sun, has taken a bath in the air conditioned house and dries no problem without towels or sun. Sometimes she rubs herself on my t-shirt if she's really soaked.

Most Reactions

Latest posts