Sick baby Conure

Jacquie

Apr 29, 2020
Hi everyone,
thanks for accepting me to the site. We got a baby sun conure last week, only 5 weeks old and she is literally fading away today. She has been chirpy, was feeding well, (syringe) but yesterday started to go off her food. Today, we've mixed her food with Yakult to counter any stomach infection she might have.

She is in her own box, has a heat lamp. Her crop is flat but no interest in food and no longer walking, eyes are shut and falling over.

Have called 2 vets, one doesn't do birds and the other can't see us until Friday.

Is there anything else we can do to help her??

Appreciate any suggestions.

thanks

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I dk if this will help, but it's something--
http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

An avian certified vet will help the most though. Sorry you are going through this...

Also- what kind of heat lamp its it??? Many are coated with deadly PTFE/PFOA/PFCs/Teflon... these can off-gas and kill birds. The University of Missouri lost a bunch of chicks when they updated their heat lamps due to the chemical coating...

Last edited:
OP
J

Jacquie

Apr 29, 2020
Thanks, will check the lamp, but have only used this today when she got poorly.

Thanks for the link, we’ve been warming the feeds etc, but something seriously gone wrong.

I totally agree that she was too young, but honestly thought we could do this.

This is my second parrot, we had an African grey that we got when he was 10 weeks, also did some hand feeding but he was so much stronger. Rio was much loved but when we moved from Middle East to Europe, we could’nt get travel papers for him, so he was rehomed.

Waited 4 years, but miss him so much , we decided to take Sunny last week.

Guess we need to see if she can make it through tonight, fingers crossed

Thanks for your help

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Thanks, will check the lamp, but have only used this today when she got poorly.

Thanks for the link, we’ve been warming the feeds etc, but something seriously gone wrong.

I totally agree that she was too young, but honestly thought we could do this.

This is my second parrot, we had an African grey that we got when he was 10 weeks, also did some hand feeding but he was so much stronger. Rio was much loved but when we moved from Middle East to Europe, we could’nt get travel papers for him, so he was rehomed.

Waited 4 years, but miss him so much , we decided to take Sunny last week.

Guess we need to see if she can make it through tonight, fingers crossed

Thanks for your help
Sorry you are going through this! Heat is very important if they are sickly, so if she was already acting sick, it probably isn't the light but you should definitely check. You do want to keep her warm for sure...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Sunny, wish I had a solution for you. Might find some helpful advice in the linked "unweaned baby" thread.

An avian vet would be so helpful. Can you smell Sunny's mouth area, notice a sour odor? Not familiar with "Yakult" but it seems to be a probiotic drink.

Good luck, please keep us updated.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Sending you good thoughts. Sorry I can't share any useful info, I don't have experience with baby birds. I hope he pulls through. Let us know how it goes.

OP
J

Jacquie

Apr 29, 2020
thanks for your help, unfortunately Sunny didn't make it. Heartbreaking, only had her couple of weeks, but bond was there.

Lessons learned, no more unweaned babies for me. At the moment not interested in looking for a new bird.

Good luck to you all with your feathered friends, hopefuly one day will be back on here with positive post and pics!

Jacquie

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
My sympathies to you :(

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure

Most Reactions