Sidney lost his pilot's license.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I hate to clip my birds, but today I ended up having to clip Sidney. After a week of being a hellion last month, he had been behaving rather well. I was getting confident that I could trust him again. But today he suddenly launched himself at my blue crown Tootsie from across the room and "tackled" her. And he got hold of her foot, fractured and lacerated a toe. She is in a splint and big green ball of vet wrap around the foot now. Not sure at this point if the toe will have to be removed or not. We go back to the Vet Thursday morning.

So he was clipped this evening after I returned home and with Tootsie and got her settled for the night. He isn't happy about it at all. Almost an hour later, he is still making his unhappy "squeeeep" noise out in the dark of the living room.

I just wish I had some kind of warning he was going to do this. The only thing that was out of his norm was he was flying around a lot more than usual. But I didn't think much about it. Goes to show, pay attention to everything these little critters do.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wishing the best for Tootsie! to clip,or not to clip,that is the question! Each situation is different and unique in my book.Amy shows zero interest in flying..period. BB however,was fledged and flys pretty well now,but he goes places he KNOWS he isen't supposed to go. A wellness check is right around the corner for both of them,and I'm leaning on shortening his sleeves.

Hormone time for Syd,James??

Jim

OP
JamesC

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
Yeah, I'm thinking it was hormones. I just totally missed any warning signs he gave. Or I became complacent. He is much more subdued now. Though it created another problem. My other blue crown, Rosco, has realized Sidney can't fly well now. That just turned his previous fascination with Sid up about 1000 times. Sid will walk places now and Rosco zooms right down to land near him. I might end up with a lot more separate out times.

Tootsie lost her toe today. But she is doing well. Detailed her situation in another thread if you are interested. There is even a link to a temporary camera feed inside her cage. http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/74312-tootsie-had-bad-day.html

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Those Poicephalus! They like the toes of others. Raven and Griffin are permanently lacking toenails because they insisted on landing on Robin’s cage. Even with a towel over his cage it doesn’t stop him from getting their toes. I guess Pois like the taste of parrot fingers.

I’m really sorry James, that your old girl got hurt, and needed to go to the vet. I hope she heals ASAP, and is okay with having the bandage on. Sidney will get over it :).

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Those Poicephalus! They like the toes of others.

That's for sure, no one is safe in flip flops around my Senegal. She hides under the patio furniture and then makes her attack. She's so gentle with my fingers while she's play biting, not so much my toes. It's like she doesn't realize they're connected to me. Or maybe she does know and just gets some kind of sick kick on inflicting pain on feet.

Last edited:
OP
JamesC

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
Sidney does the same to my feet. In my slippers, no worries. In socks or bare = pain.

Most Reactions