Shredding feathers :(

Mchal

Dec 7, 2011
Parrots
Bertram - Alexandrine Parrot
Hi all,

A few months ago Bert my nearly 1yo, Alexandrine, had a tumble (because he can't fly or glide or anything, they clipped his wings incorrectly as a baby) and tore out one of his primary flight/blood feathers on his right wing. It bled quite profusely and was really distressing, we took him to the vet and they had to put him under and pluck the rest of the feather as it wouldn't clot.
The vet gave us some medicam (anti-inflammatory/pain relief) and we gave him that for the next couple of days, because the fear was that he would start to pick there because it was uncomfortable.
So... my worst fear has been realised! Bert is now going through his first molt, which I was so excited about because his new flight feathers would come through and he would able to fly and not just fall to the ground, hard.
And now that his new ones are coming through he is shredding them. We went back to the vet and they gave more medicam and Bert is shredding them so badly they bleed all the time, so they also gave us some styptic powder to help with clotting.
But this isn't helping at all, I have to towel the poor, traumatized bird every couple of days to get under his wing and put the styptic powder on his bleeding shredded stumps where his feathers should be.
So I need help! He isn't touching any of his other feathers, just the flight ones on his right wing. So I know he's doing it because it uncomfortable and because he shreds them, it's painful (whenever he moves that wing he'll make a little squawk like it's hurting him).

So I was hoping any one would have some suggestions about what I can put on him to help with the pain and to help them heal a little? I heard manuka honey helps soothe and heal, would that help? Advice, help, anything would be really appreciated at this point!

Other than this, he is a happy, beautiful boy! I just hate to see him in pain :(

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
When Elvis hurt his leg after a nasty fall they gave us some honey flavoured pain reliever. Ask your vet and if he wont prescribe look at aroma therapy or herbs but just search the oils and herbs to check to be sure theyre safe

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Or get a collar the big lamo shade ones and i knw they have collars that are like pillows and inflate enough to block off chewing but dont gt in the way of anyth7g else

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I always thought that, when a feather was pulled completely, a new one would grow out straight away... :confused:

OP
M

Mchal

Dec 7, 2011
Parrots
Bertram - Alexandrine Parrot
Lene, it might have started to grow back straight away and if it did, he shredded it immediately because he doesn't have any flight feathers on his right wing. It's confusing for me know which stubby bits are new and which are old because he broke off his feather and then started his molt nearly straight away!

Most Reactions

Latest posts