*Sigh* ... pet stores

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Is there some significance with Tractor stores and having chicks or bunnies. (Just wondering as none of ours have animals over here)

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
To me, personally, it is a sign of Spring ... that is the only significance it has to me. Little chicks chirping and sailing about hither and to. Spring is the only time of year the Tractor stores here have babies. It's probably just a regional difference, maybe?

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
yeah around easter these types of stores get them in. I really hate the practice though a lot of impulse buying goes on during that time and the shelters get loaded down with unwanted animals that the kids didn't care about or that just aren't too cute anymore.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
yeah around easter these types of stores get them in. I really hate the practice though a lot of impulse buying goes on during that time and the shelters get loaded down with unwanted animals that the kids didn't care about or that just aren't too cute anymore.

Sad and true, Kelli :(

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats the sort of thing that would happen here, at the moment its still xmas time (or just after) most places now breeders, and stores won't sell any animals in the run up to xmas. Which is great.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Thats the sort of thing that would happen here, at the moment its still xmas time (or just after) most places now breeders, and stores won't sell any animals in the run up to xmas. Which is great.

Wow!How caring and professional!I wish this could happen everywhere...

...but unfortunately it isn't! :(

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah its great, but it only started a few years back, but I guess better late than never. Unfortunately people now breed their dogs/cats etc around that time so they can make a few quick £££ :mad: So although we don't get as many abandoned pets after the holidays there are still a few.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
:confused: Christmas time in England is in July/August??? :confused: Peta, have you been into the "special closet" again this evening? I mean the liquid in the bottles in the "special closet" isn't for large consumption ... help us out on this one would you!

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
wait it's Christmas in ENgland? I thought everywhere had Christmas around December!?

Kelli, I wondered the same but wasn't brave enough to ask. :eek:

I am so geographically-challenged (geographically-declined), my husband gets embarrassed by my "silly" questions ... so I tend to smile, nod and keep my questions to myself and my mouth shut!

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I think that we may be reading what she wrote wrong...I think she was saying that's when this sort of thing happens...but I could be completely off the mark, I'm pretty challenged as well. ;)

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
While the tractor supply stores around here do have bunnies around easter time, and probably do take advantage of that, the chicks are usually just there in the early spring, as thats when folks would want to begin raising them. This is so they'll be ready in time for egg production when the batch of chickens from last year are moulting/worn out.
If they have them at the same time as easter I think it's probably just a coincidence. They wont even sell the chicks unless your willing to buy like 3 or more at a time for 2 reasons,
1) they need each others warmth for the ride home
2) Chicks do not do well by themselves.
My hens hid an egg from me and hatched it. I found the egg pipping in the coop one morning, thank god as my hens are very vicious with small fuzzy things. I raised young Frankie in my house and literally had it with me 24/7. I put him in one of those little fanny packs and strapped it to my waist. He slept tucked next ti my neck/chin. He screamed whenever I was gone.. my boyfriend and I even took him with us when we stayed out of town for a few days.. the motel didn't notice, lol!
He eventually grew up to be a rooster which was bad because I already had 1 rooster and only 3 hens. The two boys fought viciously and I was forced to give my sweet Frankie to a neighbor. He did well until he tried to tangle with some coyotes:(
Anyway, I don't know what people are thinking when they go out and just purchase an animal without researching.. whether it be for easter/Christmas.. whatever. I know that all of my animals, even the fish, require ALOT of time and work. I didn't research my one fish properly and now he is suffering for it because I can't afford a larger aquarium.
Wish there was some sort of training course folks had to take before they were allowed to purchase animals.. and reproduce:p lol

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, sorry it was late and Minzer got it right, I was talking about people breed their animals so they can sell babies round about xmas time. 2 xmas in a year, hell I'd be broke. its bad enough having one :D

I promise we do have xmas in December here, just like everyone else. :D

Most Reactions