Shutting down a bird flipper?

Smerft85

Jun 10, 2019
Colorful Colorado with colorful birds
Parrots
6 budgies, 3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and two Indian ringnecks
First off, I know I put fourth a good front and make folks believe I'm easy going and quiet, honestly I'm really not a very nice person once provoked. There was a lady on Craigslist who had a cockatiel posted roughly a month ago, bird was aggressive, not well taken care of and seemed like she was begging for a good home for him, so I offered. I was honest and not willing to pay much for aggression, so she freaked out, lied, claimed to be a single mom/rescue/rehab and absolutely had to have to money for the "other birds in her program.

I am now seeing her ads for budgies, more cockatiels, eclectus parrots, love birds ect ect ect, the bird she "couldn't afford to just give away" was donated back to the breeder whom I do know pretty well, she lies about ages on the birds, tries to backtrack and call aggression different name.

I have counted and flagged at least 7 different birds that are her posts, all of these birds haven't been given any attention, are in poor living conditions, and she is either at or above prices I could pay for hand raised babies. Even the breeder knew her name as soon as I mentioned her crazy attitude, but I felt better when he told me he had possession of the first cockatiel I was after. Sorry about the long winded post, but I really want to shut her down and give those birds a fighting chance, any pointers?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This process starts with you gaining an solid understanding of the Laws of your State and to what level your State enforces its Laws. From there, its onto your local governmental unit and what additional Laws they have in place, and as above, to what level they enforce them.

Your tall-wall is being able to prove that this person(s) is in fact breaking a Law. It requires far more than what a 'general' photo will provide unless by sheer luck, the picture 'they' provide show such.

The sad reality of social media like Craigslist is that individuals are offering property For Sale. Unless that property or their selling of it breaks across the Laws of your State, which is being enforced at all levels you are starting from a very difficult position. The good news is that more States and their local Government groups are providing Laws that provide greater support for Animals.

You're likely to get further reporting the individual to Craigslist.

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I don't blame you for your reaction when she started lying and making stories. I hate these kind of people!! There are a lot of these 'bird flippers' out there just looking to make a buck for poorly treated, unhealthy birds. They didn't do anything to deserve the treatment they get and it's all for money. Clearly there is no love for these birds at all so yes I'm tempted to believe she's a flipper.

OP
Smerft85

Smerft85

Jun 10, 2019
Colorful Colorado with colorful birds
Parrots
6 budgies, 3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and two Indian ringnecks
I don't blame you for your reaction when she started lying and making stories. I hate these kind of people!! There are a lot of these 'bird flippers' out there just looking to make a buck for poorly treated, unhealthy birds. They didn't do anything to deserve the treatment they get and it's all for money. Clearly there is no love for these birds at all so yes I'm tempted to believe she's a flipper.

I can just about guarantee it, when I was trying to take in the first male she posted, she decided to tell me a little about myself and how he is hormonal and I "don't have a compatible female" as if I have no birds or experience, after explaining that I have several and have been experienced with birds as well as other critters since childhood, with my wife being a 20 year veterinary technician to boot. I just want to shut her down badly. I've already publicised her name, conditions of her animals, blasted her lies, and called her out in general, both publicly as well as personally over text message.

Any legal ways to stop her damaging behavior? Don't know that animal control in her area would even bother, nor local law enforcement considering a robbery on video was never taken to court in the same county. If only I could somehow do a "welfare confiscation" of all of her birds, somehow.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If only I could somehow do a "welfare confiscation" of all of her birds, somehow.

Take great care regarding such activity as that action really runs the fine edge between you being in jail or having more birds! Best to be working with an Animal Protection Group that understand what is needed to assure everyone is not setting in jail.

I well know that I have not offered any 'action suggestion' that due to the vast variation from one State to another.

Most Reactions