SI Ekkie bonding help

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi, You wouldn't really know they were a compatable pair unless you offer them a nest box & she laid fertile eggs. How big is their cage? To successfully breed these birds you would need a cage at least 9 ftX 6 ft x 6 ft. They also need a very large L shaped nestbox.

How long have the pair been together. If for some time i can understand the frustration both birds must be under. Eclectus don't as a rule show to much affection towards each other, when the hen is ready to mate she will beg to be fed & then maybe let the male mate her. It really depends if the pair are compatable. Another problem that can arise is if they have been to human imprinted as is with the case of 1 of my males he has no idea what to do & he has had 3 or 4 hens, lots of eggs no babies. This last hen i have is showing promise but will have to see how they go once placed in the aviary.

My best advice is offer a nestbox & just see what happens. You really can't make them bond with each other that is something they have to do thmselves. Sorry i can't be of more help.

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Am not into breeding so I can not help you.

They are beautiful... what are their names.

Congrats on the pair... maybe if you put them in separate cages for a while might help.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I agree with Pedro. Actually the cage you show is not big enough for one ekkie. The need lots of room, especially with two. Even if bonded they need to be able to get away from one another if needed.

Most Reactions