shy or scared????

Yellowpeaches

Aug 28, 2013
Media
ottawa, ontario
Parrots
Yellow ring neck
To give some history before asking my question ,I purchased a 4 month(?) ringneck parrot 3 weeks ago from a kijji ad. When I got him /her (not dna tested) I was told that he was hand raised by the breeder. And that the person who was selling it had clipped its wings.
When I got her home I noticed that the flightwings were cut in the wrong direction,and had blood on them. I also noticed that her beak is not smooth at the tip.
So my questions are will her flight wings grow in properly. And is it normal for the beak to be not smooth. She moves away from me when she is on top of her cage, is she scared or shy?
Thanks

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Sounds a bit scared to me, have you tried any training methods with your ringneck? Clicker training with a clicker can be very successful with taming and helping birds to gain some confidence.

Are you able to take a photo? It sounds like whoever had her didn't know what they were doing...

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
You've only had her 3 weeks. Be patient. Stay near her, talk to her, but, don't force yourself on her. She'll come to you when she's ready, and trusts you. It sounds like she's not been in the best situation before you. So, give her time. She needs to adjust.

OP
Y

Yellowpeaches

Aug 28, 2013
Media
ottawa, ontario
Parrots
Yellow ring neck
Thank you. I talk to her a lot every day since im home all day. I open her cage and let her come out on her own. Then I will sit beside her just letting her know I wont hurt her. But still when I try to get close she goes to the other side of the cage. Once I do get her on my hand (not forced) I walk around the house for a bit then put her on her cage and let her be.
What is the best clicker training video to watch?

Farhan213

Aug 26, 2013
Dear dont need to panic its natural the situation you're saying similar happened with my parrot after a year his totally set the result is very good.

OP
Y

Yellowpeaches

Aug 28, 2013
Media
ottawa, ontario
Parrots
Yellow ring neck
What about her flight feathers, do they grow back at all? she/he are in the molting stage.
The other question is I have the indian ring neck, is she easier to train then the African, or is there any difference?
Thank you

Most Reactions

Latest posts