shy timneh

geneisgod

Feb 11, 2011
This is my first post on here. I just got a 18 month old timneh grey. I have some experience with quakers before but this is my first grey. I havent had any biting issues but he is very scared of us... he is a little more comfortable with my wife than me. He will take treats out of both our hands but he is a lot more cautious with me... he will get just close enough to take it then goes back to the other side of the cage. what can i do to help him feel more comfortable with me? we have been trying to get him to step up but he doesnt want anything to do with that unless hes on the floor... we talk to him all the time and feed him treats, ive been putting my arm on his cage and getting him to take the treat off it hoping that will help him get used to it and step up on it... any training tips that will help me out?

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
The only tip I can give you is PATIENCE!

You both sound like you're doing really well if he is accepting treats etc.

Please remember he has been taken from his original home and everything is new. Greys are known to be one person birds (not always the case, obviously, but they certainly pick their favourite human like all birds) and it may be that your bird has already picked your wife. This does not mean you cannot get to be great friends too though.

You must remember the bonding process requires a lot of hard work and understanding from you. You cannot rush this. Parrot's are not like other pets like cat's and dog's. Things need to be on their terms initially. If he backs off...you do the same. He will come to respect you and appreciate that you are respecting him and entering his world.

Good luck!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hello and welcome. I too have a wonderful timmie named Rosie.
It sounds like this bird may not have been socialized well. Like others have said you need patience by the truck load. I do not think that putting your arm on the cage will accomplish anything. Many birds are cage possessive and will feel threatened by that. Just keep the door to the cage open and be nearby. Hold treats in your hands so they can be seen. Talk softly and minimize your eye contact at first. Timnehs are wonderful loving birds.

OP
G

geneisgod

Feb 11, 2011
I know its gonna take some time before he settles in with us... Im just tryin to make sure im not doing anything wrong, or if theres something else i can be doing to help him out? Is it bad to give him too many treats?

OP
G

geneisgod

Feb 11, 2011
he made a lot of progress today. once i got him off his cage and in another room he was eager to step up and let me rub him. If i work with him enough away from his cage will he eventually do it from his cage?

OP
G

geneisgod

Feb 11, 2011
he has started talking now but only when were not in the room... whats a good way to get him to talk in front of us?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
All of the things you've described sound like a scared little Timmie. It can take months for parrots to feel comfortable in their new surroundings. With lots of patience he'll feel more comfortable with your family all of these things will be resolved.

Most Reactions